Question on CM past state and evolution

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
thenpaanan

Question on CM past state and evolution

Post by thenpaanan »

Dear Rasikas

I've a question that has been bothering me for a long time now. When I was growing up (this was in Mumbai in the 70s, may be different in Chennai or in a different time period) the common understanding was that the Carnatic music represented at a typical concert was not the full or even representative form of the art. It was a given that the kutcheri format imposed a lot of constraints in terms of presentation structure, time, proscenium (where you cannot be sitting close to your audience), etc. So the "real" Carnatic music was thought to be found in homes, informal settings, small groups, guru-shishya parampara, and so on. In fact, a friend of mine would emphatically claim that Carnatic music is not a performance art at all (as opposed to, say, Bharatanatyam). And the proof of this was the existence of an enormous number of deep, contemplative compositions that would never be sung in a concert but are nevertheless passed down teacher to student in centuries-long tradition.

But back in the 70s, concerts were far and few in number and one could argue that a concert, especially a major one, was something of a rare event in a professional musician's life, and thus there was plenty of time to nurture both the performative aspects as well as the art aspects of the tradition. Today there are so many concerts both in the real world and the virtual world that this might not be the case any more.

If professional musicians are performing at several times the frequency of their forebears, is the art music getting the same attention that it used to? Or are we in the inexorable transformation where the hard-to-perform-to-a-large-audience pieces will be confined to archival recordings (aka Youtube)? Today, we do see more rare pieces on the stage but they are presented as "items" meaning that the idea is show off the musician rather than the music.

I remember with not a little wistfulness, the long sessions with my guru and a small band of disciples where we would be immersed in some ragam or composition for hours (literally). It was a paradox that when no one was trying to impress anyone else with their own virtuosity, everyone was deeply touched by the music.

-Thenpaanan

sureshvv

Re: Question on CM past state and evolution

Post by sureshvv »

I suspect that this is still the case. Only a very small percentage of practitioners become successful stage performers.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

thenpaanan wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 05:55 Carnatic music is not a performance art at all (as opposed to, say, Bharatanatyam)
The Indian Dance ( even bharatiya would be a too [:cough;] controversial term as also the bharat) was also a chamber art wasn't it? Only that the chamber was little grand whether it was the secular or the non-secular variety! :D :lol:

What is bharatanAtyam?? Did you talk to Rukimini Devi Arundale this morning? :lol: :lol: :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

thenpaanan wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 05:55 But back in the 70s, concerts were far and few in number and one could argue that a concert, especially a major one, was something of a rare event in a professional musician's life, and thus there was plenty of time to nurture both the performative aspects as well as the art aspects of the tradition.
What was indeed the state of performances in 70(s). Only very few names that I can recall reading. TNS, TVS and Maharajapuram entering their primes. SSI , BMK and Somu still performing in their prime levels! KVN , Nedunuri already in. MDR and Ramnad unknown or not patronized very well.

No major effective successors for the female trio. Sungandha kALamegam, Lakshmi Rangarajan, Raji Goplakrishnan were called out as not having made an impact, in Carnatica review once in early 2000(s).

So what were the major developments in art in 70(s) that were in the works in chambers, that got added later in late 80s when concert opportunities went up?

RSR

Post by RSR »

Classical music ,in general, does not depend on lyrics at all. Western classical music may be a typical pure classical music. Next comes Hindusthani classical music.
Finally we have Carnatic classical music, where even seasoned experts mix up the musical compositions of the Trinity with the lyrics. . The music part of the composition , comes out more forcefully , when played in instruments like veeNa, flute and violin. best of all in Nagaswaram
The type of immersion in pure carnatic music , longingly sought after by the OP , was available in plenty , not in any concert halls or chamber music but in the music by devout and expert Nagaswaram players , playing for hours together ( the deity procession will start around 7pm and may last upto 3 am , sometimes). . Actually, it was an insult to such musicians asking them to play for marriage functions. ( so too , vocalists).
That was part of the normal life of hundreds of ancient temples in Tamilnadu for hundreds of years. and fortunately , the tradition is still being maintained in many temple towns in Cauvery delta. Certainly not in metroplitan areas .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The person who posts songs after songs from his era spake thus! You keep listening to the same songs again and again, may be because you haven't gotten their literary import?? :lol: :P :lol: .

https://youtu.be/nzJ89MvEE1w?t=2561 - artists must learn expression first then art. Many vidvans without expression it is just science.

Later he also points to the importance of Science in art, where it helps disseminate across generations.

https://youtu.be/nzJ89MvEE1w?t=2743 - more on expression, his Guru etc. but more importantly it is the TN rasikas that taught him expression - if at all - may be after his Guru's chambers! And then the accompanists, SrI Lalgudi always his accompanist, then Palghat Raghu , UmayaLpuram Sivaraman, Palghat Mani IyervAL taught him expression!

