Any reviews of Sanjay Sub's 2019 Thamizhum Naanum concerts?

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
bhasi

Any reviews of Sanjay Sub's 2019 Thamizhum Naanum concerts?

Post by bhasi »

If somebody could post just the list of songs, that would be nice. I'd love to discover some new Thamizh songs! Thank you.

kvchellappa

Re: Any reviews of Sanjay Sub's 2019 Thamizhum Naanum concerts?

Post by kvchellappa »

Srinivasan Ranganathan Kv Chellappa posting my review on day 1 of the series The curtain raised sharp at 6.30 PM in Music Academy on 7th December 2019. Shri Sanjay Subrahmanyan was seen with his welcome gesture along with his favorite team comprising Shri S. Varadarajan in Violin, Shri Neyveli Venkatesh in Mridhangam and Shri. K. V. Gopalakrishnan in Ganjira.
It was day 1 of the 2 days concert at Music Academy organized by TVS Emerald with the concept “ Tamizhum Naanum “. Sanjay’s obsession for Tamil has been quite evident in the last several years as he sings more tamil songs in most of his concerts. It was last year he started this exclusive tamil krithis Tamizhum Naanum and is followed this year with additional one day. The concept is not new as Tamilisai sangam organizes series of concerts every year (happening for few decades now) but an artist choosing to sing exclusive Tamil krithis outside “tamilisai sangham” banner or concept driven Margazhi mahotsavam series is something less heard. Concerts like this helps both artists and rasikas to come across brilliant compositions our Tamil composers have given. With this expectation, I, like any other Rasika was excited to listen to this genius
He started the concert with a breezy abhogi varnam – “Maye” composed by Mayuram Viswanatha Sasthri set to Ada thaalam. Next one to follow was a small virutham on Lord Siva in gambeera naattai followed by krithi “ hara hara siva sankara “ composed by Gopalakrishna Barathi set to Tisra tripudai thalam
Next came a classy alapanai in Malayamarudham. Song chosen was Chandira Oliyil Avalai Kanden, Misra chapu thalam, written by Mahakavi Bharathiyar. He did a fantastic Niraval in the lines “ bayam illmal uzhaikka chonnal “ followed by peppy swaras.
After a small krithi Ambara Chidambaram in ragam Jana ranjani, he picked up Bhairavi as main. With 10 minutes detailed alapanai in bhairavi demonstrating his control over the raga in various sancharas with multi paces, he took the audience to a different world of music. Varadarajan followed suit in violin. Not surprisingly, the krithi chosen was Arunachala kavirayar’s “ Yaaro, Ivar Yaaro “ in rettai Kalai Aadhi thalam. Niraval at the lines ‘ Chandra bhimba Mukha “ followed by slow paced swaras justified the chosen krithi. He made fast track Korvais for this and then allowed thani. Neyveli Venkatesh and K.V.Gopalakrishnan gave a brilliant thani as acknowledged by the audience
There was a filler “ Avan seyal andru or anuvum asaya “ in ragam Hamir Kalyani composed by Harikesanallur Muthaih Baghavathar. It is understood he sings this krithi quite often. Then came a brilliant RTP in Khamas. Be it the ragam or the thaanam, he traversed to the entire length and breadth of the ragam with all possible prayoghams. Varadarajan complemented this very well with his domination over the raga
Pallavi chosen was a nice composition of Namakkal Kavignar Ramalingam Pillai – Tamizhan endroru inamundu, thaniye avarkoru gunamundu, amizhdham avanadhu mozhiyagum, anbe avanadhu vazhiyagum. This song was popularised by MGR in the movie Malaikkallan. Sanjay took the first four lines and presented a neat Pallavi with ragamalika swarams in ragas Khamas, Varaali, Bilahari and Kapi. Of these 4 ragas, Kapi swaraas were thunderous and he concluded this Pallavi with Kaapi.
Then came the ever loving Thunbam nergayil yazh eduthu nee in ragam desh. Everytime Sanjay sings this, he gets an overwhelming response from the audience (though they did not ask him to repeat)
After this, he presented a ragamalika virutham covering Hamsanandhi, Anandabairavi, sahana and behag. Krithi he took up was Karpagambigai nee allavo composed by Tamizh thyagarajar Papanasam Sivan avargal. It was very neatly presented and the krithi followed was Thirumangai Azhwar composition virperu vizhavum in ragam sindhu bhairavi. It is understood that Kanchipuram Venkata Varadhan dedicated his entire life to give the musical forms of Nalayira dhivya prabandham because of which we are able to hear some songs even now.
The concert was concluded with a Mangalam on Lord Muruga composed by Koteeswara Iyer
While some details with respect to the krithis rendered today are available in the Pamphlet circulated before the concert, I need to research on few to know about the composers. The entire concert was a great treat to all the rasikas who returned a standing ovation at the end. Looking forward to day 2 on Dec 8th at the same venue

