SANJAY SUBRAMANIAM FOR BRAHMA GANA SABHA GOLDEN JUBILEE

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

SANJAY SUBRAMANIAM FOR BRAHMA GANA SABHA GOLDEN JUBILEE

Post by CRama »

Sanjay Subramaniam has a special bondage with Brahma Gana Sabha. Every year, he is giving a special concert on January 1 and this had remained the talk of the town for a few weeks after that. As a part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations, the concert of Sanjay Subramaniam was held in Music Academy on 13 April with his regular team- S. Varadarajan, Neyveli Venkatesh and Alathur Rajaganesh. It was a ticketed concert. Minimum fare Rs. 240+ GST for a back seat in the balcony. Thanks to Sruti, I attended this concert seated in the fourth row in the front. Though not house full, there was very good crowd for the concert. A ticketed concert, drawing so much crowd vouch for his popularity. The concert started at 6 PM and concluded t 9 PM. Song list.

• Vanajaksha- Varnam- Reetigowla
• Jaya jaya jaya Janaki kaantha- Nata- PD (S)
• Korinavaramosagumayya- Ramapriya- PSI- (N,S)
• Amba Kamakshi- Swarajati- Bhairavi- SS (R)
• Sivachidambarame- Nagaswarali- Muthu Thandavar (R)
• Ramanukku mannan mudi- Hindolam- AK
• RTP_ Marua behag- Tisra Ekam- 2 kalai
• Pallavi- Kuzhalinithu Yazhinithu enpar Tam Makkal
Mazhalai chol kelaathavar
RM- Vasantha, Varali, Kambodi, Sama, Kanada, Kapi.
• Tani
• Tillana- Marua behag
• Tirusilagiriyar darisanam- Chenjuruti.
• Mangalam

Korinavaramu was a good selection for Rama Navami. This concert is not a Rama Navami concert. But the day happened to be Rama Navami. Some people like me would expect lot of kritis on Rama, if not a thematic concert on Sree Rama. I should go to Bangalore now to listen to such concerts. Korinavaramu made me happy. Neraval at Sarivarilona and the cascade of swaras brought in the required verve at the beginning of the concert.

The next piece- Bhairavi swarajati was the pick of the day. The raga alapana had all the essential elements in right measure- voice felicity, sruti sudham, visranthi, manodharmam, gamakams, brighas all gave a memorable Bhairavi alapana and the swarajati was presented in an unhurried manner with many innovative sangatis. There was no neraval or swaram. Made my day. Sivachidambarame- First time I was hearing this song.

The RTP in Marua Behag. I am not a big fan of RTPs in Hindustani ragams. He announced the name of the ragam. Even otherwise I am familiar with this ragam. He did full justice to the ragam in the elaborate alapana, tanam and swaraprastarams. The pallavi from Tirukkural was nice selection and well done. The ragamalika swaras were excellent. The raga bhavams were oozing even in small passages.

I left after the tani avartanam.

The accompanists- the usual team of Sanjay. S. Varadarajan impressed a lot with the classic touches in Bhariavi alapana and the swara passages. Neyveli Venkatesh- with the right volume, brilliant strokes, spacing, anticipation provided great support to Sanjay. The tani with Alathur Rajaganesh was energetic. An excellent concert.

gardabha_gana

Re: SANJAY SUBRAMANIAM FOR BRAHMA GANA SABHA GOLDEN JUBILEE

Post by gardabha_gana »

+1 - Not a fan o RTP's in hindustani ragas either. I have seen Sanjay (and others) tryst with Ragesri, Bagesri (coopted into CM), now Maru Behag. Yikes... I prefer his Thodi, Suruti, Sankarabharanam, Manirangu, Sahana, Begada etc RTPs. The slides in HM don't suit our music. I have seen RaGa also go HM way these days.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

CRama,
Thanks for the excellent review. A very good selection of pieces. He has justified his passion towards Tamil songs by singing Thirukural as pallavi in RTP.
gardaba_gana
Not fully convinced with the statement of selecting HM ragas for the concert schedule.
For a change let us enjoy these too.
Loko Binna ruchihi
with wishes,
Thanjavooran
14 04 2019

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Absolutely sir - all I said I don't prefer HM ragas for RTPs. Am sure many fourmites may prefer HM ragas over say a Begada, Sahana or Thodi. I groan when a HM raga is taken for RTP. Some of them have been co-opted well, say a Behag. But others not much so. I heard one where Sanjay had the pallavi also in Hindi when I really groaned :)

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Ramanakku Mannan would have been so nice to hear. Arunachala Kavi Rayar's Rama Natakam songs are not sung as much as they should be (or I want to hear) :) What a set of songs!
Korinavaramu is another gem - Malladi Brothers and RV sing it off and on. Vedavalli Mami's rendition is a treat to hear.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Three rAma navami special songs for the count then :) and the concert attended by none other than our own Sri C.Rama!

