High time to discuss Music Season 2020

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
hnbhagavan

High time to discuss Music Season 2020

Post by hnbhagavan »

Most the Music Season 2020 cannot be held live with audience.Perhaps a virtual method by WEBCAST can be conducted.
But the number of people willing to pay for this will be very limited.The sponsors also may be limited due to COVID-19 effect.
In our own interest and interest of Music,Musicians the Webcast method on payment should be way forward.
Though the fanfare associated with actual Live in concert is a totally different experience for both Music Lovers and Musicians.The attraction of meeting Well dressed people and also aroma of Canteen food will be sorely missed.
Though Social distancing can be enforced,it will be difficult to contain crowd especially for some stars.
The Income also has decreased or almost nil from concerts this year.So many persons dependent on such income will be finding it difficult to pass through this crisis.
Eagerly looking forward to your views.

ramamatya

Re: High time to discuss Music Season 2020

Post by ramamatya »

By May/June, artists get to know their concert dates and slots at the various sabhas. Yeah, I guess its possible to know which sabhas are hosting concerts, if at all.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Excuse the pessimism, not that I'm the only one by a long way...

Even if this virus has receded, it remains to be seen what airlines have survived and how much they are charging. I fear that, even if live events happen, 2020 is unlikely to be an international gathering of music lovers.

This is depressing enough. I'm not really able to cope with thinking about the future effect on the sabhas and our (Chennai) concert lives. :( :( :(

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Should singers wear masks and sing? When a singer sings into the same mic in a sabha, wondering if the mic will have microbes.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Good points. Never thought of this before, but I'm sure that microphones are a hotbed of the germs from people who have sung into them. More singing, unless in swallowing-the-mic style, is probably safe. Touching the mic, and then touching the face would probably be very unsafe. Probably always was one of the ways artists shared germs.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

You can BYOM

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Good idea: I'll do that in all my concerts ;)

(actually, I used to... in my humble morsing days, but because I used one that didn't get in the way of my hand.)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Music patronage happens only because it is around the corner! Else there is no urge or will to seek it out.

Otherwise the following would be possible:

Sabhas need to come up with ways to create an ambience and culture of listening with limited audience. Rely on donations/sponshorships. Have invited audience and include those who can provide proof of many years of attendance, and committed members - if indeed there is a clamor for the star performers that is. All seated well apart.

They can also consider going into open areas on outskirts for a change, if closed auditorium is considered risky. There should be some rich landlords connected with music? Transport the older seasoned rasikas!

And then do web stream for the rest - paid service. Vidvans can spread apart in the stage with a glass shield enclosure arranged on separated stage-pods.

Well this is if only things seem mostly normal elsewhere in the city. If Not then, No!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

This year SK?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Yes international travel will not resume in time for this year's season. Looking at 'the curve' in India it seems very unlikely that concerts will be able to take place. There is so much music available online that I doubt free many people will contribute to pay for online streams of concerts.

I feel for the many musicians who's source of income has diminished. Musicians who perform for dance must be in a worse position as they are unable to travel for arengetram tours, etc.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

It was interesting to find out how the dance troupe artistes packed their engagements, in a near family event. Week after week they are hosted for an entire week by the hosting family in apartments via Air-BNB! The girls get to practice and rehearse directly with them for a week. It was festive!

Like performing musicians, many times they get shunted across two ends of the country and had a full booking thru Summer into fall during the arangetram season.

Oh well! this will all resume I am sure, when all this passes. I saw two cancelled invitations right this year.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The season should be conducted as webrelay with tickets so that all the musicians ,rasikas and organisers continue the good work.Musicians can sing in the halls with a small invited members and webcast.All the titles and honor should be awarded as usual.Ofcourse the worry is sponsorship of concerts which will any way take a hit even in case of live in concerts.
Hope there will still be some sponsors,But the marriage atmosphere of dress,canteen and overseas people thronging Woodland etc will sorely be missed.The canteen contractors are also badly hit.
Hope organisers take a call.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Looking realistically,
For most artist performances , rasikas are usually maintaining a lot of social distance. That is indeed not a problem . I think the biggest problem is rasikas who have been organically cultivating a taste for roughly hundred plus years through their families/friends have to condition them to hear this great carnatic music without much social friends and family. I was just seeing a whatsapp meme which roughly said It is 100 days that this movie ran in all theatres in world ,the movie name is Corona . The biggest threat is the resurrection where the habit of rasikas going to where the art is performed has to happen even if Corona fades significantly.

