TM Krishna for Vazhoovarar arts and academy @ BVB 26th Jan

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Venkat Ramachandran

TM Krishna for Vazhoovarar arts and academy @ BVB 26th Jan

Post by Venkat Ramachandran »

Vid. RK Shriram Kumar
Vid. Thiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam
Vid. Vaikom Gopalakrishnan

1)Brief alapana of Yadukulakamboji followed by heccarikagA rArA - T
2)Alapana of Saveri - durusugaa krpa - SS
3)Alapana of Sama by RK Shriram Kumar followed by Krishna's alapana and manasa sancharare -Sadaashiva BrumhEndrar
4)Alapana of Dvijavanthi - Cheta sri balakrishnam - MD
5)Kalyani Tanam followed by pankaja lochana - ST
6)Thani

May be somebody can continue as i had to leave the concert as it was already 9, concert was to start at 7PM but started at 7:25, it was a stellar concert overall especially dvijavanthi and saveri.

SrinathK

Re: TM Krishna for Vazhoovarar arts and academy @ BVB 26th Jan

Post by SrinathK »

7) krishna nee bEganE bArO - yamuna kalyANi - Vyasaraya
8) kamalAsana vandita (nottuswaram) - shankarAbharanam - MD

In this concert the team tried a strategy of singing the raga of the previous song before smoothly transitioning to the next raga. This season I had heard Abhishek do this alapana transition for bhAvayAmi raghuramam.

durusuga and the scorching neraval reminiscent of TMK's old days, followed by the alapana in sAmA were superb. The transition to jujAvanti from sAmA in the alapana was novel to say the least. Chetashri was as good as it got.

Tani was good too. After a long time, I heard an eduppu shifting in the kuraippu (like 5x7 = 35 where it comes back to the original point after a set number of rounds). That plot device seems to have gone out of favour for a long time now. A simple korvai consisting of just one pattern in 3 speeds was refreshing after years of listening to all kinds of unfathomable mathematical time space warping complexities.

The nottuswaram was in shankarabharanam, not YK (I got fooled due to the transition alapana and did not know the piece, now clarified). It showcased some old prayogams. tanam before pankaja lOchana was also refreshing, I wonder why others don't do it more often.

He sounded like he had a sore throat, but he didn't let that get in the way. Vignesh Ishwar and Rithvik Raja were on stage and I didn't know who was on the tambura. TMK had some seriously good power in the upper reaches. Big standing ovation at the end.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good to hear all the above :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

SrinathK wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 10:54 In this concert the team tried a strategy of singing the raga of the previous song before smoothly transitioning to the next raga.
Yes. Unsure about how well it worked.

But during the early Saveri alap, he went back to Yadukula kambodhi a few times. And there was a single long stretch of Poorvi kalyani for about half a minute.. I hope I did not imagine this. Felt very weird.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

By the time I made it durusuga had just started

arasi

Post by arasi »

Had you come durusugA'--Sureshvv could have found out if he wasn't dreaming after all...:)