Article in TOI comparing Carnatic and Hindustani

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ramac

Article in TOI comparing Carnatic and Hindustani

Post by ramac »

Someone forwarded this old article on Whatsapp and I found it problematic on several dimensions.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/blo ... n-the-ear/
Right at the outset, bias and ignorance is obvious. "Northern style allows for voice to develop better; complex Carnatic music can take a toll if singing is overdone. Hindustani music remains the touchstone for voice culture. The typical Hindustani musician has an exceptionally close adherence to sruti. His or her manner of rendering is more pleasant to the ear, typically. The Hindustani musicians wow audiences here with their ease of singing, gliding through the octaves."
I wonder if a counter argument was published by someone knowledgeable in both schools [there are plenty of Carnatic musicians who are]. It will be awesome if accomplished writers and knowledgeable folks in this group can publish a piece that portrays nuanced understandings of our music-in popular newspapers. I do read Sruti magazine and love it.

shankarank

Re: Article in TOI comparing Carnatic and Hindustani

Post by shankarank »

That was discussed eons back for eons here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26663 :D

ramac

Post by ramac »

Thank you for the reply and link. "I wonder if a counter argument was published by someone knowledgeable in both schools..." I didn't think I sounded funny...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Why not join the 2015 thread and join in the conversation already there? We don't mind old threads being reopened if someone has something useful to add. Better than starting another one.

Perhaps the moderators will choose to merge anyway.

ramac

Post by ramac »

Nick H thank you good idea