I am assuming after November 03rd US elections , corona impulsive news will subside significantly. From Nov 04th , we will be ok. Despite this virus being the most deadly one , the biggest contagion of corona is Media . I think from Nov 04 to Dec first week, the preparations will take place, resilience of Chennai organizers is very very high . The NRI crowd especially from USA is the critical crowd for margazhi, hope they make it.

Looking Optimistically,
Margazhi season will be there with reduced extravaganza , reduced concert counts and reduced rasikas . But the show will be surely on , chennai will not succumb to corona.

Best wishes for all great vidwans and vidushis who are looking at this post to have a great margazhi concert season 2020 .

RSR

Post by RSR »

1) In the first place, Covid spread by air-travel. Probably from China or Europe. into USA
2) Though, the recovery rate is quite good ( especially in Tamilnadu - about 50 % and morttality rate is quite low compared to other prosperous western nations, the arrival of viisitors will create a fresh wave in Chennai.
3) As we know, elderly people ( age more than 60) are very highly prone to covid attack. and mortality rate also is high for them.
4) What is worse, there are people already infected without any symptoms like fever, cough, breathing trouble and such. They are known as silent carriers. Only after testing, one can know if covid has already affected a person though outwardly, the person may not feel or show symptoms.
Yesterday's report says that the USA has more than 2 million known ( tested ) cases but the official says that the actual number could be ten times more. ( 20 million - and atleast 5% of the population of the country.
India is reeling under economic, military,, social, environmental and epidemic problems.
Under the circumstances, it is best to be realistic and forego the music season 2020.
Explore the technology for live streaming of audio / video for a fee.
It may as well become the only safe and viable option.

Considering all these factors,

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

shankarank wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 04:43Sabhas need to come up with ways to create an ambience and culture of listening with limited audience. Rely on donations/sponshorships. Have invited audience and include those who can provide proof of many years of attendance, and committed members - if indeed there is a clamor for the star performers that is. All seated well apart.
What do you think sabhas rely on now and through the past years/decades? Donations/sponsorships. Do the people who have been attending for many years now have to prove it and get invited? Corona aside, it is growing audiences that has been our concern, not limiting them.
They can also consider going into open areas on outskirts for a change, if closed auditorium is considered risky. There should be some rich landlords connected with music? Transport the older seasoned rasikas!
This is a nice idea, but yes, we do like our concerts to be just around the corner. The only reason that I see members of the Mylapore crowd in T Nagar is that they (like me!) have particular artists that they (we) follow even outside our usual "territories." Perhaps we are a conservative bunch of people; perhaps we are even a bit tribal, but for sure the practicalities of increasing traffic mean that the extra few Km from Mylapore to T Nagar (West Mambalam: incrementally worse!) can, for Southerners, almost double the travel time.
And then do web stream for the rest - paid service. Vidvans can spread apart in the stage with a glass shield enclosure arranged on separated stage-pods.
Last season, I think I paid for one concert. Of course, we Chennai crowd are used to a whole year of free concerts too. Maybe we have to reconsider our attitudes to financially contributing to the music that we see. Maybe many can, many can't, afford to.

Speaking just for me, I spend 11 months a year attending concerts with the primary purpose of experiencing music, but with the attached social life coming a close second. Music is not only important in itself, it is my overwhelmingly main way of meeting and engaging with other people. In December, sure, I attend more concerts than any other single month, but I also spend many more hours sitting around in places such as the MA, talking to friends old and new. The ordinary concerts of the year cannot be replaced by streaming (else I would be watching Parivadini and Arkay instead of driving there and back); the season, without face-to-face interaction is inconceivable.

