N.J.NANDINI- ARKAY’S GOD’S OWN MUSIC FESTIVAL- 1/9/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

N.J.NANDINI- ARKAY’S GOD’S OWN MUSIC FESTIVAL- 1/9/19

Post by CRama »

Accompanists
Mysore Srikanth- Violin
J.Vaidyanathan- Mridangam
Ravi Sunderrajan-Ghatam
List of songs.
• Neekelana- Devamanohari-Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar- (S)
• Paramapurusham- Lalitapanchamam- ST (N,S)
• Maamayoorameethileri vaa- Bilahari- Mazhavai Chidambara Bharathi (R)
• Sumasayaka- Karnataka Kapi- ST
• Meenalochana brova- Dhanyasi-SS (R,N,S)
• Atu karaadani- Manoranjani-T
• Needu charana pankaja- Kalyani- Pallavi Gopala Iyer (R,N,S)
• Tani
• Kanakamayamaayidum- Huseni-ST
• Tillana- Tilang- LGJ
• Bhujagasayino-Yadukulakambodi- ST

The music rasikas should be grateful to Arkay Ramakrishnan Sir for organising a festival hosting the musicians from Kerala who are other wise not seen in the Chennai concert circuit. N.J. Nandini is most promising musician from Trivandrum belonging to the younger generation. Having had earlier lessons from senior Gurus like Dr.Bhagyalakshmi, Prof Kumarakerala Varma, she later came under the tutelage of Prof. Parassala Ponnammal and her music took a different dimension after coming under the guidance of PP. The two concerts I heard last year are still fresh in my memories. Flanked by senior accompanists, she presented a wholesome recital in this series too. Her confidence, honeyed voice capable of negotiating the three octaves with consummate ease, sruti sudham, patanthara sudham which she had imbibed from the great Gurus, kalapramanam, astute manodharmam all make her concerts most relishing.

Starting the concert with the kriti in Devamanohari which was decked with imaginative kalpana swarams, the next song Paramapurusham Hridayabhavayeham which usually gets a filler status was given a scholarly treatment with her masterly neraval on the lines Muralinaadha vivridha chara para lalitha panchamam and large bouts of swaras at lalitha panchamam enhanced the stature of the concert. The alapana in Bilahari was neat and elegant and the following song Maamayura brought the memories of DKJ singing with the power packed sangatis and it must have been nostalgic for JV, who embellished the song with his deft strokes which had power, variety and intensity. Nandini added to the lustre by some innovative sangatis too.

Sumasayaka , the padavarnam of ST was a nice presentation adhering to the strict patantharam of KVN. The elaborate alapana of Dhanyasi and Meenalochana brova also was a homage to DKJ. The brigas were so polished and there was zero sag. The main kriti Needu charana- popularised by Semmangudi was presented with the intensity for the main kriti and the detailed raga alapana of Kalyani was a disciplined approach with sruti bhedam to Sudhadhanyasi. There is deep intensity in her approach and she presented with great polish aided by her magical voice quality. Neraval at O jagajjanani manonmani Omkara roopini Kalyani and the vyavahara laden swaras culminating in a complex korvai were much relished by the rasikas.

Kanakamayamayidum in Huseni- the Utasavaprabandham of Swati Tirunal was a wonderful presentation with all the charanams. The Lalgudi Tillana was much enjoyed by the discerning rasikas.

If anything was wanting in this concert, it was a song on Ganapati, on the previous day of Ganesh Chaturthi, when the area wore a festive look with idols of Ganesh laid out everywhere. That would have given a solemn start to the otherwise well crafted concert.

The accompanists enhanced the impact of the concert to a good extent. Mysore Srikanth with his long experience of accompanying a wide spectrum of artistes presented beautiful alapanas and swara returns. JV really embellished the concert to a great extent with his vibrant and intelligent playing which had anticipation and dexterity.

A bale bale concert for two and half hours.

thanjavooran

Re: N.J.NANDINI- ARKAY’S GOD’S OWN MUSIC FESTIVAL- 1/9/19

Post by thanjavooran »

CRama
Thanks for detailed review. No doubt she is an upcoming artste with bright
Future. First saw her appearance in Asianet few years back.
Thanjavooran
03 09 2019

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

CRama
Thank you for reviewing the concert with your usual flair!

I have no doubt Kerala is God's own country when it comes to music. The warm air, the breeze through the verdant countryside, the bells and chants from temples that wake one up every dawn, the elegance of Kerala men and women dressed traditionally, the understated elegance of decorations in temples, the sway of their trunks and the occasional trumpeting of elephants, the captivating traditional instruments of temples, the sonorous voices of men and women, the musicality of their language, and a general aesthetic sense that prevails despite modernisation... Endow every Kerala musician with a certain evolutionary advantage. Not only musicians from Kerala shine, even musicians from other regions come and do well there.

