PREMA RANGARAJAN IN RAGASUDHA HALL- 18/11/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

PREMA RANGARAJAN IN RAGASUDHA HALL- 18/11/19

Post by CRama »

Accompanists.
Padma Sankar- Violin
Mannarkoil Balaji- Mridangam
Papanasam Seturaman- Ganjira.
List of songs.
• Kanada Ata tala varnam
• Ganganapathey- Hamsadhwani- HMB- (S)
• Paramakripasaagari- Yadukulakambodi- GNB - (R)
• Seshaachalanivaasa- Panthuvarali- Tirupati Narayanaswamy (R,N,S)
• Chede buddhimaanura- Athana- T (S)
• Kondaane Swami modiram- Dhanyasi- AK (R,N,S)
• Samiki sari jeppa jala- Begada-T
• Ekamresanaayakim- Shanmugapriya- MD (R,N,S)
• Tani avartanam
• Santhatham Govindaraajam- Nottuswaram- MD
• Tillana- Poornachandrika
• Mangalam

Prema Rangarajan, trained with veterans like Sulochana Pattabhiraman, S. Rajam etc, has an enviable repertoire of a wide spectrum of composers. Her concerts will give you an opportunity to listen to many rare compositions. Pantanthara sudham, is very special of her. And yesterday concert also followed suit. Starting the concert with the popular Kanada Ata tala varnam followed up with the Muthiah Bhagavatar composition – Ganganapathey and ornamented with a few bouts of kalpana swarams. Yesterday concert was Remembrance day concert of Mr.M.K Jagannathan, a connoisseur of music. While starting the concert, PR told that he was a great lover of Carnatic music and she would present some ragams and songs which he was much attached to.

In the concert, four ragams, Yadukulakambodi, Pantuvarali, Dhanyasi and Shanmugapriya were presented - with minute details and showing characteristic phrases with authenticity. Paramakripasagari- a masterpiece composition of GNB- is rarely heard outside the sishya parampara. It was refreshing to hear the song.

Seshachalaninvasa- the kriti in Pantuvarali is new to me. The charanam contained the words Tirupatipura Venkatesa. Hence I presume it is a composition of Tirupati Narayanaswamy. Neraval on the lines Varijasanadi vandita and the cascading swaras added sheen to the song. The Arunachalakavi composition in Dhanyasi was also new to me. Neraval on the lines Thayum thanthayum and two kala swarams in the kriti added weight to the song. The two Tyagaraja kritis taken as fillers- filler is a minomer in this conctext. They were presented in full detail and Chede budhi was decorated with sumptuous swaras in the Atheetha eduppu- which underscored the vidwath of the singer. Samiki sari is also a rarely heard one in Begada.

The main ragam Shanmugapriya was presented in a well disciplined manner for ten minutes with enough of brighas, akara phrases and curves and glides bringing out the raga bhavam very beautifully. The grand MD kriti was presented well with neraval on the lines Kanchi nagara nivasinim and elaborate swaras culminating in interesting koraippu and long complex korvai.

The role of pakkavadyams in the success of this concert deserve special mention. Padma Sankar on the Violiin played very well. Her raga alapanas were good match for the manodharmam of Prema Rangarajan and the swara returns were appropriate. Mannarkoil Balaji embellished the concert to a great extent with his right volume, sunadam, deft strokes, clarity and anticipation. The tani was much enjoyable for the variety of sollus he employed and energy level displayed. Papanasam Sethuraman on the Ganjira jelled well with Balaji.

An excellent concert for two hours and fifteen minutes. A befitting start of the music season for me.

CRama

Re: PREMA RANGARAJAN IN RAGASUDHA HALL- 18/11/19

Post by CRama »

Song NO 4- Seshachalanivasa in Pantuvarali is a composition of Patnam Subramania Iyer. Not Tirupati Narayanaswamy.

Ajit Ramachandran

Post by Ajit Ramachandran »

Fantastic set of pieces. Padma Shankar I’ve heard before and is an excellent violin artiste. Was this concert recorded by the organisers by any chance and possibly available?

CRama

Post by CRama »

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

CRama wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 14:11 Song NO 4- Seshachalanivasa in Pantuvarali is a composition of Patnam Subramania Iyer. Not Tirupati Narayanaswamy.
I referred to this list: https://www.karnatik.com/co1041.shtml (which may not be complete) and couldn't find this song. I doubt that it's his composition.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

shESAcala nivAsa. rAgA: kAmavardhini. Adi tALA. Patnam Subramania Iyer/Tirupati Narayanasvami.

P: shESAcala nivAsa mAmava shrInivAsa venkaTEsha sarvEsha
A: shESAdri shayana pApavinAshakara tOSa rahita puSkaraNita shAsira
C: vArijAsanAdi vandita bhavacara vArijAkSi sAdhu hrdayamiha brOva
vArANasi hara tirupatIpura varada venkaTEshvara jaya sAgara

Patnam's mudra venkaTEshvara appears in the last line. So does the mudra of Tirupati Narayanasvami (tirupatipura). So take your pick.

Ajit Ramachandran

Post by Ajit Ramachandran »

CRama wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 19:18 link to the above concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZH1hBIioYI
Thank you so much!