S.SRIVATSAN IN MUDHRA- 11/12/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

S.SRIVATSAN IN MUDHRA- 11/12/19

Post by CRama »

Accompanists- Usha Rajagopalan- Violin
M.S.Varadan- Mridangam
H.Sivaramakrishnan- Ghatam.
List of songs.
• Varnam- Saveri
• Yochana- Durbar- T (R,S)
• Seshachalanayakam- Varali- MD (R,N,S)
• Enneramum undan- Devagandhari-GKB (R)
• Sreekaanthaneeyeda- Bhavapriya-T (S)
• Sree Raghuvaraprameya- Kambodi- T (R,N,S)
• Tani avartanam
• RTP- Shanmugapriya- Khanda Triputa
Sahithyam- aaru thalai Muruga Madhavan marugaa
Aaruthalai thandarul kanindu
• Samayamide- Behag
• Vellai taamarai poovil iruppaal- Bimplas- Bharatiyar
• Tiruppugazh- Hamsanandi
• Bruhi mukundeti- Chenjuruti- Sadasiva brahmendra
• Ramachandraya janaka- Mangalam- Navaroj- BHadrachalam Ramadas

Srivatsan is an upcoming vidwan- disciple of A.S.Murali- coming in the SSI parampara through PSN. Srivatsan is the winner of the Sangeeta Mudhra title of Mudhra for the year 2019. The winner of Mudhra’s Cutcheri competition is given a slot in the prime time in their Annual festival besides the cash award, certificate and he will get the advantage of being accompanied by senior accompanists whereas in the other sabhas he would have go through morning, after noon slots to get a prime slot. I had already heard a u tube concert and opened another thread of this vidwan. Today’s concert reinforced my opinion about this vidwan. This young man is sure to make it big in his career with his dedication, hard work and focussed musical journey. He has got very good vice that has got good throw, range, sweetness and power. Has got the basics right given his lineage and has got the manodharmam and adequate repertoire, concert planning and bonding with the accompanists.

In today’s concert, his alapanas of Durbar, Varali, Devagandhari, Kambodi and Shanmugapriya had all the characteristic phrases of the ragam and his open throated singing, manodharmam, well rounded gamakams long akara sangatis all in the desired proportion and the raga alapana is comparable to that of any seasoned vidwan. The kritis bore the stamp of Semmangudi- especially in Sreekanthaneeyeda with its cracker swarams. The RTP in Khanda Triputa had ragamalika neraval and swarams in Saveri and Behag and the final korvai incorporating all the three tagams was a tight rope walking which he accomplished with flair. Some of the rasikas requested for Bharatiar song , being the birthday of Bharatiar, and he readily obliged with one song.

The pakka vadyams deserve all praise for their readiness to accompany the young vidwan and they lifted the concert to a great extent. The alapanas of Usha Rajagopalan with her admirable thick and thin shades and imagination was a trigger for the imagination of the vocalist. M.S. Varadan and Sivaramakrishnan, the seasoned percussionists supported the concert with their unobtrusive playing, anticipation and understanding. After the concert, a few sabhanayakas went upto him and took his phone number and assured opportunities. Definitely, a vidwan to watch for. He is singing in a few sabhas like Arkay, Brahma Gana Sabha, Nadasudha etc this season and it is for us to encourage this talented vidwan.

SrinathK

Re: S.SRIVATSAN IN MUDHRA- 11/12/19

Post by SrinathK »

I heard him first time live during Dr. (??)Madhusudhanan Kalaichelvan's lec dem at Arkay Convention Center for the Thyagaraja vibhakti kritis of Muthuswami Dikshitar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOtq7zDaCA&t=107s

His classy rendering was an instant hit with me. Definitely someone we need to watch out for in the near future.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

It is so evident where if you name me a sabha , i can tell who are the groupies and who would be the next set of junior artists who will move to that sabha's senior slot. Of course this bias is not for all but it is there for considerable sabhas . But what Mudhra and Radha Bhaskar are doing is truly a fantastic recognition to preserve carnatic music every year for 50 years and beyond . Few years back they gave this award to anahita-apoorva , Madurai sivaganesh , few more whom I have forgotten and now S Srivatsan . After the award is given they are not forgotten but given a prime slot to showcase their capability along with the established. There appears a sincere evaluation of competitions - no gooja thookara groupism with their w own chelas there.

Vocalist success is only made of 2 major dimensions the quality of star pakkavadhyams that they keep and the duration of concerts that they sing (time or sabha does not matter, academy 2 and half is musically useless when compared to pozhichalur 3 and half) . Mudhra and Radha bhaskar genuinely encouraging talent to give them a 150 mins concert time atleast gives a right contextual support for that young vidwan/vidushi who may just be confused whether i can take that as their career .These slots help youngsters like Srivatsan to visualize their long term and will take up music despite 1001 negative blocks that may come in their short to medium term.

God bless mudhra and radha bhaskar on their 25th year . Looking forward to hear some concert in mudhra , only the samudhra mount road traffic on a week day is not helping me to reach Mudhra on time.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 08:13 Bruhi mukundeti- Chenjuruti- Sadasiva brahmendra
Srivatsan's great grand paramaguru semmangudi tuned it in kurinji. Crama -I am assuming you made a mistake.

CRama

Post by CRama »

rajeshnat wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 16:42
CRama wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 08:13 Bruhi mukundeti- Chenjuruti- Sadasiva brahmendra
Srivatsan's great grand paramaguru semmangudi tuned it in kurinji. Crama -I am assuming you made a mistake.
i stand corrected. I had already left while singing the Tirupugazh and hearing it from a distance, I got the ragam wrong.