The Arkay festival is a timely way to celebrate all this.
Best wishes to the artistes.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Crama
Thank you few years back in the same arkay you and i and sureshvv did attend this brilliant vidushi. Sad i could not make it a day before i attended another concert and I could not make it. For the first time in my life about 12 or so years back there was a trivandrum concert where there was a recording of Parasala ponnammal singing Kanakamayamaayidum- Huseni-ST uploaded . What a song and closure that would have been that too with another rare thillang tillana of Maestro LGJ and bhujagasAyinO in yk kambodhi.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 17:56 N.J. Nandini is most promising musician from Trivandrum belonging to the younger generation. Having had earlier lessons from senior Gurus like Dr.Bhagyalakshmi, Prof Kumarakerala Varma, she later came under the tutelage of Prof. Parassala Ponnammal and her music took a different dimension after coming under the guidance of PP. The two concerts I heard last year are still fresh in my memories.

Crama.
I am sure you knew that NJ Nandini is grand daughter of Vechoor Harihara Subramania Iyer who was the disciple of the doyen semmangudi srinivasa Higher. This information is only for others

What does balE balE mean , you used to put very good , excellent , outstanding etc...?

CRama

Post by CRama »

rajeshnat wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 10:18
CRama wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 17:56 N.J. Nandini is most promising musician from Trivandrum belonging to the younger generation. Having had earlier lessons from senior Gurus like Dr.Bhagyalakshmi, Prof Kumarakerala Varma, she later came under the tutelage of Prof. Parassala Ponnammal and her music took a different dimension after coming under the guidance of PP. The two concerts I heard last year are still fresh in my memories.

Crama.
I am sure you knew that NJ Nandini is grand daughter of Vechoor Harihara Subramania Iyer who was the disciple of the doyen semmangudi srinivasa Higher. This information is only for others

What does balE balE mean , you used to put very good , excellent , outstanding etc...?
I have clearly communicated my impression of the concert song by song. So for a change - I shifted to bale bale.

CRama

Post by CRama »

rajeshnat wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 10:18

Crama.

Nandini is IIRC, Vechoor Sir's brother's grand daughter. She has not learned under Vechoor Sir.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 11:30 Nandini is IIRC, Vechoor Sir's brother's grand daughter. She has not learned under Vechoor Sir.
Crama
Do you know brothers name of Hariharasubramanian? Was he also a bit of a musician. Yes you are right that nandini is granddaughter of brother of Vechoor Hariharasubramania iyer. By any chance have you or srk heard him?

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

CRama wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 17:56
The music rasikas should be grateful to Arkay Ramakrishnan Sir for organising a festival hosting the musicians from Kerala who are other wise not seen in the Chennai concert circuit.

The series is organised under the aegis of PARAMPARA led by Sri Vedantha Ramanujam.

Arkay Convention Centre is the venue for the 'God's own music' series featuring musicians from Kerala which was inaugurated on 31 Aug by Sri T V Gopalakrishnan. The opening concert was by Prince Aswathi Tirunal Rama Varma.

Arkay Convention Centre is undoubtedly one of the best 'music happening places' in Chennai.

CRama

Post by CRama »

rajeshnat wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 12:05
CRama wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 11:30 Nandini is IIRC, Vechoor Sir's brother's grand daughter. She has not learned under Vechoor Sir.
Crama
Do you know brothers name of Hariharasubramanian? Was he also a bit of a musician. Yes you are right that nandini is granddaughter of brother of Vechoor Hariharasubramania iyer. By any chance have you or srk heard him?
Vechoor Sir's brother was not a musician. I don't recollect his name. Vechoor Sankar is another musician from the same family. He must be Nandini's Chithappa. (Guessing). He is also a good singer.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 12:25
CRama wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 17:56
The music rasikas should be grateful to Arkay Ramakrishnan Sir for organising a festival hosting the musicians from Kerala who are other wise not seen in the Chennai concert circuit.

The series is organised under the aegis of PARAMPARA led by Sri Vedantha Ramanujam.

Arkay Convention Centre is the venue for the 'God's own music' series featuring musicians from Kerala which was inaugurated on 31 Aug by Sri T V Gopalakrishnan. The opening concert was by Prince Aswathi Tirunal Rama Varma.

Arkay Convention Centre is undoubtedly one of the best 'music happening places' in Chennai.
Thanks Sivaramakrishnan for the correction. Vedanth Ramanujam Sir is a very unassuming person quietly doing a great service to the cause of music.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Vechoor is also Rama Varma's first guru, as he has described in many videos, selected specially for him by the Amma Maharani of erstwhile Travancore.