A philosophy of music book that I glanced over, pointed to unreliability of testimonies , since they may be subjective. But Nedunuri garu to his credit has gone long ways and is in his own territory. He has no reason or benefit to go recall these people there in the country of Andhra in 2013!

I hope people don't get distracted by the controversies of the accompanist there in that video! Just focus on the conversation rather.

At the end of the video in his message he expresses serious concern regarding people not singing SrI tyAgarajasvAmy kIrtanAlu in Madras, these days. May be his fear is too far fetched, but somewhat an advance caution!

Now this conversation I enjoyed very much :

https://youtu.be/nzJ89MvEE1w?t=3710 - part of music is dance, Dancers all should learn music ...

and here it comes: https://youtu.be/nzJ89MvEE1w?t=3743 : musicians should have knowledge of dance, dancers should have knowledge of music,

"And both should have knowledge of literature " :lol: :lol: :evil: - that is laughed off. Subject immediately changed to pulse.

I guess literature in an university means something else ;) . That ignominous discredited nobel prize on literature!

Sahitya is not literature in that sense!!

Again I say it. Language is music first!

RSR

Post by RSR »

@6-> If you are referring to my list of 100 songs (' we need more tamil songs'), the series had a definite purpose. To illustrate through tamizh songs ( 95% non-film) , the basics of at least 100 ragams. It is not the ragam alone, lyrical loveliness also was considered. and more so, the way in which the songs were rendered. That is why I had cautioned that there is no use in trying to sing them now. except for oneself! Mission accomplished..you would have observed that the posts stopped there. As for same songs being posted in different contexts, it is because , they are pure nectar. No need for anything after 'Ara amutham'. You are about to get a special thread on ragamalikas in tamizh by great singers of yore. ( golden decade)
------------------------------
As for Thyagaraja kritis going out of circulation soon, Papanasam Sivan is reported to have created a tamizh krithi EXACTLY patterned after a thyagaraja krithi. But why should anyone refuse to sing that rather than thyagaraja krithi? If we cared for music alone, we would go for a version in mother tongue to reach the common

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Well , it is interesting that , at the end he is concerned about SrI tyAgaraja kritis being sung in Chennai, and wants a chair for it in Univ. of Hyd. , that , after spending couple of hours on SrI Annamacharya and SrI Bhadrachala Ramdas.

You create a chair in an university to only study the dead artifacts. They are not capable of anything else.

There is a lot of promotion being done of the former there in Andhra. To begin ( and end the larger) conversation about tyAgaraja, they had to showcase composers of their region first.

His own guru, the Bhishma Pitamaha of Andhrapradesh was brought out of the Chambers from Andhra and honored in Music Academy - otherwise we may not have heard much of him. That was the year MDR was also considered and not awarded. pANi gAru who was inspired by the chamber music prevalent at that time in Chennai. But he needed a Sishya out of the chambers , who now says he learnt a lot of art outside.

Somebody quotes the Chamber inspired one, to prove that Mridangam is not music.

Nedunuri gAru claims his SangIta kalanidhi came from tuning nAnATi braTuku! MS Amma's life ends with AnnamacArya after they lost everything - all the money earned from singing tyAgarAja.

It was chamber music ( recorded in studios) and then heard in chambers - mostly!

Lots of conundrums, lots of ironies!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

pANi gAru in his own words , covered in a Sruti magazine article 2009/2010 thereabouts , perusing in it from the guest book stands of a music teacher! His first trip to Chennai as a musician(or student?):

" It was amazing to see the ease with which Chembai reached eDuppu of a 4-kaLai pallavi."

And he mentioned one more instance from the performance theater - don't recall!

"In the last day of my stay I was asked by SrI dvAram venkaTasvAmy naiDu gAru, to postpone my trip and stay for one more day to listen to a lady who plays vINA. "

He then listened to Smt. dhanammAL (Chamber music!) and rest is history.

But then does Chembai reach the eDuppu of a 4-kaLai pallavi with ease in a vaccum? He is musically complete onto himself?

A pramukha of Shanmugananda Sabha introduces Chembai , recalling all his good habits and such, and mentioning also his strong grip on laya, and his undeterred demeanor in the face of a no-holds-barred accompaniment from SrI Palghat Raghu. This is the back to back two day concert when SrI K.J Yesudas sings behind, and one of the days it was TVG on mridangam.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

thenpaanan wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 05:55 I remember with not a little wistfulness, the long sessions with my guru and a small band of disciples where we would be immersed in some ragam or composition for hours (literally). It was a paradox that when no one was trying to impress anyone else with their own virtuosity, everyone was deeply touched by the music.
I suppose your music was never limited by time (Pun intended), whilst Smt. dhanammALs music was atleast limited by external time - she will stop once the Port Cannon booms - and she never allowed anyone to do tALam ;) !

