SSRAO'S LAST AIR NATIONAL PROGRAM

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
munirao2001

SSRAO'S LAST AIR NATIONAL PROGRAM

Post by munirao2001 »

Sri KVC Sir, Shared a link to my Guru and Father's last AIR-National Program with accompaniments of Vid.VVSubramaniam and Vid. Palghat Raghu. I am sharing this link with you all:

Raju Asokan has uploaded this concert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aFzfqutkk

MuniRao

HarishankarK

Re: SSRAO'S LAST AIR NATIONAL PROGRAM

Post by HarishankarK »

Nice one
I often lisyen to his video recital Karunimpa Sahana varnam in youtube
Great stalwart

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Always wondered how come he has the word 'Sandhyavandanam' in his name??
Just curious

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Harishankark Sir,
It's historical.
'Sandhyavandanam' is title bestowed on our ancestor by Dewan Poornayya (Poorna Pragna)of Tippu Sultan, on the order of Tippu Sultan. Our ancestors had the title of 'Khajana', in recognition of good work in treasury of Mysuru Samsthana and Srirangapatna Samsthana of Hyder Ali and Tippu Sultan. They were 'Desastha Madhva' sect, hailed from Purandara Gad, near Pune and on the request of Dewan, migrated to Mysuru and Sri Rangapatna.
My ancestor was also Asthana Vidwan-astrologer and was being consulted for fixing up muhurtam for all important works, expedition planned by the Kings. Tippu Sultan sent messenger to bring him at 'Pratah kala' and he sent message to King that he is doing pratah sandhyavandana and will come at a different time fixed by the king. King sent the messenger at 'Madhyana Kala' and he sent message to King that he was performing 'Madhyanna Sandhyavandanam' and sent the message to King that he should fix up a new time. King sent messenger at 'Sayam Kala' and he sent the message that he was performing 'Sayam Sandhyavandan' and sent the message to the King that he should fix up the time. King got enraged for the refusal three times, requested Dewan Poornayaa himself should go, check the truth and ordered deserving punishment to be given if it was 'Raja Dhikkara'. Poornayya explained the strict adherence to thrikala sandhyavandanam of the Khajana family and should be genuine and truthful, but not 'Raja Dhikkara'. Tippu ordered for personal investigation and report. Dewan personally visited and found the truth of observation and reported back to the King. He also informed that my ancestor meeting him to take the order in his presence at the darbar. My ancestor sensed the cause for King's anger and explained the significance of 'Sandhyavandana' observance for Brahmins, their tradition of trikala sandhyavandanam and what are the periods of 'nishiddha' for sandhyavandanam. Tippu Sultan not only lost the anger but was immensely impressed, appreciated the scholarly exposition and the tradition. He ordered Dewan Poornayya to honor the Pandita with the title 'Sandhyavandanam' and sanmanam. My ancestors migrated to Penukonda to serve the Nayak Kings and my great grandfather, the first to get 'English education', served in the Officer in the Forest Department. Dwikala Sandhyavandanam became the tradition but the title stuck to the family. My father also adhered to the tradition of 'Dwikala Sandhyavandanam'. Now the majority members of the family are only observing 'Eka Kala Sandhyavandanam' and minority members of the family are not observing the sandhyavandanm.
I remember that this historical story, in brief,was published as a part of profile of my Guru and Father SSRao (DH or IE or TH).

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Waah waah
Kyaa baath hai

(Hi)story mein dumm hai

I am so glad I asked this question and thanks for your patience to narrate the whole story.
My respect for Sri SS Rao gone up multifold times

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Excellent rendering! Thank you Munirao!