RASIKAS.ORG has completed 14 years of yeoman service.

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
aaaaabbbbb

RASIKAS.ORG has completed 14 years of yeoman service.

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Long live the forum and all forumites.
Many many happy returns of the day to our dear forum.

thanjavooran

Re: RASIKAS.ORG has completed 14 years of yeoman service.

Post by thanjavooran »

Best wishes to all members and the organizers.
Wishing many more happy returns
Thanjavooran
10 02 2019

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Dear Founders and Administrators: Many Many Happy returns of the Day! Like many forumites I have been enlightened, enriched and entertained by the contributions of the forumites on a wide range of topics in CM that I had not bothered to pay attention to in my 7 decades associations tie CM!!! I am grateful for this platform.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Tough Teens
But great times ahead.
Best wishes,

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rasikas.org, A happy birthday to you! ...
We go back a long way pal, and you may wish me a good year too in return ;)
Thanks to srkris and others who serve rasikas community with their tireless work (which at times involves thankless travail).
It's our roosting, resting, and at times a wrestling place, but no fear, you are bound to thrive for countless years to come, making history in the annals of CM and much more.
The young, middle-aged and the old have made, and are making this treasure house richer each day. So long as the janitors are vigilant keeping trouble away, you are bound to be a phenomenon, my friend!
Love you, Rasikas.org, jug jug jiyO :) vAzhga, vaLarga:) as Thanjavooran would put it...
Last edited by arasi on 11 Feb 2019, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

To extend Arasi’s wishes:
rasikas.org: जय हो! दिन दिन बढ़े इसका बल, वैभव, और उत्कर्ष (jai ho! din din baDhe iskA bal, vaibhav, aur utkarsh) - “Salutations! May it’s strength, magnificence, and greatness increase everyday!”

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Srkris and Team,

Congratulations and Thank You!

I have been here on our forum for nearly 13 years now, and not a day goes without me checking in every few hours!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Congratulations for having completed 14 years to the forum - thanks to @srkris and all the veterans (including the ones no longer with us) and newbies alike for all the contributions they've made.

Should tell you that rasikas is far from done, and some of the best is yet to come. May the tribe increase!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

5 years of sangeetham.com and then now 14 years of rasikas.org with atleast 2 years of overlap in between, these should be the motto that I think we should have for the next 5 years.
  • # More people should actively contribute in actively writing than passively reading . writing is just not saying that was a great post , it has to have sufficient content. - This is sa

# We should take some ruthless action on harmless excessive posts which are muddled and tangential where because of those posts by few posters , majority people are willing not to write as they get lost in reading the spams.This is ri

# People should take bit more time to write with a proper heading in right posts in proper topic . Every one feels by putting in general topics at the top gives more eyeballs.This is ga

# Some folks who write with passion on music despite tending to show aggression which is also non musical should be allowed . Little bit of veto power can be exercised discreetly without revealing to the general public .This is ma

# No one should say I am out of the forum ,if their blood is boiling they can go into hibernation and come back after few weeks. This is pa

# writing time is going to WhatsApp and/or facebook. But in this world of fake news the only way to write coherently cohesively and expansively write is to write in the forum with a bulletin board structure not the facebook which is either one sided AND/OR restricts you to know only with few artists that you follow. This is da

# We should also retrieve the 40000 plus old posts of sangeetham.com and not allow to live with the message that it perennially went down. This is ni

# Try never to tie up with any organization and vidwans /vidushis for any monetary gains ever. This is sA
On a side note , we had a very old person Veeyens who has even seen Koteeswara Iyer when he was a kid . Veeyens must be the oldest active contributor for the forum is the my guess. May be if he is living he may have touched 100 now . I have not seen veeyens at all . I donot know who is the youngest active contributor in the forum may be that could be vijay.siddharth. I have seen vijay.siddharth.The age spectrum of Veeyens to vijay.siddharth possibly around 75 years , the generation from a person who just saw Vagayyekkara Koteewara IYer to the latest next gen vidwan/vidushi/vaggeyakkara that vijay.siddharth would see in the next 50 years is a range of 400 plus years sweep O gosh.