RSR

Post by RSR »

A few more merits of the l Nagaswara players' music ,during the traditional temple deity procession,, as pure CM , came to my mind. It is free. The listeners do not have to pay for being treated to the highest and best thing in CM. The nagaswaram and ( ofcourse, tavil vidwans accompanying them) were paid by devasthAnams and mostly were attached permanently to the particular temple. It was one of the cleanest and best methods of taking the choicest art to common people all over the state. I am having in mind lived experience of such performances decades back, ( 1945-1960). in small towns. In every street corner, of the 'ther veethi', the nagaswaram players will halt and play for an hour atleast.
Smt.MS reminiscences s that as a little girl in Madurai, (1926?) she had the experience of such concerts being played just opposite to her house , as a mark of respect to her mother VeeNa player Shanmugavadivu. at Madurai Avani veethi.
------------------
Is it ever possible for a vocalist performing in a 'sabha;, ? I wonder. though Mani Iyer and others of those days , gave their best in free temple concerts.
Smt.D.K.PattammaAL, sang continuously for seven hours in her earlier days at a temple concert in Tirunelveli district, somewhere near Kallidaikkurichi. It was a free concert for the people.
The payment - based , commercial , 'sabha' culture has ruined all that.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

RSR wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 12:32 It is free. The listeners do not have to pay for being treated to the highest and best thing in CM
This money as evil and spoiler is some conundrum of the udyOgam generation. Your next sentence contradicts what you just said. i.e:
RSR wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 12:32 The nagaswaram and ( ofcourse, tavil vidwans accompanying them) were paid by devasthAnams and mostly were attached permanently to the particular temple.
If you lived in that agrarian society, you had a choice of listening to it for hours. We should not mix form with substance. By the way I have experienced this somewhat, but not to the level of your times.
RSR wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 12:32 The payment - based , commercial , 'sabha' culture has ruined all that.
The sabhas did not ruin it , nor the payments, nor the tickets. It is lack of leadership , vision and abdication of understanding and interest - collectively! Sabhas have done what they do best. Provide a core nuclear environment where the best can express themselves. Other issues like nepotism and mediocrity are just normal mal-influences from rest of society. Nothing specific to them.

It is also people's false sense of empowerment, that democracy has promoted ( lets blame Indian democracy for a change shall we!) , that plays it's hands as well. People are impatient and expect things to be delivered to them, like all the utilitarian services government provides.

A first time rasika in a concert spelt out his impressions. He is my ex-boss. I called him after a recent concert ( Saketharaman). I already knew that it was his son that dragged him to the concert. The son is learning mridangam. The mridangam teacher, a friend of that day's artist (Patri) has always been telling his students to listen to concerts. At least I was happy, the Guru's words have some force still in this world.

Well, now this person tells me , he could not get to like the concert, because there was not one song that he already knew.
Well, one day - he doesn't consider - that his son's Mridangam , somebody has to listen to it and enjoy as well, beyond himself, without walking out in fact!

What? Is his son only going to play in the Chamber or what? ;)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Trends of music: rAgAmAlika svaras in pallavis:

https://youtu.be/Q7gSbFoxzew?t=778

Yes they can sing in their Chamber - if they are not willing to please!! But a heavy tODi, especially tODi, with a kaddanuvAriki deserves to be celebrated with additional rAgAs - as TNS did it! I think that may be the only rAgA that can take it without a jarring effect, because of its myriad hues! And TNS's music is drenching too much, some people cannot listen for more than an hour they say. For them, may be this will relieve some pressure!

Slokams:
https://youtu.be/Q7gSbFoxzew?t=805

Coat stand? That is the start of literarization with the western lens by "writers" ( periya ezhuttAlarkaL!) , Kalki here , with their rational dissection of their own heritage! That is colonial Indian literary scene! They have to justify their utility and presence don't they? They should restrict such critique to parliamentary democracy. Did Nehru/Rajagopalachari use their flair of English as a coat stand to push their political agendas? Would anybody say that?

This is the start from which we ended up with "Mridangam is NOT music". Mridangam became a prop on stage! Every vARNA, the meter, the dhIrga hrasva , even if it is not periodic, is music damn it!! If you yourself, keep promoting that "notes" are only music, better get the keyboard and get lost from my scene!! We need a DeMo drive for such writers!

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

RSR,
"As for Thyagaraja kritis going out of circulation soon, Papanasam Sivan is reported to have created a tamizh krithi EXACTLY patterned after a thyagaraja krithi. But why should anyone refuse to sing that rather than thyagaraja krithi? If we cared for music alone, we would go for a version in mother tongue to reach the common."

