TMK singing for movies????!!!

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shreyas

TMK singing for movies????!!!

Post by shreyas »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thehin ... 8.ece/amp/

Personally not too happy. After being a long standing appreciator of his music, something doesn’t tick in this. I am not particularly happy if he sings film music but I just hope this doesn’t affect his Carnatic music in the long run. I have not heard much of Unnikrishnan and Nityasree after they began singing for movies. I don’t know why I feel this conflict but I just hope he either stops with this one or does not cut back on the quality of his concert music.

shreyas

Re: TMK singing for movies????!!!

Post by shreyas »

It sounds okay. Again, maybe he did sing very well but I just can't come to appreciate it. I don't know if it's an inherent bias against cinema music or what but I don't think his voice suits this genre at all. I just hope this isn't a trend that will make him slowly fade away from the Carnatic scheme of things.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I didn't listen yet (and might not: also biased against film music) but I am confident that TMK is more then enough strong minded to sing what and how he wants when in stage. Also, to choose any influences carefully and consciously. And, although I suppose I should hesitate to predict TMK, I should be astonished if any sort of "popularist" influence crept into his concert music.

Also, in terms of audience numbers, he does very well out of being his-style-different. If anything, any filmy influence might actually diminish the numbers.

So don't worry. I feel that TMK will certainly go on being the TMK that everybody loves... or hates!

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

Well, I hope... :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

WHen TMK sings say Bhairavi swarajathi there may be say 1000 concurrent live listeners and another 100,000 listeners outside of the auditorium. But with film music and with this theme which appears bit communist like and more importantly with TMK's blog TheHindu.com giving an immediate marketing campaign, these kind of songs can give 1 million concurrent live listeners and possibly 80 million outside the theatres. In any case as I said before for sure TMK will head within next 5 years with a successful ticket in RajyaSabha.

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Kejri supported, tmk sang, aap wiped out .
Last edited by ramamatya on 29 May 2019, 16:12, edited 2 times in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat wrote: 29 May 2019, 14:00... ... ... In any case as I said before for sure TMK will head within next 5 years with a successful ticket in RajyaSabha.
We are not supposed to talk politics, but I have wondered if he would one day found... The AITMK :lol: :lol:

arasi

Post by arasi »

No I don't like politics, and yes, politics needn't be discussed here at all at rasikas.org (lounge, may be, may be not), but Nicholas, that really is a master stroke:) I am sure if one of his students runs it by him, TMK himself might be amused...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The video has been removed.... :)

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Just checked; it appears now.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I am certainly not against anyone singing in popular music . Sanjay was offered a chance through vidyasagar and he refused I guess. It is a personal choice. Of late I am appreciating most genres of music except a few. Many a cinema songs "gave" an expression and hyper sensitive aural experience and subtleties of music that carnatic music failed to, except a few musicians, ... talking especially of the quality of voice production and expression of music through sound. The subtlety of notes and beauty of notes is something I am left desiring for more in our music.

But present day cinema music is rife with noise and I am not personally for TMK , and he does not have that x factor in his voice. He is a rounded musician without THAT voice. His voice just sounds like any run of the mill airtel super singer quarter finalists . He is overcompensating with his aaa aaa aalapana, but that seems to make no impression in spite of all the PR propoganda machine.

Listen to the two songs below ... and you need some special voice. if you have some magsaysay and If you are just another voice ( you sing very very good though and we are convinced of that part only ) and want to make a deluding case of it ... .. I doubt it works. You cannot do everything .... Carnatic singer ( well deserved and worked hard towards it ) , but the author , activist , social worker .. and cinema now. That is overreaching oneself.

And if you find it difficult to consume what I mean .. here TMK says it himself here very explicitly..

https://youtu.be/tJH3H-gkWsU?t=135

Listen to the few songs below ... and you need a different voice type , voice production, the way you glide and move between notes , the control of various melodic modulations ( the first soprano voice alapana of the janaki for example ) and those are the xfactor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOdhWd5ZF2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSzWmlOsuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHLNMdhp9OU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q5gYjNXG_I

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Barring a very few, singing for films has been a fond dream of many an artist. Nithyasree Mahadevan was catapulted to fame with 'Minsaara kanna' (Padayappa). And Palghat Sreeram who voiced the jathi in it. Sudha Raghunathan was noted by the masses after she sang for a movie and also her appearance in an ad. Bombay Jaishree's 'Vaseegara' became a mega hit - not to say of Unnikrishnan who perhaps set the trend with 'Ennavale' which duly received a 'mothirakkai kuttu' from Subbudu.
Sid Sreeram is a rage among youth now.

