coudl we Pay per download good quality music anywhere?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ganesh_mourthy

coudl we Pay per download good quality music anywhere?

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

For most of us in this Rasikas, our time has moved from Gramaphone plates ( that is not me ) , to LP , to CD to MP3 online playlists .

LP made us feel ownership of it and even if it the tape repeatedly got stuck , we could roll it with a pencil . . Then came the CD's where a slight confusion started as the song could be mp3, wav, and all those stuffs, wondering about the compatibility of player , file type, , the player version, the cd player .... The repsitory grew , but we were left unsure.

Then came the time , just recently , where we started saving them in computer folders and hard disk. It was an abstract concept and I was feeling uneasy already. LP was something tactile and I was super happy actually.

But now we have the playlist in saavn , apple music, gaana, raaga and you name it . We could save it , but it is gone once the subscription expires or for whatever reason the service provider disappears. By then our playlist might have grown bigger and bigger and we cannot redo everything.

I download the music as MP3 from youtube , but the youtube music is always of inferior quality. Is there a way we can have a folder full of our collections downloaded from any of the above gaanaa or raagaa in high quality , to have it separately in a pen driver. ?

Any idea ?

Thanks
gm

Nick H

Re: coudl we Pay per download good quality music anywhere?

Post by Nick H »

First, I think you got LPs mixed in with cassettes. Cassettes are an important part of music history, due to the amount of self-recorded music in that format, often of poor audio quality, but none-the-less important to historians.

Second, IMHO, there is quite a lot of music on youtube that is good quality. Great live recordings (with video) have been made by Parivadini, Arkay, and others in recent years. But if you are after something less recent than recent, you might not be so lucky.

Terms of Service... We are not really supposed to download and keep audio or video from Youtube. I'm not familiar with the streaming services, but if they do not provide a means then you might find it is against their TOS too. But can you do it? Yes, of course. Just as there are means to download from youtube, there are means to simultaneously record any audio that your PC is playing. Mac/Windows people must advise: I only know how to do it on my Linux system.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

youtube TOS is like safeguarding an online picture with copyright. It could be easily grabbed as screen shot and not an issue if you are just going to gaze at it . :lol:

Screen audio record may not have the same quality . The songs are decently curated in such streaming sights and they sound pretty impressive in a good speaker. The youtube thingies are not great , as they sound the same both in low end speakers as well as sophisticated speakers. It is a compressed music .

Still waiting to hear from someone.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It's all compressed. Worst is facebook. Sounds like old, bad, low-bit-rate mp3, yet people are using to stream concerts. Really, Youtube is much better. The sound quality is linked to the video quality: even if you are not interested in the visuals, watch at 720p.
Screen audio record may not have the same quality
It will have exactly the same quality as whatever you are listening too. You are capturing the same stream. I used to collect BBC radio plays and stuff. I have still a couple of regulars for planes and trains.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Nick H wrote: 31 May 2020, 20:48 It will have exactly the same quality as whatever you are listening too. You are capturing the same stream. I used to collect BBC radio plays and stuff. I have still a couple of regulars for planes and trains.
Ah really ?!!! Then I shall try the quicktime player of mac that has an audio capture I think . Let me give a try . I never knew that increasing the quality of the video will also increase the quality of audio in youtube. Missed this discernment.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Did you see this one? I recently fumbled on it : https://player.sraavyam.com/home

I see some Dallas concerts too. Some songs are $1 - others Album purchase required - and TOS indicates download is OK.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

That link does not seem to open .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I just clicked on it and could see it list. Not sure if there is a DNS issue out of region?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

I think this could be region limited

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Non-stop Indian Classical Music brought to you be Sanjeev Venkataramanan, Sikkil Gurucharan and Patri Satishkumar.
is what the description below the title says. So it is operated by the musicians.