Kindly do not compare apples and oranges. In order to understand and appreciate tyAgaraja's composition, one has to become familiar with 'anurAga' - anurAga bhakti. For tyAgarAja, his audience was SrI rAma - he (tyAgarAja) did not compose with pencil and rubber. It was a cry from heart - the addressee only (and those who are in such receptive mood) know what that cry means. Music was simply a tool for communication.

God bless those who write poetry. All poetry are not alike.

RSR

Post by RSR »

vgovindan wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 10:29 RSR,
"As for Thyagaraja kritis going out of circulation soon, Papanasam Sivan is reported to have created a tamizh krithi EXACTLY patterned after a thyagaraja krithi. But why should anyone refuse to sing that rather than thyagaraja krithi? If we cared for music alone, we would go for a version in mother tongue to reach the common."

Kindly do not compare apples and oranges. In order to understand and appreciate tyAgaraja's composition, one has to become familiar with 'anurAga' - anurAga bhakti. For tyAgarAja, his audience was SrI rAma - he (tyAgarAja) did not compose with pencil and rubber. It was a cry from heart - the addressee only (and those who are in such receptive mood) know what that cry means. Music was simply a tool for communication.

God bless those who write poetry. All poetry are not alike.
As if, Papanasam Sivan composed music with a pen and pencil! He composed great songs on almost all the Gods and Goddesses of Hindu religious pantheon. He is what Purandhara Dasa was to Kannada sahithyams. I read only recently how a renowned musician asked Sivan to compose a song on a particular ragam and Sivan instantly and spontaneously sang one on the spot . The musician prostrated at Sivan/s feet.
If Thyagaraja lived by unchvrutthi on principle, so did Sivan, ' simple life incarnate. ' If one is a CM rasika, he would do better to concentrate on the musical composition , much more than the theme of Rama Bakthi and literary merits. ( I may be pardoned for questioning the literary merit).

RSR

Post by RSR »

@12, @13-> shankarank
So you hate tavil? why? Is there no classical music outside your concert halls? and chamber music?
In what way is this 'ticket and donation-based' admission, different from cinema theater business?
When I said, 'free', I meant that the listeners do not have to pay.
The nagaswaram artistes were maintained by devasthaanam . not in any great luxury but just a small house to live in and enough to feed the family and maintain themselves without begging any one.
They have to live.
No? especially such a strenuous and physically demanding playing during the deity procession. .
And did you miss the point that they were tied to a particular temple and were not globe-trotters. Have you not heard about the reaction of Sheik Chinna Moula Sahib, why he is tied up with Srirangam? Of Ustad Bismilla Khan attached to Kasi Viswanathar temple?
They lived for music and the deity and not for money. As the saying goes, 'the difference between people who eat to live and those who live to eat!"

The forum is a nice thing for 'invisibility'. You are already 'lost' to me , except through your posts. and links' So 'get lost' is not suitable for forums like this.

It is my policy that all external text and non-music tube-links should be avoided. When you give a link which runs for 40 minutes , rest assured that we just dont have time.
Even a bit lengthy post like this ( with due apologies ) is frowned upon. Giving links to music alone is unavoidable . Give a gist in your own words of whatever lecdem or profound talks that you are always mentioning. Bye.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Mostly, in Chennai, audiences do not have to pay to listen. All are welcome.

The effect of that on our value for the music would be another topic.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

@RSR Get Lost is an admonition to specifically those who promoted this idea of lyrics as a stand alone from music , not specifically and personally you - I had Kalki-ish writers in mind , not even Kalki. It was a figurative "you".

As regards the livelihood of nAdasvaram vidvans , I understand what you are saying. I asked the question to the official sitting outside the Tanjore Big temple as to why there are no nAdasvara kutcheris ( after I had posted about the same!) in that temple. His answer: "they all demand money for blowing" ( Uduvadartku kAsu kEtkirargal! is the term he used) . "Those days they were all AnmIgam personified" - he goes. "Where is the money in the government?" "Even Archakars distribute vibhUti based on your offering on the plate!"

And he is likely an HR&CE employee with full benefits! Government money means, it is not money making. If government gives you money, it is your rightful share from above? They are all servants to the public aren't they? Is this a leftist lie again? Or is it a false self adulation?

And we are talking about an UNESCO heritage site!!! And we are falling over each other to welcome UNESCO tag for Chennai - the center of arts, nah performing arts, now curated arts, or chamber arts?.

Our traditionalists did not do analysis of the left correctly and further use that to understand our own past. You cannot understand yourself , in worldly matters especially, without understanding the others who are currently dominant!

RSR

Post by RSR »

Am not much interested or knowledgeable in tALam and its intricacies. But, forum members like shankarank may find this great article by GAMAKAM very informative and inspiring.
some quotes.
"For a man who was born in 1920, Madras Kannan is supremely young. "Age has caught up with me. I have some difficulty in carrying out some the activities that were easier to do a few years back. But, thanks to the grace of my father and Guru, even today if I sit with Mridangam, my fingers can play what my mind says.""
------
"When I asked who were the major influences on his playing style, Kannan paused for while and said " I've played for a long time now. But till date I'm not able to reproduce the 'chaapu' played by my Guru.

