Sowmya @ Rathnagireeswarar temple, 18-02-'20

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sureshvv

Sowmya @ Rathnagireeswarar temple, 18-02-'20

Post by sureshvv »

Sangeetha Kalanidhi concert. Major Viswarupam.

Behag alapana as main

May even do neraval at pazhi ethanai naan seyyinum :)

Not today.

Idhu thaano thillai sthalam

Exquisite neraval @ pallavi line.

Gowri manohara @ #2 following alapana.

Started with Gam ganapathe & SIvasiva as filler.

1.5 hours went by in 15 minutes.

Post main:
1. Parvathy nayakaney
2. Himagiri tanaye
3. Kavadi chindu
4. Pathikku harathi
5. Pavamana

Accompanists
Embar Kannan
Tanjore Praveen Kumar
Last edited by sureshvv on 19 Feb 2020, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Re: Sowmya @ Rathnagireeswarar temple, 18-02-'20

Post by arasi »

Sureshvv,
Succinct review on SK Sowmya's concert, thanks.
Some more details, perchance?
A fine neraval it sounds like...

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

The review maybe succinct but is very confusing

Was Kalanidhi Chinna nadena the main item? Really?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

HarishankarK wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 02:24 The review maybe succinct but is very confusing

Was Kalanidhi Chinna nadena the main item? Really?
Have updated the post :D

What I meant to say that this concert was like taking the victory lap after being awarded the Sangeetha Kalanodhi. And it was clear that the award was more than well deserved.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 22:24
Some more details, perchance?
Sure. Why not? :D

Concert was slated for 6.30pm according to the papers but no one seemed to be in any big hurry. At 6.30, the artistes were in the sannidanam of Rathnagireeswara & Araalakesi. They disappeared for a bit and showed up closer to 7 and then got organized for the concert.

There were only 4 songs in the concert. Sowmya dazzles in so many different ways - she chose the simple aesthetic approach today.

Gam ganapathe was the opening invocation and included a brief swara section. Embar got to play long stretches in between, and it was like a 2 person orchestra.

A fairly detailed Gowrimanohari alapana followed. This was a bit unexpected - both in the choice of raga and level of detail in alapana. It was exquisite. The Sivan kriti that followed was the not commonly heard Gowri manohara. Neraval was at Sowrirajan paniyum (karnatik.com has it as "Gowri rajan paniyum" which appears wrong). It signaled that the concert was going to be special.

Thyagaraja's Siva siva was sung at a relaxed pace.

For ages I have been hoping for someone to sing Behag for the main item in a concert. This has evaded me for the longest time. I had even contemplated starting a seasonal thread called "Throwing down the gauntlet for artistes" here hoping that it may get picked up. Mostly it is featured post main. Although I have heard a substantive Smara janaka from Mahadevan Sankaranarayan in the early part of a concert and Sherthalai Ranganatha Sharma includes a wonderful albeit short alapana in the tukkada session.

So I almost fell off my broken chair when she started Behag alapana. It was extensive and showed its potential. I would have preferred Irakkam varaamal with neraval at the anupallavi or charanam. She decided to go with Idhu thaano thillai sthalam. Equally lilting. Neraval & swaras were comprehensive.
The Nis and the Mas were all crunched together and fell out like when opening a ripe pomegranate.
Tanjore Praveen Kumar shined along in the second speed portions.

There was a lengthy felicitation ceremony post main. It included an award with title for both Sowmya & Embar. Both spoke briefly about their long association with the temple and how personal the venue was for them. Sowmya gave props to the mada palli and the prasadam :D

The long presentation did not tire the artistes. The tukkada session was quite substantive and included a Kavadi Chindu. Another memorable concert from this venue that hosted Vijay Siva's most haunting neraval at Sarva jeeva dayakara almost a decade ago.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Smt. Sowmya is one musician who really likes to explore the roads less travelled. Ghanta, then pADi for RTP are just 2 of the recent cases.

BTW how is her voice? Compared to many years back it has been going through a rough phase of late.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

SrinathK wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 08:52 BTW how is her voice? Compared to many years back it has been going through a rough phase of late.
I may be biased ;) but like fine maple syrup it has only gotten better! She seemed totally at ease yesterday as her voice traversed a wide range.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

There is always something special in a Sowmya concert.... something I look forward to. That said, voice is a big gamble, her concerts in bangalore have been a problem at times - maybe it is the weather and blr being the allergy capital of the world. Hey - She sang a Padam on request :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Sureshvv,
Succinct started flowing slowly like mellow maple syrup, matching the sweetness of the concert.
I can feel behAg and idu tA~~nO~~ti~llai~~sthalam having a whirl with each other charmingly.
A special concert, no doubt. Thanks for sharing.
enna pADinAr is always there (list, please!) eppaDip PADinAr seems to be the key to this concert, it seems...

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Thank you sureshvv

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

I heard yday upto Gowri manohara and noted that she did struggled in upper registers especially in first song
Hopefully her voice was better as the concert progressed further

I love her idhu dhaano tillai
Need to listen 100%
But I find the meaning of the song hard to get

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

kAsiniyil idai kayilai enDrellOrum
pEsa kEttadE anRi pENA pArttariyEn
Dunno meaning of these lines

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Let me try:

காசினியில் இதை கயிலை என்று எல்லோரும்
பேசக் கேட்டதே அன்றி பேணிப் பார்த்தறிந்திலேன் (alt: பார்த்தறிந்திடும் )

Although I have heard that they refer to this place as Kailash even in Kasi I have not seen it myself.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Kaasini is not kasi. Kaasini means world.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

pallavi

IdudAnO tillaittalam
ittanai nAlum ariyEn.

caraNam 1

aduvO iduvO enDru alaindiDum pEyanai
gati taruvEn enDru kai kAtti azhaikkutu

caraNam 2

kAsiniyil idai kayilai enDrellOrum
pEsa kEttadE anRi pENip pArttarikilen.

(No more charanas)

viewtopic.php?t=7010

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

CRama wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 13:43 Kaasini is not kasi. Kaasini means world.
Thank you. I didn't even notice the ni. :oops:

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kAsini means the earth to be exact. Remember kAsini mEl mArIcan ODiya gadi toDarnda iLaippO, from EnpaLLikoNDIrayya? The question the kavirAyar asks is if rAma was tired after having chased after mArIca on the forrest/earth floor...

kAsini works beautifully with the dvitIyAkshara prAsa and the dIrgha vowel that precedes it for this caraNam
mAsillAda.....
dUsillAda....
mIsuramAm....
kAsini mEl....