Vid. P. Vasanth Kumar - veena 100.1FM Blr

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sachi_R

Vid. P. Vasanth Kumar - veena 100.1FM Blr

Post by Sachi_R »

@T.V.Gopalakrishnan T V G sir,

We heard a fantastic veena concert by Vid Vasanth Kumar on Blr radio this morning. I fervently hope you will upload a recording in Sangeethapriya

Among the items, he played Kalyani - Biranavara. Then a SUPERB Hindola and Samaganalole. The composer would have been thrilled. I would imagine on Vasant Panchami, DEVI Saraswati would have played like this. The song is my favourite and it came out all decked up like the Gold Medal winner in the Lalbagh Flower Show.

Then Taye Tripurasundari.

Sri. Vasanth Kumar is old school. He wants the veena to sound like a saraswati veena, stringed right and vibrant, with no guitar or mandolin effects. Of course as we have discussed a lot here, AIR does a great job of recording and broadcasting.

God bless.

rajeshnat

Re: Vid. P. Vasanth Kumar - veena 100.1FM Blr

Post by rajeshnat »

p vasanth kumar is son of late vidushi sulochana pattabhiraman and brother in law of N Murali of The Hindu. 3 years back i heard him play a wonderful o rangasayi in doordarshan . very authentic play.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

I have heard Vasanthkumar play and is indeed a traditionalist.... I did catch part of the kalyani and hindolam. These days many veena players play such that the veena sounds like a guitar :(

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

I noticed him in the Music academy lec-dems sessions recordings. He was quite actively participating and is on the experts committee.
In one of the lec-dems, the lady mentioned that the vidushi D Pattammal (on who the lec dem was on) - had created some new ragams all based on S G M D N S pattern under various melakarthas. And she pointed out S G M D N S under Natabhairavi and gave it a new name as well - then P Vasanth kumar pointed out that that raga is the popular Hindolam - how come a new ragam is created - the presenter was unable to answer.
He was also very unhappy because the earlier ragam Sallaappam in now being called as Soorya - given a new name and has become popular in cinema as well

He came across as a bit grumpy to me :D :D - just as a joke

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

I noticed him in the Music academy lec-dems sessions recordings. He was quite actively participating and is on the experts committee.
In one of the lec-dems, the lady mentioned that the vidushi D Pattammal (on who the lec dem was on) - had created some new ragams all based on S G M D N S pattern under various melakarthas. And she pointed out S G M D N S under Natabhairavi and gave it a new name as well - then P Vasanth kumar pointed out that that raga is the popular Hindolam - how come a new ragam is created?? - the presenter was unable to answer.
He was also very unhappy because the earlier ragam Sallaappam in now being called as Soorya - given a new name and has become popular in cinema as well

He came across as a bit grumpy to me :D :D - just as a joke