Dakshinamurthi Pillai and Tavil maestro Needamangalam Meenakshisundaram Pillai have left nothing to be explored in the field of laya."
read more at the blog by Gamakam. .."Interview with Madras A Kannan"...
https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... interview/

RSR

Post by RSR »

Why should we not have a separate section for Instrumental musicians and mrudangam and tavil and nagaswaram, saxaphone, clarinet and such?

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

shankarank wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 19:00 ...

But then does Chembai reach the eDuppu of a 4-kaLai pallavi with ease in a vaccum? He is musically complete onto himself?

A pramukha of Shanmugananda Sabha introduces Chembai , recalling all his good habits and such, and mentioning also his strong grip on laya, and his undeterred demeanor in the face of a no-holds-barred accompaniment from SrI Palghat Raghu. This is the back to back two day concert when SrI K.J Yesudas sings behind, and one of the days it was TVG on mridangam.
It should not be forgotten that Chembai was a key musician who straddled the introduction of the "Ariyakudi" format. He first used to give concerts (both singing and violin) the old way which involved singing a couple of RTPs and a few kritis over the span of four hours. And then he rather abruptly changed to singing concerts full of kritis. I recall reading an interview where he was asked about this and he said something to the effect that the new way was the way the audiences wanted (he did not say it and my Malayalam is non-existent but it almost sounded like "good riddance"). I don't know whether his popularity was lower before the change but he was the unchallenged master of drawing audiences in the modern era until Madurai Mani. So it should be no surprise that Chembai could wrangle complex pallavis with ease. That was what he was trained for.

-T

RSR

Post by RSR »

There was a good and short write-up on Karukurichi Arunachalam. two days back in tamilthehindu .
It is however in tamizh.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The Musicians are also human beings and need to lead a good life in this modern World.Some how Sabhas are able to find sponsors to fund the events and pay the Musicians.
I do not know If RSR is against tickets and Funding how do Musicians get paid.Musicians are not super humans to keep performing freely.
RSR
Pl state exactly how the concerts have to be held without money in picture?

RSR

Post by RSR »

hnbhagavan wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 13:34 The Musicians are also human beings and need to lead a good life in this modern World.Some how Sabhas are able to find sponsors to fund the events and pay the Musicians.
I do not know If RSR is against tickets and Funding how do Musicians get paid.Musicians are not super humans to keep performing freely.
RSR
Pl state exactly how the concerts have to be held without money in picture?
Respected Sir, My response was to the yearning for free-wheeling and emotive music by the OP. i was just pointing out that instead of the perfomers bending to the taste of 'rasikas'. the artistes shaping the taste of listeners without any constraint of time, was and still is possible in Nagaswaram playing in temple deity processions. I too have pointed out that the musicians have to live. but the difference is in style of living and who pays. It is the devastaanam that pays and not the bakthas.
Kindly refer to an earlier thread on ramanavami music festival at Bangalore. I have spoken very appreciuatively about certain unique features. I believe that you are one among the organizers. Kudos to you.
I had indeed suggested some measures to raise funds and giving free concerts to the rasikas. ( tickett less but token-based). At the risk of repetition , kindly allow me to quote,
Bangalore is known as the 'Silicon Valley' of India. There are reported to be around 2 lakhs software professionals in Bangalore alone. And add to that no less numerous and talented Engineers, Technologists and Scientists working there and other professionals in legal , medical , financial and management/administration sectors.
With such a HUGE number of potential rasikas and contributors, it is possible to plan a budget comparable to state govt budget.! Bear in mind the voluntary contributions made year after year to Thiruppathy Balaji temple!.
Bangalore is really a very cosmopolitan city . A very good percentage of professionals are from North India. and offering CM and HM programs as they do is very nice thing.
If a suitable classical music awareness drive is conducted not just on the eve of the festival, but through out the year, 45 days may not be enough for the festival!
We can raise funds as voluntary contributions from the professionals ( not companies) and make the concert free for the rasikas.
Ofcourse, it needs a long term organized effort to reach out to the professionals. but as I said, funds raised thus can be huge and we can pay the participating performers adequately.
and all the better , if it can be combined for a noble social cause like free medical service at patients' residence, , higher education, classical music training, and catering to less privileged sections. Best Regards. ,

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

thenpaanan wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 07:06 Chembai was a key musician who straddled the introduction of the "Ariyakudi" format
thenpaanan wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 07:06 I don't know whether his popularity was lower before the change
When we talk of his popularity, before and after, we may be glossing over the changes in the nature of audience. Pallavi era ( where it was a pure pallavi concert - I mean for the most part) fits in more with a close knit community ( the modern pejorative for that is elite!) that cherished and nurtured a certain values. Many elements of pallavi singing did carry over to kriti rendition. I think it can be viewed as distinct.