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

A thillana and an RTP in a Hindustani raga in the same concert! Wow. I've never heard of that raga before - any idea who composed that thillana?

CRama

Post by CRama »

That thillana i have never heard before. Dont know the composer.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Marua Behag- TNS used to sing one Meera bhajan- Hariguna gavat nachoongi in this ragam. IN many RTPs, he has sung amazing swaras in Marua behag in the RM segment.

bhasi, you can check you tube for the above bhajan. There are many Hindustani pieces in Marua behag in the you tube

arasi

Post by arasi »

Gardhaba-gana,
You and I have heard, in the same concert(s) too, 'ArO ivarArO?' from him which has been quite popular among performers. The one I hadn't hear in ages was a surprise last year at Brahma Gana Sabha in his four hour New Year's Day concert. Sanjay Subrahmanyan sang annai jAnaki vandALE. Wish you had heard that. The remarkable sAvEri AlApana for the song, you can hear on the You Tube though...
The last time I heard the song was from the very man who tuned them? Ari?!!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sanjay sang Annai janaki at the T.nagar TTD center some years ago.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This is all so confusing:
I have heard many people sing ArO ivar ArO in bhairavi, but Sri TNS and Smt. Vedavalli and their respective students sing it in sAvEri, right?
annai jAnaki vandALE is in sAvEri, but Sri Vijay Siva sings it in SankarAbharaNam?

CRama

Post by CRama »

TNS sang yaro ivar yaro in bhairavi also. It is believed that ARI set that song in Bhairavi and it was Saveri before that. Same with many other songs in the Ramanatakam of Arunachalakavi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
I've heard Ari sing annai jAnaki in sAvEri for sure, but have not heard him sing ArO ivar ArO. So, have no clue.
Suresh,
Some ten years or so ago, Arunachalak kavi's anumAnE sAmikkinda aDaiyALam solluvIr in malayamArtutham used to be in Sanjay's repertoire until he took Bharathi up with chandiran oLiyil in that rAgA.
Now, vandAn vandAn bharathA in mOhanam used to be sung often by vocalists. De we hear it much now?

arasi

Post by arasi »

CRama,
'inidu' sounds inidu (sweet) when it is written down (and sung too, by those who don't know tamizh?) that way. 'inithu', that too repeated in a pallavi line would not sound the same, especially with the meaning the couplet is trying to convey...:)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Wonder why my above post 'needs' to be reported??!! When I went to edit my post to include something to that post and looked for the edit button, I see the exclamation mark there instead.
Anyway, what I meant to add was that the pAsurams sung near the end of the concert were about rAmA, starting with mannu pugazh kOsalai tan maNivayiRu vAiththavanEe by kulasEkara AzhvAr. Not three as I thought, but four items on RamA...

CRama

Post by CRama »

Arasi madam, Mannu pugazh kosalai was sung by Gayathri Girish- as I posted another review- a concert of exclusive Tamizh songs. I am waiting for your comments in that thread.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meanwhile, I hear that one more kriti of tyAgarAja on Rama was sung :nagumOmu besides mannupugazh...
Gayathri Girish is in the top of my 'have to hear' list all these years for more than one reason. I still rue the fact that I missed hearing her during the season because of my short stay in Chennai--still, could make it to the Srikantan memorial concert of hers in Bengaluru where she sang Jaya Charmaraja Wodeyar kritis exclusively.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Nagumo- I feel ashamed that I left this song in my list. Now I see my book. I have written Nagumo and that he sang elaborate swaras prefixing nee nagumo. Thanks Arasi madam for pointing out that.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, C.Rama for your post. Of course, Sanjay must have sung mannu pugazh after you had left the concert. No wonder, Gayathri chose these verses too, because they are rAma charitam in a nutshell and are beautifully worded. Though not meant to be a thematic concert, Sanjay's concert turned out to be one, for those who wanted to hear one!