How to do a Lec-dem: Dr. T. S. Satyavathi on Vid. R. K. Srikantan

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sachi_R

How to do a Lec-dem: Dr. T. S. Satyavathi on Vid. R. K. Srikantan

Post by Sachi_R »

Youtube link:https://youtu.be/yQ0B4EDLWlY

Over the years, I have found several lec-dems at the MA as enjoyable as the evening concerts by stars. The reason would simply be that as one develops a love for Carnatic music, true appreciation of the creator and the creative process becomes as important as soaking in the creation itself. And the MA seems never to disappoint, by arranging so many wonderful lec-dems. A bounty now is their YT archive!

After watching this lec-dem by the incomparable Vid. Dr. T. S. Satyavathi (disclaimer: I am a fan 🙂), I can say she showcased in this lec-dem not only the music and personality of her guru but brought to everyone's attention how to do a great lec-dem.

I think lec-dems can be of four types:
1. सामान्य - A spoken wiki page like presentation with data and samples and anecdotes and allusions.
2. मध्यम - A better lec-dem that provides a context and comparison with our present understanding and shines a new light on the subject.

3. उत्तम - A rivetting and attention-grabbing delivery that does justice to the subject and creates a keenness to know more.

4. परम - A presentation which becomes an art-form that makes us fall in love with the subject and respond to the lec-dem itself with an "Aha! How well done!"

Dr.Satyavathi is a master at the fourth level. I have heard many of her lec-dems. They never fail to make me happy at the end of the presentation.

In this lec-dem, she paints a most beautiful picture of her own guru as a special musician, a life-long learner, a man of profound understanding of what is great in our music, one who sang for more than 70 years in his golden voice. His calibre as a tunesmith and singer is something EVERY music lover in our region knows who heard Geetaaraadhana on the Bangalore AIR every morning for so many years. I remember one song where he sings, ರಾಮನಿಂಥಾ ಚೆಲುವನಮ್ಮಮ್ಮ, that narrates how Hanuman, when quizzed by Sita to test if he really came as Rama's emissary, describes Rama. It still rings in my ears and captivates me.

Dr. Satyavathi employs such a wonderful language, replete with Samskrita quotes, theory references, and impeccable pointers, that everyone simply feasts on the experience. And Her choice of audio and video clips is so well done that we get a grand tour of the great musician's world.

SK Dr. Sowmya responds very much on these lines of mine at the end.

Something I will cherish and share for a long time.
Last edited by Sachi_R on 10 Jan 2020, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

munirao2001

Re: How to do a Lec-dem: Dr. T. S. Satyavathi on Vid. R. K. Srikantan

Post by munirao2001 »

Sachi Sir,
I am very happy that you brought the attention of rasikas to this impeccable quality Lec-Demo of Dr.T.S.S. Vidu. has internalised not only the musical quality and aesthetics of her revered Guru Dr.RKS, but also thoroughness in preparation for Lec-Demo and art of presentation with discipline and devotion from her Guru. Only thing Vidu.TSS has missed out his works and contribution to AIR in many productions of excellence besides Sangita Sikshana series.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Yes sir. For me Dr. RKS and Bangalore AIR Carnatic music are INSEPARABLE.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sachi,

R U attending SRLKM concerts?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

HNB, see you tomorrow 😀

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 522335.ece

writeup in The Hindu dated 10th Jan 2020.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sachi,
Can't think of anyone better than you to bring this delightfully inspiring presentation of Dr. Satyavathi to us. I am a big fan of hers as well. I had already seen this, thanks to a mutual friend. I have only heard her lec-dem live years ago at BTM when I fell in love with her scholarship and the charming clout with which she spoke.
So looking forward to her concert too and in meeting you pretty soon...

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Her enthusiasm for the topic and communication prowess in both English and Sanskrit came out so well!
She wasn't the least bit hesitant or nervous.
I have watched almost all of the presentations and most of the presentors were either nervous or struggling to communication here and there. But all of them did a really good effort with the lec-dems/presentations.

The other one that impressed me was the one for T L Jayarama Year violin maestro by his grand children - the content was excellently put together as a professional documentary and presentation was good as well. Except too much emphasis on the Vadya Vrinda segment - at the end I felt that Vadya Vrinda was the only take-away from the presentation. I wish to hear the Balahamsa vadya vrinda so much !!

Really saddened to see that for Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar - no audio is available for this great artiste. Can't believe that the music academy, family of VVI or his students - no one has a single recording of his rendition of anything.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Vid Satyavathi's Kannada is also flawless.....There was one on Diskhitar and another on HMB - Kannada / English / Sanskrit - OMG... while mortals like me are trying to be proficient in one including C, Java :) Her apt usage of words and phrases is a delight to hear.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Yes I have watched the Kannada programme lec dem by Vid. TSS.
Even though I don't understand Kannada - I was able to follow
She sang a beautiful Andolika varnam of HMB and also presented Sudhamayi in detail wonderfully in the post lec dem concert