Bombay Jayashri Ramnath at Music Academy Dec 27th, 2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
gajaa

Bombay Jayashri Ramnath at Music Academy Dec 27th, 2019

Post by gajaa »

Bombay Jayashri Ramnath Vocal
H. N Bhaskar Violin
Patri Satish Kumar Mridangam
B. Shree Sundar Kumar Ganjira
4pm slot (Concert was exactly 2.30 min in duration)

1. PArvati kumAram - NAta Kurinji - Dikshitar (Raga Sketch, Swaras)
2. GAnaMUrthi - GAnamUrthi - Thyagaraja (Raga Sketch)
3. RAmA nIve Gati - Suruti - Ambujam Krishna (R, S) (Sub-main)
4. Ninne Nammiti (Main)- Simhendra Madhyamam - Mysore VAsudEvAchAr (R, N, S) (over 50 min). Graha bedam to Bowli during Alapana
5. Behag RTP followed by Tani - Ragamalika Swaras in Desh, Ranjani, Kapi(over 1 hour)
Muruga unai Marava Varam Arulvai - Vel
Thirumal Maruga

6. Madhava Mamava Deva - Neelambari
7. Viruttam (Adharamile Nin Arulai Perave.....) followed by Sindhubhairavi Lalgudi tillana (Malon Marugan Murugan)

Jayashri delivered a stellar concert at the MA this season, truly deserving of the 'Best Vocalist' Award that she was given yesterday at the Sadas. Her voice was in great form & her music was in line with her signature style - deep, meditative, no pyrotechnics. Great emphasis & duration was allotted to the main & RTP. For the RTP, the alapana was rendered in 2 stages with a lot of beautiful sancharas of behag. The suruti kriti by Ambujam Krishna was a first for me. HNB was his true melodic self throughout the concert & his versions of Suruti, Simhendra Madhyamam and the ultimate Behag were scintillating. (He was awared "Best Violinist" at the sadas yesterday). The tani lasted for around 12 min & Patri was a rage :). Rooting for her to be the next SK in 2020. Time will tell!

rajeshnat

Re: Bombay Jayashri Ramnath at Music Academy Dec 27th, 2019

Post by rajeshnat »

patri who played for sudha and bombay jayashri also got an award. playing tani for just 12 mins gave atleast 8 more mins for rtp.

looking at song list no major big 5 ragas at all. just an observation

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Hi Rajesh!! Nice review-I attended it as well--but did not "sight" you--re;your lament about 5 major big five ragas--WHy do you "ostracize" SIMHENDRA MAHYAMAM just because it does not fogure in the top 5!! Just kidding!!
I am in Chennai till Jan 6th. My local mobile is :9790739619. Txt me or call me. I plan to bein Coimbatore till FEb 8th--return to Chennai and leave for US by March 18th.Let's plan on getting together.

arasi

Post by arasi »

MKR,
Gaja wrote the review. Rajesh commented on it. How many award winners from this concert!
I haven't heard this song of Ambujam Krishna in a performance before.

MaamiAtHeart

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

What a lovely concert it would have been!! Is there any way we can legally download and listen to this?

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 08:44 Hi Rajesh!! Nice review-I attended it as well--but did not "sight" you--re;your lament about 5 major big five ragas--WHy do you "ostracize" SIMHENDRA MAHYAMAM just because it does not fogure in the top 5!! Just kidding!!
I am in Chennai till Jan 6th. My local mobile is :9790739619. Txt me or call me. I plan to bein Coimbatore till FEb 8th--return to Chennai and leave for US by March 18th.Let's plan on getting together.
Just difficult to believe that MKR is no more with us.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Look at his never-ending optimism there too--speaking up for mighty simhendra madhyamam! I agree with him, and had I told him so, he would have beamed...:(

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Simhendra madhyamam is a big raga although not as popular as Keeravani or BIg 5.
But most of the vidwans when they hav dealt with Simhendra madhyamam have elaborated the raga in detail with neraval swaras etc - in particular Ninne Nammitinayya and Rama Rama Guna Seema are main and Kamakshi Kama koti is submain or can be main as well. TNS always sings Narahari deva of AMbujam Krishna with a preceeding alapanai and/or vrittam/shlokam. R Vedavalli sings Mammu Brochupatla in detail and also the other Tyagarajar song in S'Madhyamam - I can't remember but Ravikiran has played it in detail in Chitravina as well.
Only Asaindhaadum mayilondru is filler/thukkadda

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Generally Asaindhaadum mayil can be viewed as a light/vaLavaLa song. I remember a concert at Odukathur Mutt when TNS launched into a neraval on the lines "Nijamaana sugam endru ondru irundhaal, ivvulagil idhuvandri vERadhuvum anRu'. The wave he weaved magic on the lines made me wonder if the lines were on Krishna or on the ragam itself. An unforgettable memory for me.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

yes oothukkadu compositions too many words and very busy lyrics
Can call it a bit valavala - romba paesindey irundhaa - they say that only

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Nathajana paripalaka Tyagarajar Simhendramadhyamam