@rajeshnat I don't see much reality in your hopes for December.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Nick H wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 15:58 but for sure the practicalities of increasing traffic mean that the extra few Km from Mylapore to T Nagar (West Mambalam: incrementally worse!) can, for Southerners, almost double the travel time.
Well you triggered some old memories there. The reverse route used to be a work day commute for me for a while! Biking(motor) through the narrow subway and cows in early 90s. For many residents who left from there, a trip back and walk thru Ranganathan street is homecoming experience.

WM even takes it closer. I used to live next to one "The Hindu" retired employee - when it was Mount road Mahavishnu , not the Mount Road Mao now, who didn't talk about GNB and MMI, rather Dr Pinakapani and Prof. Sambamurthy! After his passing away, his sons put his modest flat for sale and I own it now.

Given that the curators have stolen our music in to their curated spaces, I thought we could steal some of their tricks and give sabha goers a new curative experience ;) :lol: . All if situation permits!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

So... you're West-Mambalese? :D
thanjavooran wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 06:21 This year SK?
Lost in cloud of contagion and quarantine. This year we are all more interested in staying alive!

But someone should start a thread, before it's too late: I guess the committee must be close to its usual unanimous decision. Not much time left to fight among ourselves :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Virtual kalanidhi, virtually decided , and virtually awarded , will zoom to virtual popularity :lol:

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

VVS, Guruvayur and THV lost their chances.

Purist

Post by Purist »

shankarank wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 20:17 Virtual kalanidhi, virtually decided , and virtually awarded , will zoom to virtual popularity :lol:
Classic :lol: :lol:

Purist

Post by Purist »

shankarank wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 20:17 Virtual kalanidhi, virtually decided , and virtually awarded , will zoom to virtual popularity :lol:

Purist

Post by Purist »

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

May be the venue can be P.S.High School grounds (once again) :D

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Purist wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 20:28
And awarded only to the virtuous? :roll:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

You could add - "in the virtualized world of virtual rasikas!" to the end of that! :lol:

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Twitter rumors - Prince Rama Varma is being considered for Sangitha Kalanidhi this year!

mohan

Post by mohan »

MaheshS wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 21:09 Twitter rumors - Prince Rama Varma is being considered for Sangitha Kalanidhi this year!
Really? He hardly is even a regular performer at the Academy!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

May be Acharya. He conducts many classes & workshops.

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

Is it true that the academy has announced that the music season this year will be completely online ? There’s supposedly a FB post by Mr Ramnarayan (Sruti) that’s doing the rounds on many group.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Think that was authored before the Corona virus invasion.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

gajaa wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 20:42 a FB post by Mr Ramnarayan (Sruti) that’s doing the rounds on many group.
I don't think Mr Ramnarayan has been of Sruti for over a year now.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Music Academy has announced all the scheduled Music Programs are postponed due to Corona Virus situation.
If i recall in 2019 Season program was announced in April itself.
This year as the Corona Virus continues to haunt it is unlikely Music Academy or any sabha can afford Live programs.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The scrolling banner on their site reads
Academy programmes postponed – In view of the Coronavirus pandemic raging across the world and India and the extremely fluid situation thereof, the Music Academy, Madras has decided to postpone till further notice all concerts and programmes originally scheduled – Academy programmes postponed.
We assume that that includes December/January season, right?

This is no less than I expected.

I wonder if they will announce awards, hold them over until next year, or what?

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

What was originally scheduled by the Academy?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Not known. Their site still says "Schedule for 2020 will be announced soon." --- Link

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Last season the schedule was put out in April itself.Holding the Music festival in 2020 looks very doubtful unless it is held virtually.Tickets must be sold for online webcast.The mindset of the management,Rasikas and sponsors must change and take a liberal look at Virtual events.The hustle bustle of people moving with great attire and of course the biggest attraction canteen will sorely be missed.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think that season without being there is not the season. If, gods forbid, this goes on for more than one year, people may adapt to online. They may watch online anyway, but I don't think they are going to think "yea! Chennai Season! Gather around the screen!" Are those sabhas that present fifty to a hundred or more concerts over those weeks going to do that for streaming? Will the sponsors sponsor?

