Margazhi in fremont

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
thanjavooran

Margazhi in fremont

Post by thanjavooran »

Margazhi in fremont
01 01 2019 . Tuesday . 18 30 hrs

The new year 2019 was welcomed with a vocal recital of Hemige Srivatsan by the bay area Rasikas.
Following is the song list
1. Easha Manohari/Sri gananatham bhajare S
2. Khambhodhi/sara see . S
3. Sangeetha gyananamu/Dhanyasi . N S
4. Pantuvarali/ramanatham bhajeham (R, N at kumara guruguha and S )
5. Bahudhari/brova barama R
6. Chinthamani/devi brova samayamidhe
7. Charukeshi kripaya palaya . (R, N at naradha muka muni S s)/
8. Kalyani thirupaavai/Ambarame
9. Sahana RTP/dharavidha lalitha govalaya/aadhi retta kalai; varali, atana, sama, hindolam, hamsanandhi; Thani
10. Kapi/naale nalla naal
11. Slokam (begada, simhendramadhyamam, bhagashree) followed by Saagara Sayana
12. Manadhiku uganadhadhu murugan/sindhubharavi
13. Poorvi kalyani Thillana/Nee gama sari gari saa
14. Mangalam

My observation

An excellent concert I enjoyed ever. Learnt that this Isai Vizha is celebrated every year with local Artistes available during this season, the reason behind most of them are camping at Chennai. The organizer with his family received every Rasika with New year greetings at the entrance guiding them to dining hall for light refreshment.
Mirudhangam Shri Narayanan was present well in advance and then main Artiste arrived by 18 05 hrs. Though the concert was scheduled at 18 30 hrs, Hemmige with the permission started at 18 20 hrs . On the violin his son and disciple accompanied him with utmost care closely following the vocalist's imagination. The hall was filled with 80 Rasikas and youngsters out numbered senior citizens. There were kids too between 1 and 3 yrs but were silent with out budging, engaged with their playing kits and cell phones. Absolute silence was maintained through out.
Violin was good his expertise was well revealed in Charukesi and Bahudari. Reply to vocalist's Swaraprastharams was quite enjoyable.
Mirudhangam nadham was very pleasing and he showed his skill in Thani enjoyed by all.
After the first invocation song during which the sound system was corrected, a lady welcomed the gathering introducing the performers.
Shruti alignment was perfect and Hemmige justified his Guru's kripai and SK KVN's tinge could be noticed in all prayogams.
Missed meeting of forumite Ranganayaki may be I could not identify.
The 200 mts concert was quite enjoyable. There was a request for a dinner too at the end. More details and corrections are invited.

Thanjavooran
02 01 2019

arasi

Re: Margazhi in fremont

Post by arasi »

Thanjavooran,,
Good to know you are visiting CA and here I am in Bengaluru after camping in the CM mecca for a few days.
Hemmige Srivatsan is a class act. His life and that of his family is dedicated to music. He was the first among the youngsters in North America who went to India as a child to learn CM. First the violin, then vocal. You say his son accompanied him! When Srivatsan's parents lived on the east coast, I knew him as a tot. Then he came to perform on the violin there as a teenager, and how he played! His parents' love for music was transferred to the kids, and now to the grandchildren! It's ages since I have seen the family, but hear about them from relatives often.
Yes, Srivatsan's love and devotion to KVN is well-known. Yes, you can see his master's imprint in him. Did his daughter sing with him?

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Hello @arasi, I have seen Hemmige Srivatsan and his son in concert, but it was back in October 2018 and the occasion was kinda special too - a tribute in memoriam of Geetha Bennett. I wish to share a review of that concert. Is it appropriate to piggyback on this thread, or make a new one? My confusion arises from my observation that reviews being posted here are usually of concerts that have happened in the very recent past - I don't want to make a faux pas, you see! :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Bhasi: A general comment: There are no hard an fast rules, except to be civil, and to enrich the content.
Specific answer to your question: I'd suggest creating a new topic for your review of the concert(s) in memory of Smt. Geetha Bennett.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Thanks @rshankar, will create a new thread as you suggested.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Happy to know that you got an opportunity to enjoy a good concert overseas. Yes. Srivasthsan is a very consummate singer- disciple of KVN. As he is settled abroad we in Chennai get very less opportunities to hear his music. Two years back, I heard him in the Academy in the afternoon slot and he impressed me a lot. The next gen is also pursuing music- that is most welcome.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasi, CRama,
Pongal Greetings!
Yes you are right. He has fully justified as KVN's disciple. He has three sons and all of them are learning music under him. KVN must be proud to have one such disciple abroad. Amongst Rasikas his old parents were also present enjoying the concert.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
15 01 2019