Stage by stage Alapana could very well move across. Again the sAhitya bhava of the kriti not being disturbed and overwhelmed by music was put across. Again this is too much burden on a sacred system of transmission that we are imposing. We should leave after effects to time and its course, I think.

I hate to get into Audience tastes, treating them as raw consumers. Like the rating industry does for TRP. That bottom line of a musician depends on that is no excuse. At least we should stop over emphasizing that. Pretend that that is not the case and communicate the grandeur of the music slowly.

I also don't like this artistic freedom thing, with full empowerment for the artist - as if they are under seige from people! An artist gets more leverage as soon as they get established ( As Sanjay points out in his video I posed above!). I think that is healthy for the system.

We seem to think that Pallavi is composed and then improvised by the musician , while a kriti is a pre-composed item, and hence automatically less creative. This may be of the folly of pedagogy that was anxious and the pAThantaram dogma! And the latter most male musicians have given a short shrift to! Shall we now say good riddance?

And there are now new trends. Bhajans have made into concerts ( and that is bigger than just the tukkadas of golden era, in terms of impact , buzz)

But once many Bhajans included improvised singing:

https://youtu.be/XyKNK4kZ1wg?t=554

See how unhurried he is in jaya jAnaki ramaNa,

pApa sanga vidhara - you could say 3 things.

1. He split the padams to convey artha bhAvA clearly - the conventional wisdom that has been propagated
2. He split the padams, but the padams as exists, position themselves neatly , in fact it can be sung with 2 mAtra offset to start and leaving 2 mAtra offset at the end, hanging the line in the middle. A bit of silence speaks!

3. This line can as well be elaborated on the rAgA like the previous line , he does it somewhat , more so because it has those attributes that allowed (2).

4. One should stand on such lines without even a formal neraval like a batsman on a well turning pitch, without getting out.

I appealed to Smt. Aruna Sairam to do something likethat, instead of this : https://youtu.be/1Zd-IUfjeiU?t=119 in a place of musical Grandeur like the Mecca. She can sing and show case a following by letting violin follow once every Avarta - just for that one line. svaraksharam possibility is there also.

She drags the percussionists along to run with her and then signals to them : https://youtu.be/1Zd-IUfjeiU?t=198 to slow down!

But then she sings lots of big items where nuances like this naturally abound. If by chance the pATantharam has it it comes out, else no. That is where we have ended up with pATantharam dogma.

RSR

Post by RSR »

A very nice and pertinent blog-post by 'gamakam'-( 'lalitharam'-'parivadhini') about sabha culture and nagaswaram concerts. Who loses? It is in tamizh.
He is narrating his experience in getting a suitable venue for Nagaswaram concerts
Please read more at:

https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... mment-1003

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

RSR wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 10:56 about sabha culture and nagaswaram concerts
How does, what happens in a community hall in an Urban space, anything to do with sabha culture? Sabha culture has its own problems, but I don't think this issue of noise sensitivity in an urban space should be discussed in the context of lack of support to Nadasvaram.

First off if a new sabha cannot find space in a rich(relatively economically affording) Urban space , whose issue is that? You want to wait for UNESCO funds to construct a closed Auditorium? Now do you understand the importance of tickets and sabhas getting funding?

There are more fundamental problems. Don't discuss symptoms!
RSR wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 14:44 instead of the perfomers bending to the taste of 'rasikas'. the artistes shaping the taste of listeners without any constraint of time, was and still is possible in Nagaswaram playing in temple deity processions.
The people then, were not connoisseurs. In the tradition, it was called mangaLa vAdyam - now urbanites even attacked this concept and made it a pejorative!. In urban intellect speak, it actually should be expressed as "the nAdam is sacred!!"

The people will hear it no matter what. Nothing to do with their tastes! The vidvans followed a sampradaya and added their sAdaka.

Listen here - a simple papanasam sivan song - in a lite pentatonic tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdLyzQRq0gg

How much is being done? You don't need to know layam intricacies. As if we know rAgam intricacies. This rAgA identification contest and peer pressure - probably a symptom of deeper sabha problem.

RSR

Post by RSR »

To be a lay rasika , one need not know the INTRICACIES of either layam or ragam. Speaking of ragam only, ragam awareness comes by listening to tunes many many times. I think, that is the process of learning any thing.. Temple deity processions, ( I think, even Thyagaraja Swami was an admirer..as reflected in some of his lyrics)..Nagaswaram treats , train our ears to ragams .
How were CM concerts performed before 1930? Even in the decades 1930-1950? Mostly in temple concerts. Funds were collected from well-to-do people but the concert was free to devotees.
It is possible even now. Were there not countless concerts by Smt.MS on this pattern? If at all money was collected, it was immediately donated for the cause for which the concert was arranged. I am giving the link and highlights in my next post.
Being open-air concert, it can accommodate Nagaswaram easily.
How does Ramanavami music festival arranges for Nagaswaram concerts?

