VijaySiva_LRamakrishnan_JV_VyasaVittala_GanaKalaParishat_NRColony_7thFeb2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
gardabha_gana

VijaySiva_LRamakrishnan_JV_VyasaVittala_GanaKalaParishat_NRColony_7thFeb2020

Post by gardabha_gana »

Vid. Vijay Siva
Vid. S.R. Vikneswaran - Vocal Support
Vid. Guruvayoor Narayanan - Vocal Support
Vid. L Ramakrishnan - Violin
Vid. J Vaidhyanathan - Mridangam
Vid. Vyasa Vittala - Khanjari

1. Sada Balaroopapi - Subramanya Bhujangam
Vandeham Jagadvallabham - Hamsadhwani - K Chapu
2. Sogasuga Mridanga - Sri Ranjani - Tisra Eka (N, S)
N @ Pallavi
3. Aparadhamula - Lathangi - Adi (R, N)
N @ VegaNannu Brova
4. Viswanatham Bhajeham Satatam - NataBharanam - Adi
5. Nannu Brova Lalitha - Lalitha - M Chapu (R, S)
6. Kandu Kandu Nee Enna - Mohanam - K Chapu
7. Kalyani (Slokam) followed by Sri Kamalambaya Param - Bhairavi - Misra Jhampai (R, N, S, T)
N @ Nadamaya Sookshma
8. Paal Ninai Thootum - Slokam (Mohanam, Ananda Bhairavi, Neelambari)
Kanamal Veenile - Neelambari
9. Speech by RKP
10. Pahi Pahi Jaganmohana Krishna - Nadanamakriya
11. Tirupugazh - Niramaya Purathana - Dhanyasi - Adi
12. Pavamana - Swasti Prajabhya - Saurashtram

A typical VS concert - weighty, no nonsense concert that I enjoyed every minute. Wish it were longer. Hearing the kamalamba nava varna krithi after exactly a decade (FHS 2010 by VS). It takes a musician of VS stature to do justice to this classic. Few months back my trip to Tiruvarur brought back memories of the majestic temple and the deity. And there was Nannu Brova Lalitha to boot! DKJ would have been proud of this concert, and extremely heartening to see SRV and GN provide vocal support. I enjoy LR accompaniment more and more with every concert of his. JV and VV provided superb support. An evening well spent - for a VS fan.
Last edited by gardabha_gana on 13 Feb 2020, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Re: VijaySiva_LRamakrishnan_JV_VyasaVittala_GanaKalaParishat_NRColony_7thFeb2020

Post by rshankar »

Lovely list indeed!
I am glad you got your wish to attend a concert of his. Pardon my ignorance, but who is RKP, and who are SRV and GN?
gardabha_gana wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 16:171. Sada Balaroopadi - Subramanya Bhujangam
It is sadA bAla rUpApi, right?.. If it is the invocatory verse on gaNESa in Adi Sanaka's subrahmaNya bhujangam, where the bhagavadpAda describes gaNESa as one with an eternally youthful form.

सदा बालरूपाऽपि विघ्नाद्रिहन्त्री
महादन्तिवक्त्राऽपि पञ्चास्यमान्या ।
विधीन्द्रादिमृग्या गणेशाभिधा मे
विधत्तां श्रियं काऽपि कल्याणमूर्तिः ||

sadA bAlarUpApi vighnAdri hantrI
mahAdanti vaktrApi pancAsya mAnyA |
vidhIndrAdi mRgyA gaNESAbhidhA mE
vidhattAm Sriyam kApi kalyANa mUrtihi ||

Sachi_R

Re: VijaySiva_LRamakrishnan_JV_VyasaVittala_GanaKalaParishat_NRColony_7thFeb2020

Post by Sachi_R »

Ravi
Vid. Dr.R.K.Padmanabha is the President of this MEGA conference with impeccable organisation over 15 days and multiple sessions each day and excellent food being served free to at least over a thousand attendees each meal (thrice a day).

