Dr. T.S. Sathyavathi, SRLKM concert held at Gayana Samaja Bengaluru Jan 21, 2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
arasi

Dr. T.S. Sathyavathi, SRLKM concert held at Gayana Samaja Bengaluru Jan 21, 2020

Post by arasi »

Dr. T.S. Sathyavathi Vocal
H.M. Smitha Violin
K.U. Jayachandra Rao Mridangam
A.S.N Swamy Khanjira
Vocal Support: Shilpa Shashidhar

I was waiting for a more knowledgeable person to write a review on such a scholarly vidushi, but that isn't happening. So, let me share the pleasure of my experiencing an evening of classy music with others. Please do add more substance to my impressions, fellow-listeners who were there.
It so happened that in the past ten years or so, I haven't had a chance to listen to Dr. Satyvathi in a concert or in a lecture. When I did hear her long ago, I was struck by her erudition and clarity in expression.
I was just recovering from a nasty cold, but that didn't stop me from going to her concert after a gap of many years (pity the fact that I spend just weeks in India every year).

The List, though not complete:

Behind the curtains, strains of sAvEri were heard,
reminding us at once of RKS, her guru.

lambOdhara Sankarabharanam
GaNapathim bhajE, Gangadhara tanujam tODi R
ranganAyakam nAyaki MD R, S
bhajarE, bhaja mAnasa kannaDa R, S
harikatha SravaNa mADO rItigowLa
Main: Sri satyanArAyaNam Subha pantuvarALi MD R S N
tani
ramA ramaNa bhAramA vasantha bhairavi
RTP: suddha dhanyAsi Sri rAmam ravi kulAbdhi sOmam ASrayAmi
bhajorE bhaiyA kApi
…… nene manave hindOLam ??
Tillana
pavamAna
mangalam kOsalEndrAya
Last edited by arasi on 24 Jan 2020, 16:30, edited 2 times in total.

arasi

Re: Dr. T.S. Sathyavathi, SRLKM concert held at Gayana Samaja Bengaluru Jan 21, 2020

Post by arasi »

SankarAbharaNam already signaled the 'uzhudu pADum tanmai'--the 'plough deep'
mode of the school's singing. tODi followed with gAmbhIryam too.
The nidAnam in nAyaki was so very soothing. Emphasis on the upper notes and the mellowness of the lower notes were brought out so well. I have heard her guru sing ranganAyakam and how very truly reposeful RangA was in this exposition! The same feeling filled me as I heard it from his student.
HarikathA SravaNa mADO, brought back the same state of mind, thanks to her guru.

The main, Subha panthuvarAli became sukha Subha pantuvarALi. Here, her student Shilpa did an admirable job, continuing in her guru's footsteps. The contrast between their voices--one sonorous and emphatic, and the other, sweet and delicate made a fine meshing. She was encouraged by her guru to sing her heart out. The waves of notes they produced at Sri satyanArAyaNam surrounded us sweetly, a willing coming together of the learned and the still learning. And, what a neraval on Sathyavathi's part! Her vidvat did shine brightly in it as it pleased the listeners no end.

Smitha, though a young violinist, is fast establishing herself as a front runner. There is sweetness in her playing which goes well with vocalists of different styles and voices.

tani was very pleasing. I have heard Jayachandra Rao several times. His playing is always agreeable and seasoned. A.S.N.Swamy's khanjira was emphatic and was of lovely accord.

RTP was carefully crafted and pleased the listeners no end. However, we hadn't got out of the excellent 'satyanArAyaNa' experience and everything signaled sarvam Vishnu mayam--and the feeling lingered on for me to fully appreciate the carefully crafted RTP. Did I catch myself dozing off for a few fleeting moments too? Ah, mature years :(
I am happy I did hear Sathyavathi after many years. What a rich experience!
Last edited by arasi on 24 Jan 2020, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Re: Dr. T.S. Sathyavathi, SRLKM concert held at Gayana Samaja Bengaluru Jan 21, 2020

Post by Sachi_R »

Arasi,
It behoves a dedicated rasika like you to make the effort to attend and report on such rare concerts. Kudos!

I have some handicaps and so did not attend SRLKM festival concerts except for Amrutha's concert.

Dr. T. S. Satyavathi has immense vidwat. I heard that she underwent a throat-related procedure last year and now it seems she has bounced back strongly already!

Dr. T. S. S. is conducting a workshop on... hold your breath... The 72 Melaragamalika composition of Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan! The workshop runs to a few days duration and one can attend as a student and watch the videos repeatedly for about a month after. Details at shaale.com

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sachi,
I do hope you are doing much better.
Yes, missed several concerts in the long series which I so looked forward to :(

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi
It is nice to see a detailed review . I particularly love suddha dhanyasi in any form and any genre of music . Nice of vidushi sathyavati to take up suddha dhanyasi RTP . What you particularly said about vidushi HM Smita ,she is really establishing herself very well as front runner.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Vid. Sathyavathis lec dem on her Guru was superb in the Academy- content and presentation. SK designate Sowmya was all praise for the vidwat of Sathyavathi in music as well as Sanskrit. But her concerts are very rarely held in Chennai. I am longing for one. Thanks to Arasi madam for your scholarly review.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, crama. 'Scholarly?' Me? :)
Yes, I did hear her Academy presentation on the web as soon as it was out :)