'Reverse 20-20' themed pallavi by Kunnakudi BMK for Pallavi Darbar 2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Jigyaasa

'Reverse 20-20' themed pallavi by Kunnakudi BMK for Pallavi Darbar 2020

Post by Jigyaasa »

I really liked the concept for this pallavi: https://www.facebook.com/balamurali.kri ... 6659350701

He explains it here: https://www.facebook.com/balamurali.kri ... 4391944011

The rAghava-yAdavIyam (https://www.sadagopan.org/pdfuploads/Ra ... veeyam.pdf) is a very interesting poetic work and kOkilavarALi is a shimmering beauty of a rAga. To combine these two points of inspiration with several others as enumerated in the video is a lovely demonstration of how intellectually stimulating, yet spiritually engaging an art form Carnatic music is.

rajeshnat

Re: 'Reverse 20-20' themed pallavi by Kunnakudi BMK for Pallavi Darbar 2020

Post by rajeshnat »

Well done KBMK . The overall concept was great .I would have liked the pallavi in full, your voice potential and ideas could have been better showcased , I am okay with few misses here and there if at all that comes out of presentation of whole . I particularly liked the spread of change of ragas in neraval and swaras with the anchor being the rare KOkilavarALi is great. Bit dense in swaras , this has to do with my slight lapse of my concentration due to lack of accompaniment possibly not contributing.

For all future rasikas who may hear quickly get the explanation and then go to pallavi . That makes sense . Thank you jigyaasa

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I found it difficult to understand the 20-20 Taala, other than just that the details of the second half will be a backward return of the first half. I would appreciate it if anyone could help explain it.. I did only watch it once.. But I have a feeling I won’t really follow without a little more detail. It was a very nice exploration of the concept of interval reversal among ragas. The Raghava-Yadaveeyam’s reversal feature was mind-blowing!

I had set this aside for viewing later and got around to it today. I have to listen to the stp again. For me, this curtain-raiser or teaser was enough for now - to grapple with! I guess the one to come will be very grand.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Ranganayaki wrote: 26 Apr 2020, 04:05 I found it difficult to understand the 20-20 Taala, other than just that the details of the second half will be a backward return of the first half. I would appreciate it if anyone could help explain it.. I did only watch it once.. But I have a feeling I won’t really follow without a little more detail.
The way I've understood it is:

tap-flip; tap tap-flip; tap tap tap-flip; tap tap tap tap-flip
tap tap tap tap-flip; tap tap tap-flip; tap tap-flip; tap-flip

I marked the bold "tap" where the sAhitya line of the pallavi starts.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thank you 🙂, Jigyaasa, will listen again with this info. But your count doesn’t reach 20, it’s only 14-14. Why is it called 20-20 then? But yes, I’m asking after just reading! I’m yet to listen with your info.

Is each non-flip tap considered an anudhrutam? Are the rest dhrutams? Sorry if my questions are ignorant.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Ranganayaki wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 07:17 Thank you 🙂, Jigyaasa, will listen again with this info. But your count doesn’t reach 20, it’s only 14-14.
Good catch, Ranganayaki, Just needed to add the next logical progression in the pattern, now it's 14 + another 6, so 20.

tap-flip; tap tap-flip; tap tap tap-flip; tap tap tap tap-flip; tap tap tap tap tap-flip
tap tap tap tap tap-flip; tap tap tap tap-flip; tap tap tap-flip; tap tap-flip; tap-flip

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thank you!!