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Srinivasan Ranganathan
Yesterday at 7:33 AM
Its 8th December 2019 at Music Academy, after a hot coffee (surprise meet with our friends Sandhiya Srinivasan & Shanmuganathan) all eyes were glued on to the stage to listen to Shri Sanjay Subrahmanyan on day 2 of the thematic concert “ Tamizhum Naanum “. Expectations were high after listening to day 1 and the stage was well set for this genius to fire from all cylinders. The same warmth, smiling look along with his team - same from the previous day with a change in the form of ghatam by Shri N. Guruprasad, instead of Ganjhira (KVG)

He started the concert with a begada varnam “ Sariyo nee “ in adi thalam composed by Tiger Varadachariyar, followed by Naalayira Divhya Prabandham “ Pallandu Pallandu “ in ragam Naattai

After taking the audience through nattai, he chose Sriranjani as sub-main. A classic alapanai of sriranjani was presented. The krithi chosen was Innisai tamizh amudham written by Kavimani desiga Vinayagam pillai and tuned by Shri Calcutta S. Krishnamoorthi (Sanjay’s Guru). Thank God, Sanjay mentioned this in the stage, else, it will be difficult to trace the composer details. Krithi was rendered with utmost melody that Sriranjani offers and the short swaras for the same were apt.

A filler in the form of a less heard krithi “ Kadavulai Maravadhe “ in a rare ragam Thandavam, composed by M.M Dhandapani Desigar. Thandavam is understood to be a janya of shankarabaranam with audava swaras – S G P D N S, S N D P G S. A slight variant of Valaji in Nishadham.

Another sub main came in the form of 67th melakartha Sucharitra. This has two vivadhi swaras – Rishabham in Gandharam and Nishadham in dhaivadham. Ragas with vivadhi swaras add a lot of beauty to the tunes. With 2 vivadhi swaras, Sucharitra as a ragam has special touches and Sanjay gave a superb alapanai and followed up with a Koteeswara Iyer composition “Velum Mayilume” in rupaka thalam. The krithi and short swaras were very good

The main chosen was Kambodhi. No alapanai rendered but a viruttham filled this. The krithi chosen was a Gopalakrishna Barathi composition “ Thiruvadi Charnam endringu naan nambi vandhen “. It is seen in the internet that this was popularised by Shri Musuri Subramanyam Iyer and Shri Madurai Mani Iyer. A very beautiful presentation of Krithi and the niraval at adhuthu vandha ennai took kambodhi to a different level. Slow paced swaras and the fast track swaras were rendered aesthetically. Perhaps it was popularized by Madurai Mani Iyer too, Sanjay brought in his memory to the swaras with the prayogam “ Ga ma Paa ma ga, ri ga sa ri ga ga “. After this, he gave thani. Neyveli Venkatesh and Gururprasad gave a fantastic thani.

After the main, a filler in huseni was sang. Krithi was “ Eppadi Manam thunindhadho “ composed by Arunachala Kavirayar.

The masterpiece of the day was reserved for an ever melodious and an emotional raga
“ Subhapantuvarali “. RTP in SPV is rare and performed only by Stalwarts. Sanjay being one presented a brilliant Subhapantuvarali covering various prayogams of this raga in detail in both the forms – ragam and thaanam. The supersonic movement between octaves gave a different experience and the audience were spell bound on the rendition. Varadarajan extended a great support in violin for this ( he was too good in Kambodhi and sucharitra as well). Thunderous applause came in when he completed the thaanam. He sprang a surprise in the Pallavi by choosing a Thirukkural – Kuzhalinidhu Yaazhinidhu enbar thammakkal mazhalai sol keladhavar.

Pallavi was rendered with appropriate lakshanas and grammar. As expected ragamalika swaras were present. After Subapantuvarali, the ragas that came were Kadhana kudhookalam, Sahana, Sivaranjani and Behag. All these were rendered with champion stuff.

Thukdas to follow were:

1. Mahakavi’s Kaani nilam vendum – ragamalika – Hamsadhwani, ????(appeared to be Rakeshri, not sure) and sindhu bhairavi
2. Muruganai Bhaji Maname – Jonpuri, composed by Tamizh Thyagarajar Papanasam Sivan
3. Mangalamai vaazha in madhyamavathi

A standing ovation greeted Sanjay after the concert is over. This concept was a great success and rasikas hope a repeat next year too. As we walked out, the Subha pantuvarali followed us even after other ragas were rendered. This memory would go on till next year and more (like the hamsanandhi RTP he rendered last year lasts even now).