Srkris,
You have created an astounding free and fair legacy of carnatic music as much as your all time favorite vidwan . But you have just warmed up like young XYZ vidwan/vidhushi with the below krithi .Never let us down and take the posts permanently away, get into financials with others ever for us to lose the free and fair spirit that you have kept it up so far . Also time to also look at how to bring more young rasikas to write actively ,have a count on readership metrics, looking at irrelevant spammers time and again to prune them.

https://youtu.be/RNT7SEn4smQ?t=710
Last edited by rajeshnat on 11 Feb 2019, 19:37, edited 3 times in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
On this occasion, like a mangala vAdyam, the mahA vidvAn's voice carries good vibes. Most appropriate, most certainly :)Rukmini's inimai (sweet bowing) and TVG's beat add to the festivity...

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

Thanks everyone for their wishes! We are grateful to all those who keep writing here (some of you have gone into thousands of posts by now) and in retrospect it's quite astonishing where we've come.

We are pleased to inform that we've crossed 12000 registered members with our 12000th member getting added today, so that's another milestone. :) Hopefully the resources on this forum are helping them. We've crossed 30000 topics this year. A thanks to Lakshman who tirelessly keeps answering thousands of requests from rasikas for lyrics and notations. And a big thanks to all of you for sharing resources, reviewing concerts, writing about musicians and composers, translating songs or giving their meanings, and more. We hope some of our old veterans will resume their active participation like they used to.

With the digital age having exploded around us, now we're really in a position to share more music today (respecting the rules of course) than ever before. Today rasikas' pages are on the front page of many google search results, and the credit goes to all of you for your contributions and writings.

Some not so nice moments - this year we had to deal with quite a few controversies due to the happenings in the CM world. We also had to deal with a fair amount of uncivility and anger on the forum - we have closed and moved a record number of threads and the last time we had to do something like this was at the very beginning of the forum.

So after numerous complaints of rasikas.org having no moderation and drifting away from the music itself (which many members said turned them off from here), we've brought more hands on board, and have become more heavy handed in our dealings - it will be great if a few members understand that they are here to contribute to the music and that's the most valuable thing you will be remembered for.

I hope these steps will bring back some of our old members who have cut down on posting for these reasons.

We banned a lot of trolls and spammers this year. We have been very successful in eliminating spam. But our biggest headache was when a very very nasty cyber attack nearly took down the whole site, but we are back in new colors!

We hope more of our new members will be interested in saying Hi and writing about their experiences with music. We also encourage all of you to think of new ideas where you can contribute towards the cause of the music and the community.

So here are the summary statistics of our journey so far :
Summary • Total posts 336,940 • Total topics 30,328 • Total members 12,004

One day I hope we'll hit that 1 million mark in our lifetimes. :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
So well said, and no end of appreciation to you, srkris and all others who make this place a haven for music lovers and learners of all ages. A new year., and a bountiful musical harvest, folks...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

made some corrections to my last post underlining sa ri ga ma pa da ni sA

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Many Happy returns! Thanks to the moderators and all the contributors!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Greetings to the community and well done for all your contributions.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Congratulations and wishing many more years of such good service.

Mannarkoil Balaji

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

Congratulations on achieving the milestone. Thanks to the untiring efforts of admin and moderators. I have learnt a lot about music from the forum and thanks a lot.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Congratulations to this wonderful treasure house of carnatic music.
Eternally grateful to every one's contribution

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I just googled to find that koteeswara iyer was born in 1870 and died in 1936. Some time in late 1920's/early 1930's our veeyens sir who must be possibly the eldest contributor of internet forum (rasikas.org) has recollected shri koteewara iyer and one of his neighbours were discussing 72 melakartha krithis creation. This post must be the earliest true NON HEAR SAY post of CM.

Veeyens usually ends most of his post. He will usually say - May Sri Rama bless you all

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

long live rasikas forum.

can any seniors brief how rasikas came into existence

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
The best person to ask is Hema, his daughter! Wonder if she visits here often. Veeyens would have been nearing hundred had he lived now, is my guess. How lively he was until the end despite his getting home bound! His bonhomie was something we seniors still admire, and his swiftness in action. If you remember, when I finished the last installment of Oy BhArathiyArE!--he was the first one to make a pdf of it and send it to me! He was gone in no time after that. Bless his soul, and may his RAMA bless us all...