Mass media offers a big reach. Nothing strange about anyone singing for films. Is there any need going gaga about it?

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

Excellent news,. Now T.M.Krishtu can spare CM. Quit CM, become full time film musician. More money in it. Why Rajya Sabha seat alone. He can become Home Minister in Rahul Gandhi's cabinet and finish off the BJP. The hatred and rage inside him is best suited to give voice for Vijay, Ajit and other such musclemen of Tamil films.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 14:09 'mothirakkai kuttu' from Subbudu.
Yeah remember from vikaTan: SankarAbharaNattil Arambittu verEdO rAgattil ERi matRoRu rAgattil sottenRu vizhundu. Well Subbudu had been out of touch. Unni did great!

But we will do better this time:

Here in T Rajendar style

"poDi oNNutAn bAkki mattapaDI ellam semmanguDidAn sokki" voice needs a chance in pop. maDrAs paTTaNam poDi(mUkkupoDI or snuff!) feels left out from the gupsy music. :D

To get a bit nos(e)tal(er)gic here is the historic tidbit: https://madrasnallamadrasblog.wordpress ... odi-snuff/

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

kittappa wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 16:48 Excellent news,. Now T.M.Krishtu can spare CM. Quit CM, become full time film musician. More money in it. Why Rajya Sabha seat alone. He can become Home Minister in Rahul Gandhi's cabinet and finish off the BJP. The hatred and rage inside him is best suited to give voice for Vijay, Ajit and other such musclemen of Tamil films.
Good idea, just that tmk voice is like an old man's, not sure if musclemen, vijay, ajit will prefer this guy. He can probably sing for old men: kamal and rajni.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

yeah Kamal , Nassar , Prakash raj, Sathyaraj, and the ilks . I think SPB can still very well can pull off for the younger ones. .. if not SPB ... Unni can ...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

TMK singing in movie, which has a mass following is a good thing for music. Music is not exclusive to Carnatic music; moreover with handful cm rasikas in Chennai and other parts of the world, these CM singers have to branch out to continue their passion of music.

RSR

Post by RSR »

kittappa wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 16:48 Excellent news,. Now T.M.Krishtu can spare CM. Quit CM, become full time film musician. More money in it. Why Rajya Sabha seat alone. He can become Home Minister in Rahul Gandhi's cabinet and finish off the BJP. The hatred and rage inside him is best suited to give voice for Vijay, Ajit and other such musclemen of Tamil films.
The rage and hatred for this character in our minds, , he cannot even imagine.
The person belongs to a lunatic fringe and does not represent INC cultural values.
Kindly avoid dragging in Rahul Gandhi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EbIESRjc2I
very nice quote from Mirza Ghalib
at
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... urdu-by-ms

Pallavisree1976

Post by Pallavisree1976 »

I don’t understand what the big deal is. Many singers have sung film music. The great bharat ratna Lata Mangeshkarji has had rigorous training in hindustani shashtriya sangeet and has recorded over 400,000 songs in 22 different Indian languages including even one or two in Tamil. She has sung all types of songs everything from pure classical, to semi classical, to slow to fast, to happy to sad and they are all in cinemas. One should just listen to her malkauns/hindolam piece that she recorded at such a young age. It is a black and white YouTube clip. It is pure classical and it is in a movie. It is absolutely mind blowing. WOW. The title of the song is “ dheerana Ja” or maybe “peerana ja” the recording is a bit old so little clarity difficulty there but one should definitely listen to this recording of Lataji. It is absolutely mind blowing. Anyway, my point is if TMK wants to sing in cinemas then let him sing what he wants. Other Carnatic artists are doing it. Nithyashree sings both. And so does Bombay jayshree and so does unnikrishnan.

Pallavisree1976

Post by Pallavisree1976 »

I don’t understand what the big deal is. Many singers have sung film music. The great bharat ratna Lata Mangeshkarji has had rigorous training in hindustani shashtriya sangeet and has recorded over 400,000 songs in 22 different Indian languages, count them 22 different Indian languages including even one or two in Tamil. She has sung all types of songs everything from pure classical, to semi classical, to slow to fast, to happy to sad and they are all in cinemas. One should just listen to her malkauns/hindolam piece that she recorded at such a young age. It is a black and white YouTube clip. It is pure classical and it is in a movie. It is absolutely mind blowing. WOW. The title of the song is “ dheerana Ja” or maybe “peerana ja” the recording is a bit old so little clarity difficulty there but one should definitely listen to this recording of Lataji. It is absolutely mind blowing. She is definitely matha saraswathi incarnate. Anyway, my point is if TMK wants to sing in cinemas then let him sing what he wants. Other Carnatic artists are doing it. Nithyashree sings both. And so does Bombay jayshree and so does unnikrishnan.

