Shankari Neeve Notation and Translation

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
shreyas320

Shankari Neeve Notation and Translation

Post by shreyas320 »

Hi all,

Can I get Shankari Neeve Notation and Translation by Subbaraya Sastri?

thanks,
Shreyas

Lakshman

Re: Shankari Neeve Notation and Translation

Post by Lakshman »

Please check your email.

shreyas320

Post by shreyas320 »

Do you happen to have it in english?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have sent a different version.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

shreyas320 wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 09:31Can I get Shankari Neeve Notation and Translation by Subbaraya Sastri?
If you are still looking for the meaning, here is my attempt. Smt. Savitri can correct mistakes.

pallavi
SaMkari nIvani santatamu kOri vacciti (SaMkari…)

(Believing) you to be (nIvani) the creator of auspiciousness (SaMkari) [1], I have always (santatamu) sought (kOri) (you), and have come (vacciti) (to you for refuge).

anupallavi
sankaTamu dIrci brOcuTak(u)inkevarunnAru ilalO pankajabhava sannuta

Oh (dEvI) praised (sannuta) by brahma, who came into being (bhava) in a lotus (pakaja)! Who else (inkevaru) is there (unnAru) in this world (ilalO) to protect (brOcuTaku) (me) and remove (dIrci) (my) hardships/problems (sankaTamu)?

madhyama kAla sAhityam
pAlincu kAmAkshi SrI kAncI sadana suradana rAkA SaSi vadana rAvE (SaMkari…)

Oh kAmAshi, who has the divine kAncIpuram (SrI kAncI) as her residence (sadana), who has beautiful teeth (suradana), and whose face (vadana) is like the full (rAkA) moon (SaSi)! Please come (rAvE) to protect (pAlincu) (me)!

caraNam
kanakAdri sadana dIna jana rakshakiyanucu
sanakAdi munulella bhajana sEyucuNDanganu
munu mUkuni brOcinadellanu cAla vini vacciti
vinumA ghanamA ninu namminavADanu rakshimpa

Oh (dEvI) who has the golden (kanaka) mountain (adri) [2] as her residence (sadana)! (I believe/know you) to be the protector (rakshakiyanucu) of helpless/downtrodden (dIna) people (jana). You are worshiped (bhajana sEyuncuDaganu) by sages (munulella) like sanaka and others (Adi). I have come (vacciti) (to you) after having heard (vini) a lot (cAla) about how you protected/blessed (brOcinadellanu) the mute (mUkuni) (poet) [3] in the past (munu). Oh mother (mA), please hear (vinu) (my pleas)! Is it that difficult (ghanamA) to protect (rakshimpa) (someone) who has always believed (namminavADanu) in you (ninu)?

madhyamakAla sAhityam
kOkila nibha mRduLa gadanA kOrina varamul(u)osag(i)ippuDu
parAku salupa rAdu bhAramA parama kRpanidhi (SaMkari…)

Oh dEvI, with a voice (gadana) that is soft/tender (mRduLa) like (nibha) the cuckoo’s (kOkila), please grant (osagu) the boons (varamulu) (I) desire (kOrina) at this time (ippuDu)! You should not be able to (rAdu) turn your face away/ignore (parAku salupa). Is it a burden (bhAramA), Oh repository (nidhi) of supreme (parama) compassion (kRpA)?

FOOTNOTES
[1] SaMkari – also means the consort of SaMkara (Siva), i.e., pArvati
[2] kanakAdri – the golden mountain is mEru (sumEru madhya vAsini, in dIkshitar’s words)
[3] mUka kavi was a deaf-mute who pretty much lived in the kAmAkshi temple, praying for the dEvi’s kaTAksham – he was blessed, and broke out into poetry – the mUkapancaSati – 500 verses in praise of kAmAkshI; he is supposed to have become the 20th pIThAdhipati of the kAnci kAmakOTi pITham

shreyas320

Post by shreyas320 »

If possible, I would also like to get the notation in english.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

rshankar jI,

perfect and faultless as all your translations .

Regards

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you.