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

Kvchellappa - Thanks for sharing! It's a bit refreshing to read a fair account of the concert with a lot of detail vs some effusively, cloyingly praising notes about this set of concerts that are widespread over social media. Thanks again & looking forward to more such reviews this season.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The reviews are by Sri Srinivasan Ranganathan.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kvchellappa wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 10:29 Then came a brilliant RTP in Khamas. Be it the ragam or the thaanam, he traversed to the entire length and breadth of the ragam with all possible prayoghams. Varadarajan complemented this very well with his domination over the raga

Pallavi chosen was a nice composition of Namakkal Kavignar Ramalingam Pillai – Tamizhan endroru inamundu, thaniye avarkoru gunamundu, amizhdham avanadhu mozhiyagum, anbe avanadhu vazhiyagum.
Kudos to Sanjay Subrahmanyan, the musically brilliant musician in particularly picking up this cute and appropriate pallavi line . Not a day especially in the last say 5 years plus do i miss that feeling .To connect with a pallavi with this lovely nammakkal kavignar apt line does make it special to me. I am assuming there is a team that may have helped in curating and getting this lovely pallavi line. If it is kudos to any person who may have helped him. Thank you Srinivasan Ranganathan and KVChellapa.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

Neraval in the malayamArutham song was at "payan eNAmal uzhaikka choNAl" (பயனெண்ணாமல் உழைக்கச் சொன்னாள்) (nish kAma karma) and not “ bayam illmal uzhaikka chonnal “,

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
This reminds me of a story: there was once a mAmiyAr (m-in-law) who had nothing but appreciation for her marumagaL (d-in-law). So, whenever the young woman did, said or excelled in something, she would acknowledge the young one with a compliment and add, 'see, coming from such a family, what do you expect?/of course, her mother has been such a good guide and an example unto her/ her great accomplishments are also accompanied by a lucky streak in her, bless her :)

Though my tamizh knowledge is reasonable, it's not as if I can understand all of the old words in verses. I have over the years resorted to the dictionary for some of them which Sanjay sings. Long, tough lines too. As a gItA vAchaka line that kuntalavarali cites: payan eNNAmal uzhaikka chonnAL, bhakti seidu pizhaikka chonnAL. Seemingly transparent lines with under currents of meaning. Unless the singer has the appreciation for such lines, he can't bring in the 'right' bhAva they contain without understanding their impact.
You will say, 'you being a big Sanjay rasikA, etc' now, and all I can say is: Rajesh, that's why...:)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

IIRC, I have previously heard candiran oLiyil avaLai kaNDEn in candrakauns. I am sure the malayamArutam version was equally evocative. I do not see too many unfamiliar (or new) kRtis (or should I say uruppaDis?) on both days, with the exception of the two varNams and of course, the rousing pallavi on Day 1. He has sung the other pallavi on other occasions.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, Ravi. It was about a dozen years ago that I heard Sanjay sing kuzhal inidu,yAzh inidu enbar as a Pallavi line. It was such a refreshing thing then to hear. It's understood that to make a Pallavi shine, the kaNakku aspects have to be considered first, since an RTP is to showcase their capacity for structuring it. That' s why many Pallavi lines of yore were not given much attention for their content. kattirikkAi vIsai (an old weight measure) enna vilai? or some such thing was sung too. vengAyam kilo enna vilai would be topical, incidentally :)

Yes, gushing is part of a fan's make up. We can ignore the hype and just look for the essentials. Compared to what I see of people reacting to any picture on face book etc, Wow!, so cute, so beautiful etc of every picture of a friend or kin, it's not much, coming from admirers of their favorites' music.

Another thing: the arts interact in a culturally rich society and do not remain in pockets. Let alone CM fans. Strictly movie music fans do realize and appreciate it that a beautiful song comes alive even more when the lyrics are exceptional too.
Last edited by arasi on 12 Dec 2019, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bhasi,
It's good to see younger people showing much interest for tamizh lyrics. Many other vocalists seem to do the same these days. If you are looking for even more tamizh songs, though a bit far away, Tamizhisai manRam yields as many unfamiliar songs in tamizh from their very many concerts during the season, from ancient hymns to the compositions of the modern composers.
It was something special and refreshing to hear all the songs in the language I understood most in that venue when I was a youngster!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Terrific marketing of this "product". Last year Sanjay did one day and this year two. Ticket prices are exorbitant. Meant, may be, only for NRIs. I have close friend who is VP-Finance in TVS, told me they (TVS) had a very good profit on this programme last year and this year expected to fare better. That is why two days ?! . Sanjay, MA and TVS all had good amount of profit. He also added no free passes to even TVS officials !!!!
Rasikas of Sanjay - as Music academy Sriram said -( in a programme in Ariyakkudi/KVN Rememberance day, as one of the Chief guest)- always come out happily, as if attending a family function or marriage ....
Undoubtedly Sanjay is a music magician.
For example in Narada Gana Sabha (two days back) the dais was Rs. 300 Sanjay's concert. . கார்த்திக் பைன் ஆர்ட்ஸ் - தியாகராஜன் சொன்னது - "காற்றுள்ள போதே, தூற்றிக்கொள்"

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

grsastrigal wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 11:45 Terrific marketing of this "product".
You are doing your part very well :D

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

grsastrigal wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 11:45 I have close friend who is VP-Finance in TVS, told me they (TVS) had a very good profit on this programme last year and this year expected to fare better. That is why two days ?! . Sanjay, MA and TVS all had good amount of profit. He also added no free passes to even TVS officials !!!!
I don't think TVS is making a "profit" from this program. They have projects of a few 100 crores (See tvsemerald.com) and this program is their marketing activity. May be you meant to say that they are getting the right exposure for their projects.