Madhyama sruthi ragams - Bharath Sundar lec dem

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
HarishankarK

Madhyama sruthi ragams - Bharath Sundar lec dem

Post by HarishankarK »

V nice effort by Bharath
One question - he mentioned he won't include Sindhu Bhairavi and Yamuna Kalyani because these ragas are sung both madhyma and sama shruthis. Is this correct?
I always thought S Bhairavi and Yamuna Kalyani is madhyamam. If we can sing in both sama and madhyamq sruthis how will one know which compostiion to sing in which shruthi????

HarishankarK

Re: Madhyama sruthi ragams - Bharath Sundar lec dem

Post by HarishankarK »

Also someone told that Panchamam varjya ragams to be sung in Madhyama shruthi e.g. Hindolam and Abhogi- is this correct??
Unsure Why he didn't mention about this??
I am asking this even though he did mention that he will deal with ragas that are Only always sung in madhyama shruthi e.g. Navaroj, Nadanamakriya

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

HarishankarK wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 11:30 V nice effort by Bharath
One question - he mentioned he won't include Sindhu Bhairavi and Yamuna Kalyani because these ragas are sung both madhyma and sama shruthis. Is this correct?
yes. these ragams are dealt in madhyama and sama sruthi.
HarishankarK wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 11:30 I always thought S Bhairavi and Yamuna Kalyani is madhyamam. If we can sing in both sama and madhyamq sruthis how will one know which compostiion to sing in which shruthi????
depends on the composition itself, but, also, on the artist and where it is sung during the concert.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

HarishankarK wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 11:32 Also someone told that Panchamam varjya ragams to be sung in Madhyama shruthi e.g. Hindolam and Abhogi- is this correct??
Unsure Why he didn't mention about this??
some artists prefer to keep the 'pa' switched off when they sing ragams which dont have the 'pa'. some others re-tune to tambura to 'ma' and still sing in sama sruthi. when you must not go to 'pa' and the 'pa' keeps coming back to you from the drone, it can be distractive.
HarishankarK wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 11:32 I am asking this even though he did mention that he will deal with ragas that are Only always sung in madhyama shruthi e.g. Navaroj, Nadanamakriya
as per SSP, there are only 4 ragams which are to be sung in madhya sthayi. navaroj, nadaramakriya, punnagavarali and one more, which i dont remember now.

for ragams like kuranji, there is specific note to not sing it in madhya sthayi.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

interesting topic for a lec-dem

where and when was this?

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

Music academy, the link is there in youtube under the Music academy channel

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

vid. sankari krishnan has released a thematic album by name: tara - the beauty of madhyama sruti
https://g.co/kgs/KNtk9f where she has covered 12 ragas.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

[/quote]
as per SSP, there are only 4 ragams which are to be sung in madhya sthayi. navaroj, nadaramakriya, punnagavarali and one more, which i dont remember now.
[/quote]
should be Saindavi as he took up that one as the fourth along with your three ragams mentioned above