TM Krishna Solo @ Rangashankara, Equal festival, Bengaluru, 15.09.19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sais72

TM Krishna Solo @ Rangashankara, Equal festival, Bengaluru, 15.09.19

Post by sais72 »

Carnatic raga nirvana concert:

I average about 80 live concerts a year and am a big fan of T M Krishna's music. Though i follow his music and opinions on various matters closely, i was not prepared for this experience.

A microphone less solo vocal performance in front of full hall of about 400 people. Listening to melodious Carnatic vocal music in a pin drop silence environment is so soothing, i see a bright future for such microphone less performances in great auditoriums. Rangashankara was designed for Theatre performances and my goodness the experience of listening to music there was sublime. My respect for the architects, trustees and managers of Rangashankara has gone up.

Krishna said that he told himself to not talk much, thankfully he did talk introducing the varied compositions and stories behind them. He called out the prejudices we have, margins we draw etc through the selection he presented. He sang with gay abandon and the audience (he more than others) seemed to enjoy it every bit (he sang two compositions after concluding it).

Song list (not in order nor complete, i did not write it down. The raga names are also indicative)
* yaarukkagilum bhayama, tamil padam, begada, subbarama iyer,
* hemantha kaale, sanskrit composition on christ followed by arabic composition (salatullah salamullah if i remember right...), hamir kalyani, karaharapriya,
* nanagu anu krishna, purandara dasa, tune by jogappas, mohana
* kattai kootu song on krishna, shades of mayamalava gowla
* tande illai, perumal murugan composition followed by tande neenu taayi neenu vachana of basavanna, sahana, hamsadhwani
* elelo ilasa, fishermen poem by Veronica, varali
* aag bhai, gopala krishna gandhi song on buddhist fire ceremony
* phag ghungru naach, meera bai
* amor janma bhumi, tagore
* allah tero naam

As you can see the audience there soaked in the nectar of carnatic ragas like begada, karaharapriya, ananda bhairavi, mayamalava gowla, sahana,, varali etc., . The streams of alapanas, neravals were bountiful and gentle. His aesthetic sense in the choice of ragas, exploration of sangatis is remarkable.

I always envied Hindustani singers for their voice culture, range, shruti alignment and after listening to this performance feel that Krishna is a good match from the current carnatic generation.

rajeshnat

Re: TM Krishna Solo @ Rangashankara, Equal festival, Bengaluru, 15.09.19

Post by rajeshnat »

sais72
Is it just a single microphone that is kept in a distance or it is complete absence of microphone . DId he any pakkavadhyams or is it a chamber music of only vocal like how Delhi V Muthukumar conducts early morning as suprabatha sangeetham. I am assuming there was no neraval or swaras or just may be some thing suggestive here and there.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I was there. It was a unique musical experience.

I have heard Parvati Baul with Ustad Ziauddin Dagar-Rudra veena here as well as a Hindustani musical opera by Shubha Mudgal and team. The acoustics and a sense of intimacy that pervades Ranga Shankara is fantastic. If anything, the geometry may daunt even the bravest musician who normally hides a bit from the audience- a stage much higher than the front row, an array of mic's etc. Nothing here. Art pure and naked.

Krishna simply blew away the audience with his impresario performance. He showed what a consummate communicator he is musically. The songs flowed seamlessly and his voice resonated with the deep hearts of the woodwork what to say of the tremulous, sensitive, eager, audience.

For me the beginning was iffy - he started with the padam of a woman claiming to have slept with the local chief Lingadurai and asking, "So What" and how everyone should have the freedom to sleep with whomsoever they want - and he called it an LGBTI anthem. Loud applause. Hmmmm.

He is polishing the Hemantakale shloka well. Heard it a few times now. And this time it came out well. The Allah song got a big applause. Ragas I think were Kalyani, KHP and Ananda Bhairavi.

Ellelo Ailasa in Varali was a lark. Everyone loved it.

If one noticed carefully, a strong case was made for our deep musical tradition. The biggest musical highs came in Basavanna, Purandaradasa, Meera... Songs sung for ages by the great and themes etched in our hearts.

Krishna is Varali-kumara. He can sing a Varali like nobody else. The movie Margazhi Raga showcases it.

It was a unique Carnatic experience given by the best voice and creative communicator in an unbeatable ambience. A late evening indeed well spent.

Thanks Sais72.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sachi_r
I am assuming there was no neraval or swaras or just may be some thing suggestive here and there. Could you throw some pointer.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Yes, Rajesh. Basically songs. He sang a few swaras for one item, I forget which. He avoided alapana and niraval.
But he sang with deep conviction and emotion.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi_R,
Was there any pakkavadhyams and upapakkavadhyams . IS this hall a place where all rasikas are seated in a circular round fashion where TMK sits in the center.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Only one small speaker playing electronic tambura. One stringed tambura played by a student nothing else.

At places Krishna wanted rhythmic sounds and he snapped his fingers nicely.

This is an interesting architecture of a classic roman amphitheatre.
There is a large stage with a high ceiling with seating in a gallery climbing up from stage level to several levels above.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi
1. Is the above picture the actual picture of the ragashankara hall or an equivalent theatre hall.?
2.By any chance can some one post a picture with tmk in center while concert in progress, atleast wanted a visual trailer?
3.Is this a ticketed or free concert?

You make me crave- O Gosh Lalbagh or Brindavan express is the vimana that I have to get in next time if I ever know about this atleast a day before. My experience of hearing without microphone is twice in chennai but there were accompaniments. I am yet to hear CM without accompaniment maybe I will break the ice by going to prabhatha sangeetham in december this year.

