Shades of blue: Krishna & Subhalakshmi

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sachi_R

Shades of blue: Krishna & Subhalakshmi

Post by Sachi_R »

Ask any artist who works with a brush:how many shades of blue are there?
You will get an astonishing answer for sure.

I found the same astonishment in watching this video.

(a couple of times some musicians have done it in lec-dems).

Watch this video. Do it when you aren't too sleepy or agitated about Sabarimala or Triple Talaq etc. It is a great experience. (click to play):

In this free-wheeling colour palette exploration, Krishna meanders from one raga to another by slowly letting go of each scale and moving on to another. He is greatly assisted, in fact guided by Subhalakshmi, who almost becomes his "Antahkarana".

Ragas explored are:
Kharaharapriya
Kapi
Poornashadjam
Reetigaula
Udayaravichandrika
Gaula

in a forward and reverse curve.

sais72

Re: Shades of blue: Krishna & Subhalakshmi

Post by sais72 »

Amazing! The short reverse run through of the ragas was beautiful and seemed effortless.

Krishna seems to telling (or something along those lines) Akkarai not to play Naatai before she starts Gaula. Did i hear it right? what is the musical significance of Naatai not fitting there?

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

The next song was an elaborate Jagadanandakaraka. That seems like the most likely reason to tell her not to play Nata. Also, the original name is Nata, not Nattai. Nattai is a Tamilian distortion of the word.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Good pick! She strayed into Nattai (they also did a long Nattai - you can see it in another adjacent upload) so he cautioned her to play only Udayaravuchandrika and not go into Nattai territory. If you listen carefully, she strays into higher Ga and after he signals to her, plays the lower Ga. (11:41-11:46)
Last edited by Sachi_R on 12 Jan 2019, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

ark07

Post by ark07 »

Since this in the Reviews section, I am going to list all the YouTube links for the videos to make it easier to access.

All the videos are from TM Krishna's concert which happened in Pune on August 5, 2018. Accompanists are Akkarai Subhalakshmi on violin, Praveen Sparsh on mridangam and BS Purushotham on kanjira.

1. Purvi - shrI guruguhasya dAsOham - Muddusvami Dikshitar
2. Ravi Chandrika - maakelara - Thyagaraja
3. Ragamalika alapana
4. Nattai - jagadaananda kaarakaa - Thyagaraja
5. Yamuna Kalyani - Sri Ramachandra Kripalu - Tulsidas

maadhu

Post by maadhu »

To be honest I was impressed with his Todi Rave Himagiri Kumari Shyama sastri swarajithi for Svaralankara. In my humble opinion this ragamalika didn't appeal much to me and Akkarai Subbulakshmi was more run of the mill.