Vidushi Sowmya with Embar Kannan & Poongulam Subramanian - mayUrA Dallas - Sep 27 2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Vidushi Sowmya with Embar Kannan & Poongulam Subramanian - mayUrA Dallas - Sep 27 2019

Post by shankarank »

Smt. Sowmya , Embar Kannan, Poogulam Subramaniam

viribONi – bhairavi vaRNam – aTa tALam
raghu nAyakA – Hamsadvani – Adi - SrI tyAgarAja
dhanyAsi Alapana
bAlakrishnan pAda malar – rUpakam – SrI Papansam Sivan svaram @ nIlamukil with nI shown as svaraksharam
Kuvalaya daLa nayanA brOvavE – nATTakkurinji – SrI tyAgarAja
hEmavati rAgam
Ika tALa lEnurA inavamSa tilakA nE – khaNDa cApu – Dr. SrI S. rAmanAthan
ADiya pAdattai – surTTi – Adi
sAvERi – rAgam tAnam – Pallavi - triSra tripuTA
|| (1/2) ten pazhani vElanE | (5) daivAnai maNA|| LanE

Viruttam – punnAgavaraLi
kunitta puruvamum kovvaiccevvAyum panitta caDaiyum pavazham pOl veNNIRum..
next 2 lines in cencuruTTI.. leading into

cidambaram pOgAmal iruppEnO - Adi

tillAna – tAm tAm tAm udanatOm tadanam – Adi – kamAs

Smt Sowmya gave a great recital and her voice was in an expressive form to deliver her music this day. After the first two starters, dhanyAsi Alapana was beautifully rendered. She did svarams @ nIlamukil very effectively. Kuvalaya daLa nayana was a sublime interlude. The concert reached its height with a superb hEmavati, rendered as through she was rendering karaharapriya ( in intensity I meant) , showcasing the uniqueness of it all through. Ika tALA lEnura popularized by her colleague @ Dr SR academy - Sri Unnikrishnan was taken up. I remember kriti from a commercial cassette which I heard many times. A very fine kriti to hear. I missed svara prastAra here, for what being a khANDa cApu, with 2 akshara graham. Being a Friday eveninger time management weighed heavily I suppose.

sAvERi rAgam was to showcase her traditionalism in approach. She elaborated it with stridency that rAga demands. SrI Embar Kannan provided able support in tAnam.

Sri Subramaniam followed through with intersperses in the kArvais of the Pallavi and provided a emphatic tani post Pallavi with vatta kuzhambu – cuTTa appAlam collus of the kumbakONam style, all with its cApus and arudhis.

The viruttam brought out the soulfulness and traditionalism in her rendition and the descent in inda mAnilattE with cencuruTTi drew instant appreciation from many.

A great prelude to her upcoming mArgazhi and NO where I felt that the senior vidushi is having any trouble in expressing what she wants to. Well she is not the same musician who sang in her early days in the Institute @ music club – 1991 – if you get what I mean.

But I will tell you , she is still singing like someone to earn that recognition , she was trying to that day.

rajeshnat

Re: Vidushi Sowmya with Embar Kannan & Poongulam Subramanian - mayUrA Dallas - Sep 27 2019

Post by rajeshnat »

Shankarank
Thank you for writing review of concert of sowmya , There are atleast 8 artists touring in US . We have so far got only one so far in the last 2 weeks. Just curious how long was this concert.

shankarank

Re: Vidushi Sowmya with Embar Kannan & Poongulam Subramanian - mayUrA Dallas - Sep 27 2019

Post by shankarank »

It started about 30 min late and had to be finished in 2.5 hrs. Like the upcoming kalanidhi concert ;)