Without the clutches of microphone , the compromise is no R or N or S which makes CM boring . But hey the other side is you hear deep human voice and its natural texture and since the accompaniment is not there to dictate the speed , you sing at your own pace taking adequate voice rest , pause . Kudos to vidwan TM Krishna.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sais72 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 01:16 Carnatic raga nirvana concert:

I average about 80 live concerts a year
Nice to see a nirvana concert atlast. :)
You average 80 live concerts a year, that is great . Few years back for many many years i was in that zone . I liked your writing please write atleast 40 live concerts like what you did like this. Thank you sais72

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajesh,
Hold your horses!
Answers:
1. This is a photo of the actual theatre taken by the architect himself using a wide angle lens. TMK was seated on a 10x10 platform centred at that circular spotlight.
2. Ranga Shankara does not give the space for music concerts. It is a theatre space run by theatre folks. It is of course a premium space and booked 365+days a year.
Last edited by Sachi_R on 18 Sep 2019, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

ark07

Post by ark07 »

rajeshnat wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 12:18
2.By any chance can some one post a picture with tmk in center while concert in progress, atleast wanted a visual trailer?
Here are pictures posted by Rangashankara on FB. They also have recorded the video but I am not sure they will publish it. They requested the audience not to record using mobile phones so don't expect any Youtube uploads.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thank you sachi and ark07,
I googled to find the website rangashankara.org . Only today i was educated about this theatre concert. I saw in the website that This TMK concert was a free nirvana concert that started at 09:30 PM. I also saw better photos in the website which gave panoramic view .

I liked the hall it is a great design that too with an assured eye contact,with 09:30 PM start and without any accompaniments doze will not happen.

I nor any of the other forumites need not get any mobile audio uploads and i was not ever seeking that. A question arised in my mind "Why only TMK is only getting this chance with no other representation of other CM fraternity in this exclusive theatre group ?". As the question raised in my mind immediately the answer popped in my mind too . The answer was "Atleast TMK is able to get into theatre oriented group with a cm concert which is great".

Kudos to TMK Would be nice if TMK sings a neelambari in detailed fashion with the same 3 parameters(No accompaniments, 09:30 pm start and assured eye contact)!!!
Last edited by rajeshnat on 18 Sep 2019, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

"Atleast TMK is able to get into theatre oriented group with a cm concert".
Yes. But even he had to contextualise it as about all things that should be "Equal".

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi,
Any pointers on Ranga Shankara. Who is the owner or the patron of Ranga Shankara . I am assuming the venue is their own. Was this recently started .I see schedules all days are booked for kannada dramas and few english dramas. Tell us bit more Ranga Shankara. I personally feel exclusive curation with focussed group is way to go . I am assuming RangaShankara is a delight to bangaloreans especially for the theatre loving rasikas.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Shankar Nag was a celebrated actor and director, brother of Anant Nag.
You may remember their Malgudi Days TV serial.
He was brilliant and effervescent. He died in a tragic car accident. He is a big idol in Karnataka.
His wife is Arundhati Rao Nag. Also an actor of much repute ( she acts as Ramanujan's mother in the recent English movie, The man who knew infinity).
She, with the help of others, has created this space. She owns the place in a way.
It is a buzzing place for youth and theatre folk. It prides on a decent cafe and has a nice art bookshop.
It also holds art exhibitions.
They have impeccable stage, light, and entrance management.
It is bang in the middle of Jayanagar/JP Nagar.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
You would love this space. Sachi has already brought the ambience and history of the place to you vividly. It's not on a main road (thank goodness) but ensconced in a nice neighborhood. As Sachi says, a lot of young people frequent it. Many two wheelers are parked around It.
The feel of being there is very special. I have seen a Sanskrit play and an English one there. Two very different kinds of plays, set in different time frames. Yet, the theater lent itself to both ideally. There is a vibe of creativity there, and it's not surprising, knowing the history of its existence from Sachi.
No wonder TMK was inspired too, to give a laudable performance there.
The photographs are beautiful, by the way, ark07.

ark07

Post by ark07 »

Just to add to what Sri. Sachi has said, a trust was created by Arundathi Nag after Shankar Nag died to fulfill his dream to create a theatre space and the Karnataka Govt gave free land on a lease of 30 years I believe. The theatre itself was constructed in the early 2000s with donations from various Bangalore corporate bigwigs like the Nilekanis, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw and others.

Another good thing about Rangashankara is they charge very less when compared to other big privately-owned concert venues in the city as far as I know. So, even a small theatre group can afford to perform on the state-of-the-art stage.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Thanks @ark07 and @Sachi_R for the pictures. I can imagine the hallowed atmosphere that must have reigned in that hall with just the shruthi and TMK's sonorous voice sans amplification filling it. The lighting looks to be befitting dramatic performances too. Quite a stunning venue.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

Trust some of you will be posting updates on today’s concert at Shankar Mutt?

ark07

Post by ark07 »

shreyas wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 20:07 Trust some of you will be posting updates on today’s concert at Shankar Mutt?
Rasikas better than me may possibly write a detailed review but here's what he sang

1. sAvEri - raama baNa (sketch alapana, N & S at tammuDu baDalina)
2. Dwijavanti - chEtah Sri (A, N at Navathulasee Vanamaalam) Very nice detailed dwijavanti alapana
3. Dhenuka - theliyalEru raama (Thanam, S at pallavi) - He sang in madhayamakala with fast swaras
4. kaambhOji - thiruvaDi saraNam (A, N at aDuttu vanda ennai)
thani avarthanam
5. Behag - ene shukabhashini (audience request)
6. Yamunakalyani - karuna rasa poorna

Audience wanted him to sing more while the rain was pouring down outside but he politely turned them down as he had to catch a train.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Missed it

ark07

Post by ark07 »

The first song from this concert has been uploaded to TM Krishna's Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gbc12HTdxo