Sri. Vija Siva at FAS, Mumbai on 16th Feb., 2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
arunsri

Sri. Vija Siva at FAS, Mumbai on 16th Feb., 2020

Post by arunsri »

Sri. N. Vijay Siva
Sri. R.K. Shriramkumar - Violin
Sri. Manoj siva - Mridangam
Sri. Anirudh Athreya - Kanjeera
Guruvayur Sri. Narayanan - Tambura and Vocal Support
Sri. S. R. Vigneshwaran - Tambura and Vocal Support

Venue: Fine Arts Society - Chembur, Mumbai

Theme of the Concert: A centeneray tribute to Smt. DKP

6:20 PM to 9:05 PM

Setlist
=====
1. paggavAri - hamsadhwani varnam - Adi - paTnam subrahmaNya iyEr
2. ninnuvinA marigaladA - ritigauLa - tishra gati Adi - shyAma sAstry (N, S at shyAma krishna)
3. ninnE nEra namminAnu - kAmavardhini - rUpakam - thyAgarAja (R, N at vEda shAstra)
4. EkkAlatillum - nATakuranji - tishra Eka (2) - rAmaswAmi sivan
5. ikOnamaswAmy - maNirangu - mishra chApu - purandaradAsa (R, S at pallavi)
6. mariyAda gAdayyA - bhairavam - Adi - thyAgarAja
7. kAshi vishwEshwara - kAmbhOji - khaNDa aTa - muthuswAmy dIkshitar (R, S at Pallavi), Kriti was preceded by a 2 stage Alapana and a viruttam - pAl ninaindUTTum
tani
8. RTP - tODi - mAmaramum nizhalum kuyilum unnai tozhuvadu idu nalla samayam - Adi (Laghu in Tishra gati and Dhrutam in khaNDa gati) - total 32 counts or 64 swaras if you were to sing swaras in normal 2nd speed. Pallavi 2 counts or 4 akshara after samam (like a a typical mishra chApu song). arudi - 5 counts at 'um' of the word kuyilum!

Pallavi was rendered in half and double speed keeping the same tALam
pallavi speed was kept same and tALa speed was halved and doubled (vilOma or pratilOmam)
swaras rendered in this mode where the number of swaras per beat were 3 3 3 3 | 5 5 | 5 5 (basically tALam was in double the speed) and now pallavi was in double speed. This laghu could be called tishra laghu - so the entire avartanam was having 32 swara count
Finally tALa was Adi (1 kalai) and the start was appropriately changed to have the arudi exactly as it was before. This had one avartanam rAgamAlika swaras in biLahari, suraTi, mukhAri, mOhanam and aTANa

9. idamtarum - viruttam in aTAnA, hamIr kalyANi and bhairavi

10. tondru nigazhnda - bhairavi - tishram - subrahmaNya bhArati
11. pUnkuyil koovum - h. kApi - Adi - kalki krishNamUrthy
12. jAnakinAtha - yaman kalyANi - bhajan of tuLasidAs
13. timira udita - mOhanam - tishragati Adi - aruNagirinAthar (sung in 2 speeds)
14. shAnti ahimsAmurtI - sindhubhairavi - Adi - mAyuram vishwanAtha sAstry

Highlights
=======
Adherence to the bANi
Classy kAmbhOji kriti - a very rare item sung as main
A tani in khaNDa aTa
Pallavi with all the 'pall' (teeth) in it, seamlessly executed.

Felt musically full after the concert

arasi

Re: Sri. Vija Siva at FAS, Mumbai on 16th Feb., 2020

Post by arasi »

Anusri,
"Pallavi with all the pal in it" :) Yes, I remember DKP singing it, and how refreshingly novel a Pallavi line it was in those old days! The scene that it conjured up with the mango tree, it shade and the sweet sound of the cuckoo conjured up magic to me, a youngster then! The line then, as I remember was; mA maramum nizhalum kuyilum, unnaith thudikka idu samayam--mA. May be, to display the complexity of tALa in a Pallavi (makes sense), it was modified?? Or, is it my memory that's playing tricks with the words?
What a list! What a typically DKP list!
Oh, thonRu nigazhndadanaithum would have been quite an equal to the 'pal' lavi line. I can also visualize the beaming face of DKP while she sang it :)

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Phew.... looks like a great one. Ig(k)o namma swami reminds me of DKP as do many on the list. Nice to see a major raga for the RTP. I have heard of but not heard kasi visweswara.... Lucky!

sankark

Post by sankark »

Wow - mubaivaasigal got a treat indeed! VS seems to have sung for 2h45m.

I think original thazhuva (love) has morphed into thozha/thudikka (bhakti). DKJ sings it as thozhuva :) in one recording I have heard.

arunsri - did VS sing it as thozhuvadu.(odd phrasing) or thozha (most apt)

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Excellant review. Pallavi tAlam "counts" beautifully explained. VS never disappoints his rasikas wherever he goes. With Sriramkumar and Manoj Siva, his enthu doubles.
Does he perform in Shanmugananda also ? If yes, I can expect one more nice review !!!
Is the Pallavi - Part of any song. on Which God ?

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

grsastrigal wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 12:54 Excellant review. Pallavi tAlam "counts" beautifully explained. VS never disappoints his rasikas wherever he goes. With Sriramkumar and Manoj Siva, his enthu doubles.
Does he perform in Shanmugananda also ? If yes, I can expect one more nice review !!!
VS has not performed in Shanmukhananda for the last 15 years, I have been in Mumbai, for the reasons BEST known to the Sabha and VS. You will not get certain good artistes in Shanmukhananda ever, while you will get certain mediocre ones two or three times a year.

That aside - what ails music sabhas and ALL ORGANISATIONS, in general:

When personal ego and lack of knowledge of the field rule the roost in institutions, such a scenario is inevitable.

People are at helm of affairs due to - money power, being a close relative or long time friend of some big shot, great craving to be in the limelight, or lived in the area long enough, big in some field (Not the field the institution is reputed for). No where does knowledge in the field, or interest to learn and do something good is ever a criteria. Educational institutes, sabhas, and most organisations go downhill (despite the best intentions while they were started) because of this.

For example, how does being a Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awardee in Sciences help you run a music Sabha, or conversely, being a good teacher in a subject mean that you can be a good administrator?

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

grsastrigal wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 12:54
I think this is on Kanchipuram Ekamranathar Temple or its ambience, I may be wrong.

VS sang it as unai tozhuvadu idu nalla...