The other abbreviations are from the accompanying singer's names.

Interestingly, the shloka you have cited is wonderful and teases one's knowledge of Samskrita. The form of Ganesha is referred as कल्याणमूर्तिः which is in feminine
gender and hence all epithets are also in स्त्रीलिङ्ग!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Gardhaba_Gana,
I recognized Vid. RKP easily since he is a well-known personality in Bengaluru. We all do abbreviate many names besides MMI, GNB et al, and are surprised when new to CM folks ask us 'what do they mean, what's CM? Still we find the two or three letters handy while the names are written over and over again in a review.
Thanks for the review. Was not far for me, and yet, couldn't make it :( I missed L. Ramakrishnan and JV combo as well...

Ravi,
I am glad you asked and Sachi (as always) came up with the answer. RKP is a well-known personality around here.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Why kalyana murthihi is feminine gender?
Isn't it same as Ramamurthy or Krishnamurthy?
Why can't male God's have kalyanam or mangalam attributed to them?

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

@Ravi, Sorry for the typo (balarupapi - thanks, corrected). Indeed the festival as @Sachi sir says is very well conducted and NR Colony folks make sure that the auditorium and also the pandal that they have with an LCD is full! Reminds me of my growing up days in Malleswaram - where such community involvement and support was the norm :)
@arasi m'am - are you still in Blr? Hope you are doing well. LR is becoming one my fav accompanists. Actually, he sings very well too - you can see him in the LecDem along with Amritha Murali on raga YK in MMA morning sessions (acronyms galore!) . Kanyakumari school has produced some fantastic violinists who raise the concerts to a different level - Embar Kannan, L Ramakrishnan, Vittal Rangan..... Exceptional indeed...

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

BTW - I don't consider the term "accompaniment" a pejorative.... These days they have become co-artists. Accompanying is an art, as challenging if not more than playing a solo..... A different conversation for sure.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Does anyone know if SR Vikneswaran sings solo too? I hope he does some day - comes across as the prominent disciple providing vocal support. The legacy of DKP/DKJ/VS should continue....

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sri. Harishankar sir,
Of course we treat Ramamurthy Krishnamurthy etc. as names of men in our languages.

In Samskrita, the word मूर्तिः is a feminine gender word (yes, in Samskrita every noun has a gender - even Road and pillar and river and land😀)
I will share the grammar bit screenshot below:

So you can see, by the rules of Samskrita grammar, being a क्तिन् कृदन्त, it is feminine. But I can say
गणेशः सुन्दरमूर्तिः - Ganesha has a beautiful form.
Other feminine words are भक्तिः, मतिः etc.
In this shloka, Adi Shankara has strung together all descriptors as adjectives to the last word in feminine gender. So all the declensions are in feminine gender.
Let us remember that Samskrita gives this extra dimension to play with in poetry, which doesn't apply to our languages like Kannada and Tamil.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Thank you Sachi_R
Very enlightening

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gardabha_gana wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:05 Does anyone know if SR Vikneswaran sings solo too? I hope he does some day - comes across as the prominent disciple providing vocal support. The legacy of DKP/DKJ/VS should continue....
There is/was a prominent N Harish(disciple of vijaysiva) whom i listened atleast 10 years back. He really sang well , bit difficult to spot him in the last 5 years or so.
Check Harish there are 3 reviews , 2 by me and 1 by Harishankar. Here is one of them
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7554&hilit=Harish

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sachi_R wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 23:09Interestingly, the shloka you have cited is wonderful and teases one's knowledge of Samskrita. The form of Ganesha is referred as कल्याणमूर्तिः which is in feminine
gender and hence all epithets are also in स्त्रीलिङ्ग!
Well spotted. This is well-appreciated by scholars....including the use of kApi (kA + api)....

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Yes, Ravi, I was in fact educated by one such scholar 😀