Ajaysimha,
The seniors just found their way here. It was started by one of the youngest--srkris, and he was joined by still very young VK So were/are the very active contributors, to this day--barring the ever-young Lakshman, of course...
Next to Veeyens, was the much younger CML who is not active on the forum now. A blend of the seniors and the young, and the very young it was, and it still seems to be that way. Most of the Lyrics-translation regulars were young then, and still are!
With so many threads to navigate, it still is difficult for many of us to realize how many bright minds willingly and with zeal contribute to Rasikas.org and add to its valuable existence...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rasikas existence bit explained by repositng another thread from 2010
------------------------------------------------------------
Check this post that I wrote in July 2010 . Thank GOD I wrote then , now i would have not recollected that much
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13730#p167494

Also read few posts above where CMLover talks in this topic . ALso read this thread where rshankar ,mohan maheshs,arasi, vk ,cool (mankuthimma then),and arunk wrote few posts in that thread

Apart from Srkris ,CmLover has played a very big big role. Few minor Personality quirks aside even I have many, cmlover taught all of us what it really means to really encourage others to actively post by putting BOTH HIS OPINIONS AND COUNTER OPINIONS GIVING FREEDOM.

RSR

Post by RSR »

ajaysimha wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 16:16 long live rasikas forum.

can any seniors brief how rasikas came into existence
=====================================
I am not a senior. yet I think, the following article published in TheHindu may be relevant.
http://www.carnaticworld.com/index.php/ ... aniam.html
===============================================
I am giving a few lines here.
( I came to know of rasikas a few years back , through this article)
(emphasis added by me)
A phenomenon called Rasikas.org - Ramesh Balasubramaniam

Although there have been many discussion forums from the days of the old usenetgroups to the now extinct websites like Sangeetham.com, rasikas.org has an ardent following and dedicated membership like no other place, real or virtual. For example, Dr. Ravishankar, a New Jersey physician and an expert on dance and musical lyrics, seldom begins his day without a visit to rasikas.org. A moderator of the forum from Chicago, who posts under the moniker "Vasanthakokilam", feels a sense of withdrawal when the site is even down for maintenance.

The brain behind the website is its founder,Mr. S. Ramakrishnan, an IT professional based out of the United Kingdom. He started rasikas.org in 2005, when there were no other structured sources for free expression and scholarly discussions on Carnatic music. Although the site began with only five members, there are currently over 7000 registered members from around the globe. Till today, he diligently maintains the website, updates the engines that make it spin and protects it from spammers and hackers.
Many readers of the forum are not registered members; interestingly several of them are eminent musicians. The writer of this article, who routinely posts a number of reviews of major concerts, receives candid, appreciative comments from many leading performers(and the occasional brickbat too). Reviews of concerts trickle in from all around the globe; from people like Mr. Rajesh and Suresh in Chennai to several others in Bangalore, Mumbai, Australia, NZ, with a large majority of the overseas ones coming from the US and Canada.

However, as with any large family-like gathering, there are frequent intellectual disagreements amongst members on issues of interpretation, opinion and taste. Ms. Rajee Krishnan, herself a composer, often adds colour to the forum's discussions by offering an original perspective which helps people achieve middle ground during a heated and passionate debate.

Another key contributor to the forum Mr. LakshmanRagde, based in Toronto, Canada shares lyrics from his repository of several thousand kritis. An erstwhile member Mr. Kulkarni has generously shared several hundred non-commercial recordings on the forum for academic and illustrative purposes. Veteran members like Dr. V.K. Viswanathan, a theoretical physicist at the Los Alamos labs in the US and Mr. M.K. Ramasubramaniam of New York often share scintillating stories from their five decades of experience of dealing with music. Mr. Nick Haynes, a prolific contributor, is now an instantly recognizable celebrity of sorts in all the sabhas of Chennai just from his posts on rasikas!

Mr. Uday Shankar, an intellectual powerhouse of the forum and inventor of a slide flute called the chitravenu, confesses that he has learned much about issues related to design and structure of instruments from the learned members of the forum, including professional musicians.

