SANKARAN NAMBOODIRI FOR ANNA NAGAR MUSIC CIRCLE TRUST- 15/9/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

SANKARAN NAMBOODIRI FOR ANNA NAGAR MUSIC CIRCLE TRUST- 15/9/19

Post by CRama »

After his very successful concerts in Ragasudha Hall and Arkay, Sankaran Namboodiri presented a very impressive recital in the above venue to the accompaniment of S.P.Ananthapadmanabha on the violin, Melakaveri Balaji on the Mridangam and Madipakkam Murali on the Ghatam.

List of songs.
• Karunai seyvaay- Hamsadhwani- PS (S)
• Neepadame gati- Nalinakaanti-GNB (R,S)
• Nannu brovu neekinda thamasama- Abhogi- T (R,S)
• Amma Raavamma- Kalyani-T (R,S)
• Sree Guruguha tarayaasumaam- Devakriya- MD (S)
• Koluvamaragada- Todi-T (R,N,S)
• Tani avartanam
• Kaakkai chiraginile- Brindavanasaranga- Bharatiyar
• Muruganin maru peyar- Behag- Guru Surajananda
• Kaanthanodu chennu melle- Neelambari- ST
• Manadirkisaindadu- Sindubhairavi- Tanjavur Sankara Iyer
• Tillana- Maund- LGJ
• Mangalam.

The recent concerts of Sankaran Namboodiri in Raga sudha Hall and Arkay had aroused lot of interest in the minds of rasikas about his music. Many people were reminiscing about the concerts they have heard of him a few years back in Academy, KGS and other venues. After this concert, the rasikas went upto him, congratulated him and inquired about his next concert. The next concert is in Hamsadhwani on 21 Sep. Personally it is much gratifying for me as I had written an exhaustive article about him in Sruti magazine a few months back.

This is the first time I am attending a concert in Anna Nagar Music Circle- for that matter Anna Nagar area. I missed his concert n Arkay . Heard the webcast and got hooked to it. So I decided to venture to Anna Nagar. Without much difficulty I could locate the venue and got drenched in the evening showers also. The evening showers affected the cutchery crowd also. But people came as the concert was in progress. The crowd was much receptive and encouraging all the way till the end.

The concert had a bright start with the Ganapati song Karunai seyvay in Hamsadhwani. Adequate swara prastarams gave the necessary verve to the start. Alapana of Nalinakanthi is special to Sankaran Namboodiri, and this time he surprised everybody with the GNB kriti Nee padame gati- as everybody expected Manavyala. Most of the Kerala singers sing Manavyala as this is favourite of Kerala audience. Neepadame gati has a lovely chittaswaram as most of the GNB kritis do have, but SN added a few bouts of imaginative swarams to it. Next came a neat alapana of Abhogi devoid of any ambiguity with Sreeranjani and the Thyagaraja kriti was presented duly decorated with enough bouts of kalpana swarams. Kalyani was the prati madhyamam ragam chosen for expansion. After presenting the ragam in a spirited manner employing enough kampita gamakams and jaru prayogams without any meandering in mandra sthayi, Amma Ravamma was taken up. This song in Khanda chapu is a favourite of many musicians as they can play with the kalpana swarams in Khanda chapu. The torrential mel kala swara passages crafted to end in ni were delightful.

The MD kriti came as a filler, but again decorated with elaborated mel kala swarams. Raga Thodi was taken up for the main suite. The raga was developed in a methodical manner with enough sprinkling of gamakams, jarus, brighas and long akara passages and his voice was in his beck and call to present what his brain desired. The raga alapana of fifteen minutes invited loads of applause at various junctures. The Thyagaraja masterpiece Koluvamaragada was presented in the appropriate kalapramanam with all the sangatis in tact. I like this song specifically for the adukku sangatis popularised by Ariyakudi and Sankaran Namboodiri version was faithful to the Ariyakudi version. Elaborate neraval on the lines Tambura chekoni and the sumptuous swarams resting at Tambura and chekoni with many panchama shadja varja phrases were reflective of his flowing manodharmam and laya control. The discerning rasikas very much enjoyed his serious exposition of the time tested kritis.

The post tani kritis reflected the devotional element admirably. As per my request, he sang Kanthanodu chennu melle- the Malayalam padam of Swati Tirunal. The rendering was unhurried and doing full justice to the sahithya bhavam. Special mention should be made of his voice modulation to softness at melle.

For this concert, Nagai Sriram was booked as the Violinist. But he accepted two concerts at the same time. He chose to go with Ravikiran. So Anna Nagar organisers had to find out a substitute at the last minute and they arranged S.P. Ananthapadmanabha who did a good job. His tutelage under various Gurus like A. Kanyakumari, Delhi Sunderrajan, P.S. Narayanaswamy etc keeps him under good stead and his raga alapanas are crisp, swara returns are imaginative and closely follow the style of the vocal musician. The team of Melakaveri Balaji and Madipakam Murali embellished the concert with their anticipation and variety of strokes. The tani was long- 20 minutes.

An excellent concert for two and half hours.

rajeshnat

Re: SANKARAN NAMBOODIRI FOR ANNA NAGAR MUSIC CIRCLE TRUST- 15/9/19

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 12:32 This is the first time I am attending a concert in Anna Nagar Music Circle- for that matter Anna Nagar area.
Crama,
I have been to annanagar to attend may be 5 to 6 concerts in past years. THe Carnatic Music there is only because of Smt Padmavathi Anantagopalan. Without her passion annanagar folks would not have any CM . She also makes it a point that all her sishyas and extended family always attend annanagar concerts. Where was it held in annanagar , is it a hall in first floor close to anna nagar west or chinmaya school or ayyappan temple ? Where was this venue?

CRama

Post by CRama »

The hall is PSB Mini Hall. 18th main road. It is in first floor. even has got lift. Near the Depot. I dont know other places in Anna Nagar.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Great to hear that Sankaran Namboodiri is back in full force.A concert featuring many tamizh songs and classics in other languages.

Rajesh,
Years ago, I have attended a concert in Anna Nagar in the upstairs hall of a school. No lift.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 07:20 Years ago, I have attended a concert in Anna Nagar in the upstairs hall of a school. No lift.
IF it is a school then it is chinmaya vidhyalaya school, some times they hold it in main hall or the first floor hall. THe hall that CRama attended is close to Annanagar west depot is a marriage hall where they have rented an AC hall. Some times as a third venue ,the iconic Ayyappan temple in Annanagar is also used as AnnaNagar Music Circle Venu. Padmavathi mami is still fighting for a permenant venue in Annanagar but still no luck.