SUMITRA NITIN FOR SWATI TIRUNAL DAY- 16/4/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

SUMITRA NITIN FOR SWATI TIRUNAL DAY- 16/4/19

Post by CRama »

The concert of Sumitra Nitin was held in the Narada Gana Sabha Mini Hall with the accompaniment of Shraddha Ravindran on the Violin and Deepika Sreenivasan on the Mridangam. Sumitra Nitin was a disciple of T. Rukmini before she left to Bangalore and settled there. Currently she is a disciple of Neela Ramgopal. She is the grand daughter of Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan and daughter of Sujatha Vijayaraghavan and belongs to our own Arasi’s family. She has given a disc of Arasis’ compositions. Coming from an illustrious family and training under great Gurus, no wonder her music is excellent. Shraddha Ravindran is Kanyakumari’s disciple. The Mridangam vidushi- I am hearing her for the first time and could not get info on her lineage etc.

• List of songs.
• Pahimam Brihannaayike- Huseni- Swarajati.
• Narasimha mamava Bhagavan- Arabhi (S)
• Maamava Karunaya- Shanmugapriya (R,N,S)
• Paripalayamam- Ritigowla
• Devi Jaga janani- Sankarabharanam (R,T,N,S)
• Tani avartanam
• Jamuna kinare- Pilu
• Bhujaga sayino- Yadukulakambodi.

Since Sumitra Nitin is based out of Bangalore, we the sangeeta rasikas have sporadic chances of hearing her concert. I don’t know whether she is featured there frequently. Our rasikas from Bangalore, K.V. Chellappa and H.N.Bhagavan may corroborate. This is the first time I am hearing her. She impressed me a lot with her traditional approach, sruti alignment, voice throw, well rounded gamakams, unhurried approach in the alapana and rendition of krits, proportion and over all presentation.

The opening number Pahimam Brihannayike was popularised by KVN and in fact, I have never heard from any other vidwan. Sumitra announced it as a Swarajati and there was some structural difference from the KVN version. For all the charanams, Sumitra sang the swaram also. Narasimha mamava was embellished with chittaswaram and kalpana swarams.

Raga alapana is her strong point. Her alapanas of two ragams Shanmugapriya and Sankarabharanam were very elaborate adopting a methodical approach in the development of ragams. Her alapanas had visranthi, poise, organic development, kampita and jaru prayogams, limited brighas and abundant manodharmam. There were no harsh phrase and a serenity engulfed the auditorium. Mamava karunaya was presented well with neraval at Kamita dana lola and appended with elaborate swara prastarams. Devi Jaga Janani, the Navarathri kriti was given the monumental treatment it deserves with the tanam to the accompaniment of Mridangam, bringing in nostalgic memories of Navarathri Mandapam. Neraval at Veena Pustaka and the following swaras were real treat. The bhajan Jamuna Kinare was popularised by Dr. Balamuralikrishna.

Shraddha Ravindran provided good support following the path of serenity created by the vocalist during the alapanas and swara prastarams. But one thing- her raga alapanas consume as much time as the vocalist. With gaining more experience, she may learn to condense it.

Mridangam accompaniment by upcoming Deepika Sreenivasan was unobtrusive.

A very good concert for two hours.

hnbhagavan

Re: SUMITRA NITIN FOR SWATI TIRUNAL DAY- 16/4/19

Post by hnbhagavan »

As far as I remember Sumitra Nitin is not featured regularly in Bangalore.Bangalore Sabhas generally stick to a standard set of people for festivals.Perhaps some times not very popular artists are featured in Monthly concerts.
I have not heard Sumitra Nitin in bangalore or might have missed out if she had been featured.
normally BTM cultural association features some rare artists.So also Srirama Lalita Kala Mandira and NadaSurabhi.
Ramanavami festival series is now going on at various venues.
R . Surya Prakash was featured by Rajarajeshwari Cultural association.R Surya Prakash has been shifted to morning slot by Music Academy.
The Rama Seva Mandali sticks to crowd pullers and popular names.
Amrita Murali
Sumitra Vasudev
Vignesh Eshwar
Vidya kalyanaraman
Akshay padmanabhan
Kunnakudi Balamuralikrishna
plus may be a few more who are featured in Chennai sabhas are not yet finding favor with our Sabhas including rama Seva mandali.
Only Ramakrishnan Murthy is featured regularly in Rama navami concerts.
Bharat Sunder was featured by Vani Kala Kendra this time.
Excuse me for this long post and also posting not directly relevant here.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks sureshvv for the link. Will listen to that concert.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CRama,
Once again, it's time for me to thank you--this time for being there at Sumitra Nitin's concert. It makes me happy to think that someone as erudite in music as you, not only attended her concert--a Swathi concert to boot--but also wrote a very positive review about it! She deserves to be recognized this way, with all the love and work she puts into her music, singing/teaching. It's a double delight of course, since she is also a student of super vidushi/friend Neela Ramgopal.
After your retirement, you have been attending numerous concerts, and you have forgotten this: Sumitra has made two CD-s of my songs. I was pleased and surprised to find you among Rasikas.org attendees at the CD release, when I first met you and your wife. Not only that. You wrote about the concert too. Nick, Pattamma, Cienu, Ganeshkant and others were there. Lakshman and Shantha and Sundara Rajan came to this particular CD release?
Neela Ramgopal, Ananthalaksmi Sadagopan and Jayalakshmi Santhanam, among others graced the occasion. Had Gayathri Girish been in town, she would have been there on that day as well. Neyveli, Ravikiran, Alleppy Venkatesan, T.Rukmini, Vijayalkshmi Subramanian...to name some, have been there for one release or other. Sorry folks, for the creme de la creme list--but they have all been very kind towards me, and my memory isn't that sharp these days.

Bhagwan,
You are right in that there haven't been that many concerts of Sumitra in Bengaluru and Chennai, which is a pity. She does sing though, in both places and also in other cities. Her school Natyasruti with students learning both music and dance keeps her extremely busy.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Arasi madam, I bow before your razor sharp memory. Now I remember the scene. I also remember that Jayalakshmi Santhanam Mami sang a composition of yours in Charukesi and you also joined in the singing. But of late, even when you come for the season, we did not get any chance of saying hello to each other.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Apart from the gurus that was mentioned by Arasi, sumitra has also learnt from few more gurus . Check the below url
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 554777.ece

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks Rajesh for the additional information.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I can't see it. Could you send it to me please?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 05:38 Rajesh,
I can't see it. Could you send it to me please?
Link is working Arasi, possibly since there is a top banner ad , you may have to scroll after clicking .