T M Krishna, Akkarai Subhalakshmi, Ranjani Venkatesh, Atreya - Odakathur UNNATI

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sachi_R

T M Krishna, Akkarai Subhalakshmi, Ranjani Venkatesh, Atreya - Odakathur UNNATI

Post by Sachi_R »

Overflowing crowd, great atmos in Odakathur MATH for T. M. Krishna.

For me 4 highlights:
1. Todi Gajavadana
2. Mridangam accompaniment and Tani of Ms RANJANI Venkatesh who got a huge applause.
3. Krishna nee begane sung very soulfully, Krishna asked the percussion to keep quiet, there was a noticeable echo/reverb (added perhaps by the mic man?)
4. Tagore song Mama Chitte sung in Kafi as the finale. Very moving indeed.

I give below the Kafi song and its translation, enjoy!

Musical composition by Tagore:

Mamo chitte niti nritye ke je nache
Tata thoi thoi, tata thoi thoi, tata thoi thoi,
Tari sange ki mridange sada baje
Tata thoi thoi, tata thoi thoi, tata thoi thoi
Hasi kanna hira panna dole bhale
Kape chande bhalo mando tale tale
Nache janmo nache mrityu pache pache
Ki anando, ki anando, ki anando
Diba ratri nache mukti nache bandho
Se taronge chuti range pache pache

TRANSLATION:
I wonder, who is that dances in my mind
The eternal dance, rhythmically.
I wonder, how well my soul and body respond
To the meter of the 'MRIDANGA',
Swings smile and tears upon the temple jewel-like
Good and the evil pulsate with the rhythm
Keenly follow life and death, dancing along
O, what a delight, what a delight,
Confinement and liberation dance alongside day and night,
I follow the wave closely, enjoy running behind it

Background history of the song:
Parjaay: Bichitro (6)
Taal: Dadra
Raag: Kafi
Written on: 1910
Collection: Arupratan
Swarabitan: 42 (Arupratan)
Notation by: Surendranath Bandopadhyay

I will let more competent people post a full review.

arasi

Re: T M Krishna, Akkarai Subhalakshmi, Ranjani Venkatesh, Atreya - Odakathur UNNATI

Post by arasi »

Sachi,
Sounds like a special concert, and Tagore too, with all those lines!
New to me, the mridangam artiste. Her playing must have been terrific, getting all the applause. Of course, Aniruddh would have excelled too. I don't see the violin. Did Akkarai play the violin or sing with him? After all, it was Krishna's concert, and one can expect surprises of many kinds.

Sachi_R

Re: T M Krishna, Akkarai Subhalakshmi, Ranjani Venkatesh, Atreya - Odakathur UNNATI

Post by Sachi_R »

Akkarai played the violin, with rich tone and faithful manodharma. She got a few solo sections too. Especially the first song in Kanada Sukhi Evaro ended and he again took up Kanada tana and gave her the turn after moving to Mohana Kalyani via Hamir Kalyani. She moved from MK to Bilahari, Begada, Purvi Kalyani and back and forth. In Purvi Kalyani he then sang Ninnu Vina Mari..
Last edited by Sachi_R on 11 Aug 2019, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Here is a Bengali rendition of this Bengali song. Of course TMK slowed it down and sang it in his own way, but a similar tune:
https://youtu.be/uF-W3aJsgI8

arasi

Post by arasi »

That was good, Sachi avarE!

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

Any likelihood of a YouTube, especially of Sukhi Evvaro in Kanada? I've been waiting years to hear him sing it, but he never has :(

Of course, the entire concert would be awesome. What else did he sing?

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

Any likelihood of a YouTube, especially of Sukhi Evvaro in Kanada? I've been waiting years to hear him sing it, but he never has :(

Of course, the entire concert would be awesome. What else did he sing?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Song list AFAIR:
Kanada raga
Sukhi evaro
Swaras
Tana-
Kanada
Hamir Kalyani
Yamuna Kalyani
Bilahari
Purvi Kalyani-
Ninnu Vina mari

Hamsadhvani alapana
Tande Neenu Taayi Neenu - Basavanna Vachana

Bhairavi alapana - led by Akkarai
Song on manual scavenging - Perumal Murugan

Todi alapana
Gajavadana (TMK did some superb swara in the lower octave building on the chiite swara pegged on Ga)
Tani
Applause

Vote of Thanks

Krishna nee begane

Mamo Chitte

There were some 200 youngsters sitting all round. Many would have recorded I think.

