Vocal concert of Anayampatti Ganesan 15 April 2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sivaramakrishnan

Vocal concert of Anayampatti Ganesan 15 April 2019

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Madhuradhwani
Arkay Convention Hall, Luz, Chennai

15 Apr 2019 , 06.15 - 8.00 p.m.

Anayampatti S Ganesan - Vocal
M Chandrasekharan -Violin
Tanjore Kumar - Mridangam
Nerkunam Shankar - Kanjira
Anayampatti Venkitasubramanian-Tambura & vocal support

Both electronic sruti box and Tambura used
Pitch - A (0.5 kattai)

(Recording available in YouTube)

Anayampatti Ganesan – the celebrated Harmonium and Jalatarangam Vidwan- gave a scholarly vocal recital with veteran accompanists for Violin and Mridangam. Sri Ganesan, in his eighties has an impressive, sonorous voice which could be the ‘envy’ of many of his age! And it was a scholarly recital with a fine selection of kritis.

(My disappointment was that not a single young musician could be spotted in the modest audience. Though many are abroad on their summer schedule at least a few of those at home could make it to the venue, I felt.)

1 Hamsadhwani -Varnam
2 Huseni - Raama Ninnenamminanu -Tyagaraja
3 Khamas-Sujanajeevana- Tyagaraja
4 Pantuvarali - Balamurugan varuvar -Aadi- Anayampettai Aadisesha Iyer
5 Saama -Guruguhaya bhaktanugrahaaya- Dikshitar
6 Anandabhairavi – Kamalamba samrakshatu maam-Dikshitar
7 Mohanam- Evarura ninunvina- Tyagaraja (Main)
8 Khamas- Maathaada Baaradeno- Javali- Misra chaapu- Narahari Dasa
9 Chenchurutti -Tillana
10 Chakravakam - Tirupugazh - Apahaaranindaipattuzhalaathe
Mangalam

The Huseni kriti that came in after the varnam, was one which I have been waiting to hear in concert platforms. Simple swaraprastaras carrying authentic ragasancharas at the pallavi was superbly returned by Sri M Chandrasekharan. The persussionsts Tanjore Kumar and Nerkunam Shankar played with such restraint that it helped to project the nuances of the recital. Sujanajeevana - also with swaras at the Pallavi was serene.

Alapana of Pantuvarali was notable for a steady pace – demonstrative of the style of a bygone era. The kriti ‘Balamurugan varuvar’ with Nereval and swaras at ‘Sangitgnana guruvaam yazhmunikkey sandeham yavum solluvaan’ was also evocative of puranic episodes. Another composition of Anayampettai Aadisesha Iyer famed by Madurai Somu is Ennakavi paadinaalum.

The brief Alapana of Saama was excellent and beautifully retuned by the violinist. The ‘not so commonly heard’ Guruguhaya bhaktanugrahaaya’ was refreshing and Sri Ganesan rendered it with utmost reverence to the sahitya and varnamettu. Swaras in two speeds at pallavi was educative yet illustrative of the command one must have to frame swara passages at such eduppus.

The Anandabhairavi kriti was notable for neraval and swaras at the madhyamakala passage ‘Tripuresi guruguhajanani tripurabhanjanaranjani’.

The main kriti of the concert - Evarura ninuvina - was preceded by a succinct delineation of Mohanam. The swaraprastara for the Pallavi had a ragamalika traversing Kaanada, Behag and Revathi. Tanjore Kumar and Nerkunam sankar played a compact Tani for misrachapu with eduppu two aksharas off samam (for evarura ninuvina).

The ‘rarest of rare’ Jaavali ‘Maathaada Baaradeno’ in Khamas of Narahai Dasa with its multiple charanas came in as a pleasant surprise. Sri Ganesan wound up the javali by prefixing ‘Ondu’ for ‘maathaada’ which was an indication of vidwan’s subtle manodharma.

The Tillana in Chenchurutti and Tirupugazh were the concluding pieces. After the concert Sri M Chandrasekharan remarked that Sri Ganesan is one of the rare vidwans proficient in Vocal, Harmonium, Jalatarangam and Violin and it is a pleasure accompanying such stalwarts who present music of substance.

Sri Arkay Ramakrishnan deserves praise for his care in preserving tradition by presenting valuable programmes.

rajeshnat

Re: Vocal concert of Anayampatti Ganesan 15 April 2019

Post by rajeshnat »

SRK
IS anayampatti adisesha iyer and ganesan related. I did not know that this vidwan is also a vocalist who can give full length concert. THe saama dikshitar krithi is very rare and i forgot right now as to who else has rendered this number. Thank you for your review.

CRama

Post by CRama »

SRK, Thanks for attending the unique concert and sparing your valuable time to post an elaborate review. Once Dr. Vijayalakshmi Subramaniam had mentioned about this vidwan, (Was it in this forum?) I think his vocal concerts are very sporadic. Never came across any information about his concert before this. This concert, I had to miss. Waiting for the next opportunity. I heard part of the concert in you tube. Very good.

Mathada baradeno- Not rarest of the rare. KVN used to sing this frequently. I have heard from TNS also.

CRama

Post by CRama »

SRK, Thanks for attending the unique concert and sparing your valuable time to post an elaborate review. Once Dr. Vijayalakshmi Subramaniam had mentioned about this vidwan, (Was it in this forum?) I think his vocal concerts are very sporadic. Never came across any information about his concert before this. This concert, I had to miss. Waiting for the next opportunity. I heard part of the concert in you tube. Very good.

Mathada baradeno- Not rarest of the rare. KVN used to sing this frequently. I have heard from TNS also.

Rajesh, Guruguhaya bhakthanugrahaya- DKP and DKJ have sung this song in a few concerts.

prabhathpr

Post by prabhathpr »

CRama wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 11:49
CRama, SRK sir, There is a beautiful Sanjay rendition of Mathada baradeno on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak6BwwdYbAg

prabhathpr

Post by prabhathpr »

Also I am reminded of the confusion of whether mathada baradeno was composed by Narahari dasa or Bangalore Nagaratnamma. Is there any mudra in the composition that gives clues on this?

Sivaramakrishnan

prabhathpr,
You're right. I understand that this is a composition of Bangalore Nagaratnamma.
There seems to be the Mudra 'naraharidasa' in the charana.

Sivaramakrishnan

Could someone kindly upload the YouTube link of the concert here, please?

CRama

Post by CRama »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ypcLf-r4i0

Link to the above concert. Enjoy.

Sivaramakrishnan

Rajesh,
I could gather the following information from Anayampatti Venkitasubrahmanian, a violinist himself and son of Sri Ganesan (who provided vocal support besides playing the Tambura in the above concert):

Though Adisesha Iyer was not related by blood to Sri Ganesan, his talents as a composer were greatly patronised by Ganesan's father Anayampatti Subbaiyer who ensured that Adisesha Iyer hailing from a nearby village settled down in Anayampatti.
A staunch devotee of Lord Subrahmanya and a repository of Tirupugazh, he was deeply involved in the religious activities in Anayampatti- the Thaipoosam festival being the grandest among them.
Known as 'Tamilisaimani', Adisesha Iyer composed many songs (besides Ennakavi paadinalum) including 'Velan varuvaanadi' (popularised by DKP), Thanitthirundhu vazhum tavamaniye, Gnanapazhatthai pizhindhu etc immortalised by KB Sundarambal.
BV Raman and Lakshmanan have rendered many of his kritis.

Sivaramakrishnan

Thanks prabhathpr and CRama for the links.