Any reviews of TMKs KGS concert?

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shreyas

Any reviews of TMKs KGS concert?

Post by shreyas »

A videoclip shows a bit of Mari Mari Ninne, no information besides that.

Ranganator

Re: Any reviews of TMKs KGS concert?

Post by Ranganator »

T M Krishna
K V Prasad
Anirudh Athreya

Song List

1. Ososi namadi-mukhari-misra Chapu-N,S
2. Vanajakshi varnam-kalyani-kanda ata-R,N
3. Nee matale mayanura-Purvikalyani-adi-R,T,N,S followed by a short thaniavartanam
4. Mari mari ninne-Kambhoji-Adi-R,N,S, thaniavartanam
5. RTP Kanada
“Chith sabayil nadam adum deivame...” Kanda triputa
Eduppu after first nine aksharams
Ragamalika neraval in Varali, mayamalavagoula, darbari kanada, ananda bhairavi
6. Poonkuyil Koovum
7. Behag thillana

The concert setting was not surprising, given it was TMK! However, it can be confidently said that the violin wasn’t missed. TMK mentioned after ososi that since the violin wasn’t present, he would try and sing more of neraval and swaram that ragam or tanam. Vanajakshi was an absolute treat and his incrediblemanodharma skills were on display. Neraval was vintage TMK style, starting slow and finishing in melkalam with that powerful climax. Purvikalyani was beautifully presented. The thani that followed was extremely rich and the aesthetic show by k v Prasad and Anirudh athreya was delightful, to say the least. TMK then began the kambhoji alapana. He then mentioned that he was going to sing Mari mari. He also went on to narrate an incident regarding Chinglepet Ranganathan, from whom he had learnt the kriti, also saying that every line had about 13 sangathis. He did a great job of highlighting each one of them. K V Prasad seemed reluctant to come out of thisra nadai in the thani. Wonderful support from Anirudh athreya as well.

It is very rare to listen to TMK sing RTPs these days. Given the fact that he is a pallavi expert, I had my expectations pretty high when he started the RTP. The pallavi saman was nine aksharas into the talam. The uttarangam also started 15 aksharams after the Poorvangam, making it a very tricky to present. Though TMK is not big on math, he did trikalam and even chatusra thisram. The ragamalika neraval was on a completely different level.

Poonguyil seems to be one of his favourites these days. The behag thillana was presented brilliantly with some kalpanaswarams. Overall he sang for around 2 hrs 45 mins. I felt he would have continued if he had been given time. A fantastic concert by TMK. I had read a post few days back saying TMKs list had become monotonous. Very nice to hear a different collection of songs.
Last edited by Ranganator on 10 Nov 2019, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

Ranganator

Post by Ranganator »

Forgive any typos!!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think it’s time to acknowledge that Sri TMK’s music has transcended lists......
Enough already (about lists, arrangements, placements, and placemats)....😜

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

It was I who said that the lists are becoming monotonous, this does seem refreshingly new!

Someone has already uploaded a few videos on YouTube which seem to cover the entire list. However, I feel like a few alapanas are missing. Please check and tell me.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Ranganator,
Please don't apologise. You've done us a favour by writing.

There are a few people around me who consider the violin an excrescence. Not me. I feel the violin is the greatest thing that has happened to help vocalists in CM!

TMK has the lung power and resources to carry off a concert without any accompaniment. So this comes as no surprise.

Here is the link to the You Tube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... UrpKOvgwaB

It is about 2 hours 30 minutes.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sirs,
Heard the Kalyani varnam and the Behag tillana.

The violin is sorely missed.

Somewhat lacking the usual resonance and appeal of TMK's music.

Will hear more.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sachi_r

Without Violin is like PAPAD baked in OWEN.PAPAD will be PAPAD if fried in OIL.
VIOLIN IS ESSENTIAL PART OF CM which enhances and removes the monotony.
I for one would never attend any concert if VIOLIN or Mridangam is absent.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

There's something fundamentally vintage about this concert. I find it quite nice that he sang so many rounds of rapid swaras as well as his classic melkala multiple-avarthana neraval in the Kalyani Varnam. However, I am yet to listen to the entire pieces and once I have done that I will also pitch in with my opinion (trying not to let my appreciation for TMK music get in the way).

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

There lies the nub. TMK does his best here. But the faint Sruti and nothing else for support, a heavy enough mridangam but the melodic fabric comes through as poorly woven.
It could just be the recording quality also. TBD =the benefit of doubt.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

hnbhagavan wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 19:49 Sachi_r
PAPAD will be PAPAD if fried in OIL.
Sri. HNB,
I was devastated to find a desolate Bajji Samaja y'day 😀

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I think u went to attend MANF program Ramakrishnan Murthy which was cancelled due to Ayodhya verdict Sec144.
So sad.The programs at Chowdiah Hall went on smoothly.