P.U.Chinnapa's song "Aandarul Jagadamba" in the raga Kathana

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

One of the Rasika wants to know in which film P.U.Chinnappa sang the song "Aandarul Jagadamba" in Kathanakuthukam ragam

GS Mani sir talks about the late PU Chinnappa in the Kathanakuthukalam demonstration. He also sings a track viz,. Aandarul Jagadamba... in this ragam. Can you please, PLEASE let me know the film name and the song details? God bless you sir!!!!!!!!!.

Regards

S.NAGESWARAN.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I think the movie is 'Jagadala pradhaapan'. I have seen it over 65 years ago and vaguely remember this song.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
I was too young too to remember. A mere babe, ah! All I remember is this great big man in costume singing his heart out in the cinema hall like an opera singer.

CAUVERYSRINIVASAN

Post by CAUVERYSRINIVASAN »

I am 63 years old great fan of PU Chinnappa. Have nearly VCDs of his 8 movies ( Aryamala, Jagathalaprathapan, Kannagi, Mangayarkkarasi, Harischandra, Sudarsan, Uthamaputhran, Manonmani. In none of these movies this song comes. May be the song is in Kubera Kuchela .

CAUVERYSRINIVASAN

Post by CAUVERYSRINIVASAN »

Dear Members , Do any of you have VCD / DVD of PUC movies Rathnakumar, KrishnaBhakthi Vanasundari and Kuberakuchela . Woul;d you help a copy of that or address at where it can be had

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cauvery,
You bring back all the old movie names! Krishnabhakthi was released in 1949. Uttama puttiran came after that. That's my recollection.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

...and much earlier there was 'Aryamaala' which was shot again later as 'kaatthavaraayan' with Sivaji starring in place of PUC...

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Ah ! That brings fond old memories indeed ! P.U Chinnappa, though quite short with no neck (!), was a famous actor/singer competitor for MKT. I do remember his bronze voice in "ChandrOdayam IdilE" in KaNNagi, kAdal kanirasamE (in Chiththaranjani raga) in mangayarkkarasi, the unforgettable trick shot in JagadalaprathApan wherein he sings and also plays several instruments simultaneously "namakkini bayamEdu" in kalyANI raga, nadayalankAram in karaharapriya ( what movie ?) and of course his kathAkAlakshEpam in Krishna Bhakthi "Sengamalm enRa dAsi". I did not know that these oldies are available in VCD/DVD formats now. Perhaps the next time I am in India , I will try to get some of these.
Last edited by Sundara Rajan on 07 Oct 2009, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

naDayalankaram was in Kubers kuchela...

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

CMLover: Is Nadai Alankaram Kanden in KARAHARAPRIYA--my favorite is the kalakshepam in Krishna Bhakthi--also did he not sing in hemavathi a song in one of the movies or am I confusing it with the song Silaye nee ennudan Pesavallayo in Vachaspathi?Or is this hemavathi?
PUC fans please help!!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:my favorite is the kalakshepam in Krishna Bhakthi!!
Sri RMK - here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTn99AEAjY; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdmhdnfV ... re=related

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Yes, NadaialankAram is in Karaharapriya.
Thank you rshankar for the lead to the site. I did not realise that the kAlakshEpam was that long ! One thing lead to the other and I could also see many oldies as MMD's NamdanAr etc. taking me back to my college days, when movies were full of Carnatic music, many composed by pApanAam Sivan. Present day film music smut will not stand the test of time as the oldies do.
Last edited by Sundara Rajan on 07 Oct 2009, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sundara Rajan,
While most of the songs are, well, not worth it, :) we cannot dismiss them totally. There are still some melodic ones. I have no idea what the proportion of good to bad or bad to good is, but what I hear which I find on the forum are pretty good. I think ragam-talam recently posted one which I liked very much. snEhidiyE, snEhidiyE! a lilting tune...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I will heartily put down all of the present-day Tamil songs. But not the malayalam ones (at least quite a few). I think same is true of Kannada movie songs!

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I do agree, Arasi, there ARE exceptions. Some recent (10-20 yrs., that is recent for me) movie music has good tunes, some even Carnatic based, but the lyrics of even SOME of those make no sense or are filthy. The producers and directors blame it on the listeners' taste! If you keep feeding drugs to some one, of course he will ask for more! It is an unfortunate cycle. Being old in age, I am perhaps old fashioned too!

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,

Copirights for many of the old Tamil films are with COLUMBIA VIDEO FILMS and available with
Golden Video Films [MALAYSIA] SDN.BHD.
Show room at 2114 & 2214,
Malayan Mansion,
Jalan Masjid India,
50100, KUALA LUMPUR.
Tele No. 803 2698 0168 / 2692 7519.
FAX. 603 2694 3629.
WEB; columbiafilm.com

Singapore Agent. Ragam video & colour PTE.LTD,
84 & 124, Serangoon Road,
Singapore - 218029
TELE No.2915 760
FAX. 2980 081.

The above details are available in the beginning of the film"

JayBee

Post by JayBee »

A most unforgettable song is -
saarasam...
vaseegara kaNkaL seertharum
mukam chandra bimbham
that is in krishna bhakthi
an attakaasamaana paattu.

aanandha ruupiNiyE in aaryamaalaa

he has given his own rendition of Bharathi's 'senthamiz naadennum podhinilE' in uththama puththiran.

kaadhal kaniraSamE

kaNNilE viLaiyaadum
inba kaadhal kanave vaa - this was with
TR Rajakumari

new1

Post by new1 »

The song 'Keli miga seival' from Rathnakumar, something I came across recently is a gem. He effortlessly scales not just octaves, but various emotions like happiness, playfulness, despair, love, grief etc., the long song goes through.

Unfair to compare but even great singers like Mohd Rafi or TMS or even Ghantasala sometimes sound either 'overacting' or faked at times singing emotional stuff, not this man...at least not in this song..
Last edited by new1 on 24 Dec 2009, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

ajaysimha

Re: P.U.Chinnapa's song

Post by ajaysimha »

JayBee wrote: 24 Dec 2009, 15:42
kaadhal kaniraSamE
Im very captivated by the lyrical and musical beauty of the song Kadal kanirasame

Can anyone on the forum please post the lyrics of this song?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

ajaysimha wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 23:30
JayBee wrote: 24 Dec 2009, 15:42
kaadhal kaniraSamE
Im very captivated by the lyrical and musical beauty of the song Kadal kanirasame

Can anyone on the forum please post the lyrics of this song?

I could decipher the first four lines. And that was a tough exercise !

kAdal kani rasamE santatam kalAvati madiyE sarasa
mOha vashIkara mOhana rANI
bOga cAra gnAna vANI
ika para sukham yAvum nalgum vadanI

Hope others would be able to write the remaining lines.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

Thanks Bala,
Even i tried to give a try on scrbing the lyrics

P
kadal kanirasame santatam
kalavathi madile sarasa

AP
mohavathi kara mohana rani
boga sara jnana vani

C