RSR

Post by RSR »

In continuation of my post at @28
------------------------------
https://www.thehindu.com/2004/12/13/sto ... 980400.htm
----------------------------------
some excerpts
-------------
UDUPI, DEC. 12. M.S. Subbulakshmi, renowned Carnatic vocalist , had visited Udupi and Manipal. She gave a concert in Udupi in 1969 and one in Manipal in 1977. The concerts, both free, were highly acclaimed and remain etched in the memory of music lovers in the district.
----
M.S. came for the inaugural function of the festival. She initially did not agree to perform in a temporary auditorium at Rajangana because there was a chance of her voice getting muffled. But she was informed that a large number of people would be coming to attend her concert and it was not possible to make any alternative arrangement. M.S. agreed and performed.
--------------------------------------------
The next concert M.S. gave was in an open-air theatre on Manipal Junior College Grounds during the 80th birthday celebrations of T.M.A. Pai, the architect of modern Manipal, at Manipal on April 30 in 1977. Mr. Shenoy said M.S. had some apprehensions. She sent her technicians to check the mike and music arrangements. They checked for about four hours and gave their nod. This concert was also a huge success
----------------------------
As the head of Sangeet Sabha, an organisation promoting music in these parts, Mr. Shenoy approached M.S. in 1984 for performing in a concert. M.S. agreed and again she did not charge any fees for herself. She only said that a cheque for Rs. 10,000 be sent to Gandhigram Seva Trust in Madurai. But her daughter Radha fell ill and was admitted to Wellington Hospital in Chennai. Hence the programme had to be cancelled.
M.S. returned the cheque.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Came across this interview of a famous Nagaswaram Vidwan.
Q- We get to hear less and less of this noble instrument. How do we get back to that golden period of the nagaswaram, which artists like you must have witnessed?

A"In Tiruvarur, the temple festival was held for 25 days. The nagaswaram was played on all the days, a raga for a day and through the night.

Mallari was performed with four nagaswarams and plenty of thavils.

In the present scenario, temple festivals have been drastically scaled down. In some places, the nagaswaram is played briefly only during the final ceremony (deepa aradhanai).
Well, I pray that the glory of the instrument is restored."
=================================================
READ MORE AT
https://www.thehindu.com/features/frida ... 240930.ece

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

@RSR #29 -> People who have gained stature can act with a highest ideal in mind and seek a higher ethic. That is their calling. Such an option or obligation should not be imposed on / expected off of everybody.

Even in recent times, plenty of musicians performed for a paltry sum in cities outside of the Carnatic mainstay. Many musicians local to such areas , like where I grew up, sang free in utsavams where I had listened to them. These include vidushis who graced my town because their family moved there due to job transfers of the bread earner. Some of them were AIR grade.

Even in Chennai , before I became an NRI or had a job, I have listened to many concerts free of many famous vidvans only in Ayodhya Mantapam.

Once I could afford, I did not fret about paying for such gala events as Malkauns festival @NGS, where I happened to listen to an MSG solo with his daughter along with UKS and that of Pt. Chaurasia, leave alone a normal traditional concert.

So stop singling out sabhas and musicians as money makers. First look around!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Thanks to AIR and other well intentioned philanthropists, the Nadaswaram concert supply far exceeds demand these days.

RSR

Post by RSR »

sureshvv wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 10:55 Thanks to AIR and other well intentioned philanthropists, the Nadaswaram concert supply far exceeds demand these days.
Good to hear this. and sad to note that the demand is not as good as it should be.
A traditional temple deity procession nagaswaram playing has its own charm. As per the link given ( interview ) the Thiruvaarroor festival took place for 27 days and it is mentioned that the artiste played a single ragam! for the entire procession ( might have lasted for at least six hours!). That is the type of music that the OP is craving for. No AIR program or other concerts can offer that kind of leisurely music.
Thiruvaroor is associated with the Trinity. Shift the center of CM to religious centers with focus on nagaswaram .

RSR

Post by RSR »

shankarank wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 00:57 @RSR #29 -> People who have gained stature can act with a highest ideal in mind and seek a higher ethic. That is their calling. Such an option or obligation should not be imposed on / expected off of everybody.
----------
(...)
I wonder if you have followed my points at all. Who ever said that musicians should not be paid? But paid by whom? Not by the rasikas but by the organizers of the event. Where will they get the money? From 'well-meaning' philanthropists and perhaps from some central govt department for promotion of carnatic classical music.
An artiste is not valued by the remuneration that he demands and gets. ( just like cine world!). Artistes should be ready to perform in any town and be happy with whatever they are offered,
They should make it a point to participate in as many religious festivals in hundreds of temple centers in tamilnadu.
Least bothered about the state of CM in western world.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

There can be philathropy, there can be govt. support. But this is not going to result in musicians producing better output. In fact until things started on the upswing economically in the 90(s), that was how music was supported mostly. The ticket sales in sabhas were not enough to sustain anything, If at all they were useful to filter in serious rasikas. There was an Ad. in a news print by music academy thanking the audience for support around 2002 or so.