msuresh55

Post by msuresh55 »

I don’t understand what the big deal is. Many singers have sung film music. The great bharat ratna Lata Mangeshkarji has had rigorous training in hindustani shashtriya sangeet and has recorded over 400,000 songs in 22 different Indian languages, count them 22 different Indian languages
This is not relevant to the topic but I do get annoyed with our (that is, Indian) tendency to dole out dubious statistics. Lata has sung 400,000 songs? Let us be generous and say she recorded 20 songs per day. Then, the time to record 400,000 songs must be 400,000/(365 x 20) years or approximately 55 years. So, Lata must have spent 55 years (at least) where she recorded 20 songs every day of the year. If you believe this, then, to quote P. G. Wodehouse, you must be in the market for snake oil.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@Pallavisree1976
@ 20, I agree with you.
Like you, I am a great devotee of Lata Mangeshkar in her early years. Her voice was pure nectar. Till she entered the Hindi Film playback singing, I used to hate all those female singers there. ( Somehow, HM tunes are sung very well by male singers like Talat, Manna Dey, Rafi and Mukesh).
Lata changed all that. Inspired by her voice, many great music directors like C.Ramachandra, Shankar-Jaikishen, Naushad, Madan Mohan and even Pt.RaviShankar gave us absolutely sparkling gems, which no one except Lata could have sung so well. exceeding their expectations.

But, all that was in 1947-1967 decades. In more ways than one, 1967 was end of an era... in everything. be it CM, and HM values

Even Smt.MS at her early years could not have given the ethereal glide in Amar Dheep song. http://youtube.com/watch?v=6oXRvEsVoIQ
or her Hamsadhwani duet with her sister Asha in Sharadha.
It was such gems that drew me to HM . and such great music directors who utilized the wonderful ragas of HM is semi-classical tunes so divinely rendered by lata. We are missing a lot of her pure classical records. ( non-film) . Singers like Smt.MS and Lata are once in a century phenomenon.
https://sites.google.com/site/decadesba ... hkar-songs
Look for songs in that page.
Rare gems.
---------------
your post has been repeated. you may consider deleting the repeated post.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

RSR,
She also has a 'reputation' of effectivly blocking any contender to her position, as is known in Bollywood music circles. Though I don't have first hand knowledge of her behavior in this regard, if it is true, it virtually makes her unworthy of such huge accolades - notwithstanding her excellent musical talent.

Let's be a little reserved.
Last edited by vgovindan on 24 Jun 2020, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

Some years back, there was a general consensus that we will not discuss personal lives of artists. Isn't this topic a violation of that? Who are we even to discuss as to how artists earn their livelihood? Let's be a little reticent on the subject.

RSR

Post by RSR »

24 and 25
=========
Sri.Govindan
With all due respect to you, (a) I am talking about Lata's music and voice whereas you are talking about film world gossip. I cannot care less. (B) don't you know , who is invariably making snide remarks about Smt.MS in public?
Let us drop the subject.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I don’t think the topic is a discussion of personal lives. It is a discussion of his public life, singing in movies. It may or may not be a worthy topic, but it’s not personal to him.

I don’t think we should air rumors that we don’t know are true. Of course there’s freedom of speech, and it’s up to each of us.

There were other singers at the height of Lata M’s fame. When you have an out-of-this-world Kind of voice, you could say that she held the industry in sway. Even an off the cuff remark about it made by anyone can easily become a rumor. The rise of a number of women singers at the same time as the stigma of being associated with movies disappeared, which also coincided with a burgeoning in the numbers of actresses Entering Bollywood seems to give the lie to the rumor.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Even in the Golden orthodox CM era, we had Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Musiri Subramanya Iyer, GN Balasubramanyam, MM DandapanNi desikar, KB Sundarambal not merly as playback singers but actors as well, of course in decent roles.
Smt.MS and Smt.NCV acted in films besides singing their own songs.
Smt.DK PattammaaL sang in quite a few films ( as backgound singer).NEVER romantic songs or duets.
Even very famous HM giants, like Bimsen Joshi and DV Paluskar and Ustad AmirKhan. have sung in films occasionally in fitting roles.
Chembai Vaidhyanatha Bagavathar acted as a Carnatic musician in one rare film.
Just for information.