©2017 Carnaticworld.com Pvt Ltd & Carnatica Archival centre. All rights reserved.

D & D by Open Designs

Official Website of Carnatica Maintained by Carnaticworld

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Hope @cmlover is doing well. Prolific posters all of them.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Srinath,
I would think so. It's a few months since I have been in touch. Last year, Cienu had met him at Aishwarya's concert in Canada and was delighted to share a picture of his meeting him and his wife. Wonder where it is. Rajesh might locate a much earlier picture of his too at a Rasikas meet concert on one of his rare visits to India.

Cheer leader supreme, I called him. When a few frowned on such friendliness on the forum, I would say we belonged to MAS--mutual admiration society :).

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Rasikas.org has the added advantage of leading to many offline meetings. I think I have met most if not all of the people mentioned in the article, including, of course, the author.

Being a small world, I independently know the author's parents! And that connection was made through our fellow member Nargeswaran

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Yes, I have enjoyed and immensely benefited from Rasikas. Thanks to Ramakrishnan and many others for holding the torch

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

just went through all the replies to my question.
thank you all the people(rasikas) who watered this coconut tree (rasikas.org), which is benefiting with its sweet-water and shade today.
endaro mahanu bhavulu, andariki vandanamu !!!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Here's a short clip of a rasikas' meet from a few years ago (thanks to whoever saved the video) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAV2vV09lfc

All the mahAnubhAvulus of the forum in one place.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick H wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 15:19Rasikas.org has the added advantage of leading to many offline meetings. .
And through those meetings we have discovered common interests (of which music and rasikas are but one aspect), and have become friends, rather than mere online acquaintances or fellow-forumites.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, Ravi, Nick and others..

Home away from home it surely is--
A busy old-fashioned family at that
We come and go, all under the same roof
Sometimes meeting, at times away--but
Always knowing we belong together, no matter...
Some of us meet, keep in touch, mainly where
Music happens--we keep tabs on each other
We at times have tiffs, just as in a family,--but
We are friends, in the name of music :)

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

This thread brings back such lovely memories! Arasi: Thanks for your lovely poem, as always.

I have really enjoyed meeting so many wonderful souls through this forum, and for that I am eternally grateful. Almost to the point that my communication with them (off the forum) has become a major part of my life. We meet when space and time converge but when we do, we go right back to discussing everything from saveri to asaveri, Mylapore to Milpitas, Raga Sudha Hall to Swara raga sudha.

I have been dormant lately. Life often gets in the way. I have learned so much from the wisdom of the people here. I would like to post more... will hopefully find more time in the future.

Namaskarams to all!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

mahavishnu wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 09:30 I have really enjoyed meeting so many wonderful souls through this forum, and for that I am eternally grateful. Almost to the point that my communication with them (off the forum) has become a major part of my life. We meet when space and time converge but when we do, we go right back to discussing everything from saveri to asaveri, Mylapore to Milpitas, Raga Sudha Hall to Swara raga sudha.

I have been dormant lately. Life often gets in the way. I have learned so much from the wisdom of the people here. I would like to post more... will hopefully find more time in the future.
WIth perhaps you in mind I wrote this in post #9 in this thread
rajeshnatinPost#9inThisThread wrote: # writing time is going to WhatsApp and/or facebook. But in this world of fake news the only way to write coherently cohesively and expansively write is to write in the forum with a bulletin board structure not the facebook which is either one sided AND/OR restricts you to know only with few artists that you follow. This is da
Ramesh There you are in the most happening carnatic place in BayArea , the intersect of supestar 4 hour sabhas like SIFAS and Sankrithilaya ,also few more that are springing up that i donot know yet . In my working field , people generally say if they go from India to US particularly California/NewYork/Texas etal and work ,they learn and give their best in their work.

In a vijaysiva concert in Rathnagirieeswarar temple concert post the concert you came to me and asked me are you rajesh ,i said yes and then the saga went on till the Whatsapp AND/OR Facebook took away the rasikas.org writing time .

Mylapore is bit dying in musical content Milpitas is growing in musical content . Mahavishnu - Time to get back to writing lovely reviews from milipitas , you are a big BIG contributor in writing reviews. Get into #da