SUDHA RAGHUNATHAN IN MUDHRA- 14/12/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

SUDHA RAGHUNATHAN IN MUDHRA- 14/12/19

Post by CRama »

ACCOMPANISTS
L.Ramakrishnan- Violin
N.C.Bharadwaj- Mridangam
Anirudh Athreya- Ganjira.
List of songs.
• Kalyani Adi tala varnam
• Swaminaatha Paripaalayaasumaam- Nata- MD
• Daarinitelusukonti- Sudhasaaveri- T (S)
• Balagopala- Bhairavi- MD (R,N,S)
• Tani aartanam
• Rama Rama Rama enniro- Vasantha- PD
• RTP- six Pentatonic ragams
• Hamsadhwani. Aabhogi, Madhyamaavaty,Sunaadavinodini. Mohanam, Revati.
• Talam- Mishra Triputa- 2 kalai
• Muraleedharaa Gopaala- Maund
• Gopaalarathnam- slokam- Sindubhairavi
• Venkataachalanilayam- Sindubhairavi
• Tillana- Behag
• Mangalam

The concert of Sudha Raghunathan stood out for her planning, experience, manodharmam and rapo with the co artistes. Her voice is showing signs of age, but her long experience and vidwat compensates for that and she is able to bring out her imagination without any compromise. The varnam and the kriti in Nata were brisk and paved way for a memorable concert that was to follow.

She started the kriti Darini as Sundarini going with the meaning of the song. We are habituated to hear Darini for half a century and OK with that. Even while singing swarams she took the eduppu as Sundarini. Bhairavi was given a very elaborate treatment for about 15 minutes. Her manodharmam and concert experience sparkled through the Bhairavi with the abundance of brighas, gamakams and akara sancharams. The kriti Balagopla was rendered in the appropriate kalapramanam. Neraval at the lines Neela neerada and the cascade of swara prastarams vouched for her manodharmam and added glory to the rendition.

The RTP was a very unconventional one. She chose six pentatonic ragams and she sang alapanas and tanams in all the ragams. The alapanas of Hamsadhwani and Revati were elaborate and captivating. Other alapanas were rather brief. The pallavi sahithyam is difficult to explain. It is simply the arohanam avarohanam of all the ragams. One example I am giving below.
Sarii sarigaa sarigapaa sarigapanii sarigapanisaa Hamsadhwani ragam enpadu. Similarly it was sung for all the other ragams replacing Hamsadhwani with the name of other ragams. Neraval and trikalam were done in Hamsadhwani. Swarams were rendered in all the ragams. It was very complex pallavi and she executed with precision.

Many people judge her music taking into account non musical factors. That need not be. A few people asked me why I am going for her concert. We need not reject her music. Her manodharmam, concert delivery etc are still good and her voice is still pleasing.

Personally I will like a RTP with elaborate alapana of one or two ragams. I feel she sticks to the concert format of MLV- never introduce any new kritis or ragams. (I have not heard many of her concerts).

Vijaya Siva and Mahathi were sitting in the front row and enjoying each and every phrase of the concert and showing their appreciation.

L. Ramakrishnan played the alapanas with intensity and imagination. NC Bharadwaj and Anirudh Athreya supported very well. The concert for two and half hours was excellent.

shankarabharanam

Re: SUDHA RAGHUNATHAN IN MUDHRA- 14/12/19

Post by shankarabharanam »

Many people judge her music taking into account non musical factors. That need not be. A few people asked me why I am going for her concert. We need not reject her music. Her manodharmam, concert delivery etc are still good and her voice is still pleasing.
How aptly put Crama. Thanks a wonderful review of the concert of vidushi Smt Sudha Ragunathan. I heard her concerts at MMU and Karthik Fine Arts this season and she was superb.

Personally I believe she is one of the best in this field. A person who has been in the field for over forty years and yet draws a huge crowd is commendable. I heard the mudhra concert was simply breathtaking especially the rtp.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Crama
Was pallavi neraval and swaras sung in all 6 ragas. How long was pallavi alone.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The pallavi neraval swaram was done in all the ragams. The pallavi was for 50 minutes

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Nice, prompt and crisp review, CRama. The concert seems to stand out for the innovative RTP. We can expect the webcast by Mudhra (paalam TV)at a later date

I attended the Lalgudi siblings' violin concert at Krishna Gana Sabha the same evening. Shall post briefly.

Kindly write about SrutiSagar's superb flute recital which we attended together.