25 Aug TMK is performing in Kolkata. I am sure FEA will record and share it.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

Nice to see that there were a lot of young people like myself. As I said, a recording would be brilliant for me, but of course that would have issues of its own. How long was the concert?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

6:15 - 9:00 PM
Kindly note that the first post appeared within 60 minutes of the end of the concert.. And getting transport at that time in Ulsoor is not easy 😃

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAs-MkThuHg

I think this is from yesterday's concert? If so, I have some hope :D

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Many thanks Shri Sachi Avl ,
with wishes,
Thanjavooran
12 09 2019

ark07

Post by ark07 »

shreyas wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 12:36 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAs-MkThuHg

I think this is from yesterday's concert? If so, I have some hope :D
Yup. That is definitely from Saturday's concert.

The last two compositions can be found here -> https://www.facebook.com/UtsavSGBS/vide ... 509980181/

He sang the bhairavi composition on manual scavenging in the Bengaluru poetry festival concert last month as well. You can watch here from 50th min -> https://www.facebook.com/BengaluruPoetr ... 870360981/

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Thanks, Ark07!

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

Thanks! The same person who posted the Hamsadhwani appears to have posted Kanada as well. He started with the anupallavi?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sachi avarE,
The mridangam player is someone new to me. Whose student is she? Sukanya Ramgopal's?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Ok guys more uploads from this concert on YT... Check it out. For me Todi was the stand-out item, yet to be uploaded.

Arasi,
She is a student of Vid N. G. Ravi.
See her story here

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

I assume the Thodi was at least an hour long? I just want to listen to it for a long time considering how good you say it was.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Don't remember how long... But he sang it well 🙂

ark07

Post by ark07 »

shreyas wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 21:08 I assume the Thodi was at least an hour long? I just want to listen to it for a long time considering how good you say it was.
I don't think it was an hour-long because he didn't sing an extensive alapana - just a 2 minute sketch. The swaras were amazing in Thodi, especially the first round of chittai swaras where he sang without the mridangam, ganjira.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

T M Krishna is very much above many SangeethaKalanidhis in his Knowledge,Music rendition and his concerts are way above an average Carnatic Music Concert.What a treat to the audience with great challenges to accompanists.Akkarai Subhalakshmi is the most able accompanist to TMK.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Yes, speaking specifically of this concert, TMK first could not muster his voice or manodharma. Same was the case with Akkarai's playing. Early on it was clear Ms. Venkatesh was playing well and making a big difference.

The ragamalika tanas and Purvi Kalyani raised the bar a bit (the song has a very unique Viloma Chapu gait). Hamsadhwani was very good but brief.

Bhairavi didn't stir me. Todi was when everybody had warmed up and gave the fare that did justice to their reputation.

I have already mentioned the other positives.

All this shows Krishna's calibre. How an artiste rises to the occasion and gives those memorable moments to the eager rasikas makes all the difference. This very thread is proof of that!

Anyway as and when Todi is also uploaded, I hope all of us enjoy it as much as I did that day 😀

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

aaaaaand.... it’s up!

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

Are any of you going for his concert tomorrow at Shankar Mutt? I would love to know what all sings. I can predict a few, judging by his kind of irritating habit of singing the same songs again and again.

Krishna Nee Begane Baro
O Rangasayi
Some secular songs
Some Perumal Murugan song

are bound to be there.

I mean, I am probably the closest you could get to being an unflinching follower of TMK but this is the one aspect of his music that is quite off-putting. Look at some of his older songlists (I think I put up a giant list somewhere viewtopic.php?t=32973): there's so much variety. Now it's just picking from a pool of like 40 songs out of which 20 are repeated everywhere.

Back to topic: Would love to see a review up here...

ark07

Post by ark07 »

shreyas wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 19:50 Are any of you going for his concert tomorrow at Shankar Mutt?
Tomorrow's concert is not at Shankar Mutt but at Rangashankara, a theatre in Bangalore. The concert starts from 9:30 PM and is part of a theatre and arts festival on Equality, if I am not wrong, so don't expect a full-fledged Carnatic concert. Also in the program schedule poster or his tweets there was no mention of any accompanists so he might be giving a short solo performance. I'll try to make it but it's quite a bit of travel from my part of the city so I can't promise you but if I do attend, I'll definitely send you the song list.

BTW he's performing next month also in Bangalore at Shankar mutt in Malleshwaram. I don't know if the dates are confirmed but I'll definitely attend that one as it is closer to where I live.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I was tipped off about Ranga Shankara. Sold out. It is called a kattaikoottu program.

ark07

Post by ark07 »

It's not ticketed, sir. Entry is free.

It is definitely not a koothu program. On their website it clearly says that it is 'Carnatic Music by T M Krishna' - http://www.rangashankara.org/festival2019/

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Stop Press
Yes there is TMK today at Ranga Shankara.
Free concert.
Time 9:30 PM

Called Mehfil.

Sorry for the confusion.