Carnatic Music Cassettes GIVE AWAY

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

With advancing age ( I turned 87 two months ago ) and declining health, in preparation for my ultimate journey, I have begun to downsize my worldly possessions, including my music collection.
I would like to GIVE AWAY FREE all of my collection of about 1,200 CASSETTE tapes of vocal concerts of 1950s to 2010s- Ariyakkudi to Malladi, NCV to R&G, AND instrumental music of TNR to Injikkudi and Mali to Shasank, as well as several devotional music and Upanyasams (Discourses in Tamil) with wooden storage cum display cabinet to any interested carnatic music rasika. To the person who takes these tapes I will also give FREE my SONY surround music system with tuner, dual cassette recorder/player, 5 CD player and 5 speakers.
I live in Winter Springs, a suburb of Orlando, Florida. If interested, please contact me. Prof. Sundara Rajan srajan33@hotmail.com

Nick H

Re: Carnatic Music Cassettes GIVE AWAY

Post by Nick H »

Sir, I think I met you at MA, one season just a few years ago. Could not imagine that you would have been in your eighties!

May you live long, but I do hope your music collections finds a worthy home.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Thank you, Nick. Yes, we did meet at the Academy for Sangeetha KalAnidhi Vedavalli's inaugural function concert. My niece and I also had the pleasure of the company of a few fellow rasikas including you enjoying the hospitality of Mr. Nageswaran for a luncheon meeting at his house when Ramesh (MKR) gave us a demonstration of GNB's bANi. Nageswaran and MKR are no more. Time and tide wait for no man. Fond memories indeed !

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I too have cartons of cassettes to give away free to anyone who wants them. I live in Kitchener, ON. Canada. Please contact me: luzchurch@gmail.com

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sundara Rajan, That is quite a generous offer. I have passed on your info to a contact in Florida. In case they are interested, they will be in touch with you. Thank you

hydkarthik

Post by hydkarthik »

If those casettes are digitized and shared to music lovers through Sangeethapriya or any other group, it would be wonderful

Rengarajan

Post by Rengarajan »

It is possible that most of us have the same recordings of old masters. If some institution collects and hand it over to somebody to choose the best among the recording of the same concert and arrange for digitising the same it will be a treasure for future rasikas and students. I also do not know what to do with cassettes , some of them have not been digitised. Getting a recorder to play and digitise same is also a problem

RSR

Post by RSR »

Respected Sir,
First, I pray God to give you many more years of good health .
I am a 77 now. and have been an ardent fan of NC.Vasanthakokilam.
I am maintaining a site for all her available songs at
https://sites.google.com/site/ncvasanthakokilam
It seems to be a popular site.
If we google for ncvasanthakokilam, it will appear in first page itself.
Her concert songs are so very rare to get. Kindly reserve all tapes of NCV for me. I will surely arrange to convert the taped concerts into mp3 format and place them in my site with due acknowledgement to such a vetran like you.
I will send email also to you in a day or two and send the address to which you can send it in either Chicago or Toronto.
Once again praying the Almighty for a pleasant, peaceful and purposeful life.
Best Regards,
RSR
(rs.ramaswamy@gmail.com)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 23:42 Thank you, Nick. Yes, we did meet at the Academy for Sangeetha KalAnidhi Vedavalli's inaugural function concert.
By the tea window? See how much better your memory is than mine, even though a decade older.
My niece and I also had the pleasure of the company of a few fellow rasikas including you enjoying the hospitality of Mr. Nageswaran for a luncheon meeting at his house when Ramesh (MKR) gave us a demonstration of GNB's bANi. Nageswaran and MKR are no more. Time and tide wait for no man. Fond memories indeed !
Maybe that was my first meeting with MKR, but my memory is jumbled. I recall a niece talking to me: she may very well have been your niece. Forgive! Sometimes nieces can be more memorable than uncles! :oops: :lol: :oops:

It has been a bad year. Not only for the loss of those two great rasikas and friends, but for the fact that I missed what would have been my last opportunity to see them :(

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@Sundara Rajan Sir
You March towards Semmangudi and Thanjavur Sankara Iyer. You are just 87 years young. Appreciate all that you have offered . If possible do the following sir

Find some volunteers in orlando area by contacting youngsters and kids who are below to just come to your home . THey can just catalog the casettes and Cds as per main artist name . Atleast do that for artist and performances from 1950 t0 1995.

You only may have some recordings say of GNB,SSI,MMI and even ARI. Also possibility of say some recordings of Ramnad krishnan , LGJ, MLV ,Mali, TRS, SKR ,early mandolin srinivas, KSGopalakrishnan, Santhanam ,those US tours are all precious. I recollect one treasure shared by Late Washington TN Bala who recorded TS balakrishna sastrigal US tours.

Then publish that list of catalog in this forum . Then let interested folks take that and digitize it .

Some folks in sangeethapriya indeed browse the forum .They can also approach you please.

Historical anecdote:
-----------------
About 10 plus years late Nageshwaran once called me to his home .That was the time he was about to move out of his house planning to demolish his home and construct a flat.He showed me about 200 to 300 casettes/cds and he wanted to give lots of that to me . I did segregate few of that and helped him group.Particularly his MSG collection was mindblowing. I then helped externalize partly those and nageswaran sir was approached by few artists and lot of collectors . I am not sure how much was digitized but it certainly has found its way.

Bottomline break up that 1500 collections , roughly catalog , publish the list in internet and distribute. Best wishes for your immediate catalog and publishing of your collections .

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I fervently hope something tangible turns out of Sri Sundar Rajan Sir's generous, laudable offer.

Well, I too was there at Nageswaran sir's house on the occasion referrred but at a loss to remember details. But I think Sri Nageswaran had videoed the proceedings. Perhaps a more youthful Nick could throw more light about this!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 10:53Perhaps a more youthful Nick could throw more light about this!
It is my guess that you are the more youthful of the two of us, in more ways that just years! But especially, you have a rasika's memory, whereas mine was bad to begin with and has only got worse.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 10:53 I fervently hope something tangible turns out of Sri Sundar Rajan Sir's generous, laudable offer.
I hope so too. The tech savvy folks among us may not value this as much but I know there are numerous people there who are more comfortable with picking up a cassette tape, reading through the info, popping it in to the tape player and press a button to listen to the songs. Just like how we all used to do 25+ years back. We need to set this up with a few people like that. Sundar Rajan has even offered the players.

Just stating what may be obvious here so that it kindles some thoughts as to who such people are and make their lives just a tad bit better by getting the tapes to them. It is not just SundarRajan's collection in the US but I am sure there are numerous donors who would like to part with them and numerous others who would still like to use them. That match making requires some concerted attention and effort.

Rajan Padiachi

Post by Rajan Padiachi »

Aum
i wish i was near to collect it , i am in South Africa and i collect classical North and South music
i do have equipment to convert to digital. i ahev just completed my conversion of 700 cassettes recorded in Madras in the 80'S and about 450LP'S.
If there are any sponsors for the postage i can do the conversion then make available the digitised version on some platform.
aum
Rajan Padiachi
Jhb
South Africa
whatsapp +27 083 453 7323

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Dear fellow Rasikas:
I am pleased to report that I found some one in Boston, MA, who was interested in receiving my collection and digitize and put it to good public use. The cassettes have been sent to him. Thank you all for your well wishes and useful suggestions.
Sundara Rajan
Last edited by Sundara Rajan on 05 Sep 2020, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Super sundara rajan sir. Please also update the digitization effort progress, either you or the boston resident can update.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

good news.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I should have stated that all of my cassettes were digitized before I posted my message.