Musicians doing things to please rasikas, are a very few of them. Others were able to benefit from the attention the music overall got.

If rasikas are earning, why should they not pay? You can set aside seats ( of house filling concerts!) for economically disadvantaged ( use the ration card or subsidies proof may be!) and have elderly discounts, student discounts. But most others should pay!

As regards Western world, musicians are coming , so what can we do but not listen to them? :D In spite of that NRIS still make a trip to the season every year also!

RSR

Post by RSR »

I am talking about CM only. Right from the days of Purandaradasa or even earlier, CM has been a vehicle for self-realization through Devotion to some deity. It is most natural then that classical CM is offered in temple festivals. especially through Nagaswaram. Sans any focus on krithi, it is pure music. There is no place for babus and snobs there. It is meant for very common people. They came primarily with devotion in their heart ,and not so much to listen to music. It was incidental. but in those days and even now, they would not dare to ask the vidwan to play cheap cine songs. in temple deity procession. Nagaswaram music satisfies the most important requirements of pure CM. (1) No pre-occupation with lyrics,,, that too mostly sung without understanding the meaning and resultant murder of the original lyrics. by padah-chetham (2) No place for 'glamour' stuff.
(3) funded by Devasthaanam and free for devotees. (4) honouring the best traditions of CM vidwans attached to temples. (5) no place for gimmicks.

I think, Chembai music festival in Kerala, is getting very good response. though there is deafening silence about it in this forum.
Bangalore Ramanavami festival is giving good opportunities for pure Instrumentalists, especially vilolinists., and Nagaswaram players. And I believe that it is funded by local professionals mostly, and not over-dependedent on NRI's
Yea! 1990 was a turning point. for the worse. 1930--1960, 1960-1990, 1990- 2020.
Three phases of deterioration.

RSR

Post by RSR »

About Chembai Sangeethothsavam :
Chembai Sangeetholsavam is an annual Carnatic music festival held in Guruvayur by the Guruvayur Devaswom (similar to the Thyagaraja Aradhana at Thiruvaiyaru) in memory of Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar, one of the titans of Carnatic classical music [1][2] and an ardent devotee of Lord Guruvayurappan...Chembai had conducted the festival in the temple town on his own for about 60 years He used to invite anyone interested in Carnatic music, from small children to renowned musicians of his time, to perform at the festival. In course of time, the scale of the festival rivaled the Thiruvaiyaru Thyagaraja Aradhana, which is recognized as one of the most important festivals of homage paid to Saint Thyagaraja. The Guruvayur Devaswom decided to take ownership of this festival after Chembai's death in 1974, renaming it as Chembai Sangeetholsavam in his memory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chembai_Sangeetholsavam
About 3000 musicians participate in this festival every year and it is held for about 12-15 days culminating on the Guruvayur Ekadasi day, when all the musicians sing five favorite songs of Chembai and also the Pancharatna Kritis of Thyagaraja.[5]

The festival is getting more popular year after year and its duration has increased from three days in its inception to about 12-15 days now.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

RSR wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 12:32 Nagaswaram music satisfies the most important requirements of pure CM. (1) No pre-occupation with lyrics,,, that too mostly sung without understanding the meaning and resultant murder of the original lyrics. by padah-chetham
For many years now Indian kids win spelling bee in the U.S! Are they orators? Do they understand the meaning? Do we need this modern extreme example to nail it?

From SrI Suktam : tAmihopahvayE Sriyam - tAm iha upahvayE - I can split that much without knowing the meaning still!

All words and even their splits etc. all can be learnt rote!!! First focus on the music of language! nAdasvara vidvAns played an aspect of the music of language only. Mallari is their own repertoire - but that is abstract - just once set of compositions! Their music also got enriched by the music of the languages!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://youtu.be/h5cWjCFTMe8?t=285 - This video was played in the https://hollywoodtheatre.org/airport/now-playing/ - portland airport.

The karaikudi bANI declared almost practically gone still has some lease of life with some practitioners/teachers.

He states a requirement of knowledge of one of the 4 of 5 languages behind CM. But for children born and raised far away what would that be? I'd say they need to know about the philosophy behind the languages themselves not the ability to speak in it. As much of it that can be expressed in English, assuming some words have to be expounded upon, not literally translated.

Additionally of course they should learn the languages by rote - all of the sounds and music of them!