It's not just us of course, theatre and music performances and festivals are threatened the world over. Don't think it is going to be a priority for governments funding. :(

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Nick H
Agree.the season is not season without live articipation.However much people criticize the season they will realise what they will be missing if it s not held this time.But the Social distance and masking will be there.Hence they have to limit the seats like in Airplanes and buses.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

They can ticket day time concerts also since seating will have to be limited.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

If day time concerts are ticketed Social distancing may be automatic.Even evening slots except a couple of concerts say Sanjay and RaGa other concerts Social distancing is automatically maintained.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

1.30pm concerts get pretty full - especially last week of December. Morning lec dems have people standing most days.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Senior citizens who form the chunk of audience for carnatic music might not prefer to venture out due to Covid restrictions likely to continue till year end.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think so too. Don't want Chennai Music Season causes new Covid-19 spike headlines, and absolutely don't want to be a part of such a headline.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Team
We rasikas.org are the one market place and we fairly represent most consumers of carnatic music. With academy deciding usually most sabhas will follow . I know for sure significant count of sabhas operate independently and will say why should we be in line with academy . Academy deciding is not the mantra for other sabhas to follow.

As such in few whatsapp posts that I share with friends I am sharing same sentiment or my own intuition here. I think likely corona death will exactly happen on November 03rd , 2020 . That date is us president election. Post that all of a sudden vaccine, cases being low , they are not fatal will be headlines than rather excess negativity of odometer curve, no icu beds ,spiking cases etc which is the headlines right now.

Also most of December concerts with most of artists social distance is usually the case as attendance is poor as there are too many concerts . Sabhas have to.make stage bit wider so that all artists maintain social distance. The rasikas who are coming in as say spouses or parent child should maintain social distance more a process and communication issue.

This music season being held or not is sub judice right now . We are all like two umpires looking at the sky when covers are on definitely not knowing if the match is on and when rain will stop. On November 10th we will take a final decision.

The December season must go on with reduced count of concerts is my sincere wish and prayer till November 03rd.

@Nick you are our Dickie Bird :ugeek: , look at the clouds every week once or twice till November 03rd and you can lead the discussion every day .But you will decide only on November 10th. :!:
Last edited by rajeshnat on 25 Jul 2020, 06:07, edited 3 times in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat, kindly remove my second name. Even though I am not exactly anonymous, and even though you have got it wrong, I do not choose to use it on the internet. Please respect my preference.
Academy deciding is not the mantra for other sabhas to follow.
Indeed. They all have their own financial situations, for one thing.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rajeshnat wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:51 That date is us president election. Post that all of a sudden vaccine, cases being low , they are not fatal will be headlines than rather excess negativity of odometer curve, no icu beds ,spiking cases etc which is the headlines right now.
I really hope you are right for the sake of having a Chennai Music Season.

I really hope you are wrong because if it were true that would be the biggest indictment of a "free press" that we think we have here and else where.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Puh-leese.

Is he saying the world is not experiencing a real pandemic and the numbers are fake? What about my cousin who was diagnosed - this week - and couldn’t get an ICU bed for a while ( India)? That didn’t actually happen?What about the fact that her family has contracted it, husband and daughter?

All that fake?

A very misguided post. And there are far more important and impactful things to wait for Nov 4 th for than just a silly music season.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

@Rajeshnat was being satirical! People missed it! :D

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nick
I have reedited removing your last name.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranganayaki
It is bad yes I have same anecdotes in my family like yours. Shankarank got it right I was satirical. In any case I always would like to have the decision delayed as late as possible. The show can just go on and it should not be cancelled as of now. If things are worse then we can cancel on november. Roughly 100 more days to decide for a "come what may come " nearly 100 year chennai margazhi festival.