Ranjini gayathri at Los Gatos CA

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
prabhathpr

Ranjini gayathri at Los Gatos CA

Post by prabhathpr »

Time : 3 hr 40 minute concert
Vidushis Smt. Ranjani & Smt. Gayathri - Vocal Duet
Vidushi Charumathi Raghuraman - Violin
Vidwan Sri. K. Sai Giridhar - Mridangam

1. Ada tala varnam- reethigowla
2. Agarmuthael ezhuthendralivo- jampa (S)
3. Rangapuravihara - Vrindavana saranga - Muthuswami dikshitar - rupakam
(On request) well rendered
4.bhajana sEyarAdA - dharmavati - mysore vasudevachar - roopakam (ANS)
Neraval at niravadhi sukhadAyakuni
5. sharaNam sharaNam raghurAmA - asAveri -arunachala kavi - mishra chappu
(Padam from rAma nAtakam)
6. paramathmuDu veluku - vagadeeswari - tyagaraja- adi 2 kalai (AST)
(Good thani)
7. YarE rangana yarE krishnana - hindolam - purandara dasa - deshadi
8. - Tri Raga RTP - Shree, Neelambari, Bindumalini (Pallavi: EkAkshari Sri BhuvanEshwari PAada Dwaya PrabhA JAale Tripurasundari MAam PAhi) - khanda jampa 2 kalai tishra nadai 1 talli (after one beat)

“EkAkshari Sri BhuwanEshwari PAadadwaya PrabhAjAale” formed the Purvanga with “EkAkshari Sri BhuwanEshwari” sung in Shree, “PAadadwaya PrabhAjAale” sung in NeelAmbari; and “Tripurasundari MAam PAhi” formed the Uttaranga and was sung in BindumAlini. The first phrase had “EkAkshari”(one), the second phrase had “PAadadwaya” (two) and the third phrase had “Tripurasundari”(three). The pallavi was set to Khanda jati Jhampa Tala Tishra Gati after one beat.
Later in swara reduced the tala cycle to 1 kalai

9. Petra thAi thanai maranthalum - ragamalika viruttam - composed by ramalinga swami

10 maname kannamu maravAthe - bhImplAs – Papanasam Sivan - adi

11. Tum bin mEri kon khabar le govardhAn giri dhAri - Meera bhajan in pilu - adi

12. VrindavanA kashi zavuni - Abhang in vrindavani by Sant eknath - deshadi

13. Mangalam

Overall a superb concert .

sathreya

Re: Ranjini gayathri at Los Gatos CA

Post by sathreya »

Thanks a lot for the detailed review, esp your detailing of the pallavi. Would appreciate if you could indulge my curiosity a bit and explain the akshara split of the pallavi. The talam has 48 maatrais as far as i can tell. But the split between the purvangam, padagarbham and uttarangam is not clear to me.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you! Can someone clarify the second composition?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

prabhathpr wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 07:36 Time : 3 hr 40 minute concert
I just saw elsewhere in web that this concert was organized by sankritilaya and sifas . Bay area's new age Facebook and age old Intel sabha. I am just wondering did they lose 20 mins as there were two introductions. Just kidding . Very nice to hear CM concerts are truly celebrated . I especially would love to hear the shree, neelambari and bindumalini , that must have been a great treat all three are haunting ragas. Best wishes to Raga sisters. Would love to hear bit more detailed subjective reviews from say mahavishnu, sripathy,gadolinium and few more please.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Prabhatpr,
Thanks for the list.
Picky as I am in spelling names :( kindly change if you still can, in the title line, Ranjini to Ranjani. It's an easier name of course, and is short and sweet-sounding. The tough one is that of murugan. After all these years of his being around, Sanjay gets his sir name written in every which way still! His grandfather luckily isn't around now to see his own name being written in oodles of variations. I've heard that it used to irk him :) Yes, our names are difficult to spell at times, but surely, those we see on the marquee shouldn't pose any problems, I hope...

hari2810

Post by hari2810 »

sathreya wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 12:26 Thanks a lot for the detailed review, esp your detailing of the pallavi. Would appreciate if you could indulge my curiosity a bit and explain the akshara split of the pallavi. The talam has 48 maatrais as far as i can tell. But the split between the purvangam, padagarbham and uttarangam is not clear to me.
start after 1 mathrai
29 mathrai poorvangam; 5 mathrai arudhi kaarvai; 14 mathrai utharangam

hari2810

Post by hari2810 »

rajeshnat wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 19:44 I just saw elsewhere in web that this concert was organized by sankritilaya and sifas . Bay area's new age Facebook and age old Intel sabha. I am just wondering did they lose 20 mins as there were two introductions. Just kidding .
Yes it was organized by SIFA and Sankritilaya. Over a 1000 turned up. It was the first concert for the year for Sankritilaya, which usually involves long lines to collect annual passes etc. But despite that things went really smoothly and event started almost on time. Kudos to both the orgs.
They eschewed long introductory Bio.

arasi

Post by arasi »

2: Was it agara mudalezhutellAmAgi? tirukkuraL?

prabhathpr

Post by prabhathpr »

arasi wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 04:04 2: Was it agara mudalezhutellAmAgi? tirukkuraL?
I think it is tirukkural. I did not remember the details properly for this 2nd krithi that they sang. Hopefully others who attended can fill in the details.

prabhathpr

Post by prabhathpr »

arasi wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 02:28 Prabhatpr,
Thanks for the list.
Picky as I am in spelling names :( kindly change if you still can, in the title line, Ranjini to Ranjani. It's an easier name of course, and is short and sweet-sounding. The tough one is that of murugan. After all these years of his being around, Sanjay gets his sir name written in every which way still! His grandfather luckily isn't around now to see his own name being written in oodles of variations. I've heard that it used to irk him :) Yes, our names are difficult to spell at times, but surely, those we see on the marquee shouldn't pose any problems, I hope...
Not able to change it arasi. Please excuse. Will take care next time :)