Neyveli R Narayanan

Carnatic Musicians
NadhopasanaUSA

Neyveli R Narayanan

Post by NadhopasanaUSA »

I don't think there is a post for Sri Neyveli R Narayanan in the 'Vidwans and Vidushis' section.

He is one of the sought after senior mridangam artist today. Senior vidwans like Sri TVS, Sri TNS , Sri MSG, Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan, Smt.R Vedavelli, Smt Sowmya, Sri Malladi Brothers etc have always sought his accompaniment. Sri Narayanan is also consistently sought after by younger generation torchbearers such as Sri Abhisek Raghuram, Sri Sakethraman etc.

A 'A-Top' AIR artist, I have always enjoyed his accompaniment for songs with his sensitive playing and pauses at the right places. His thani avarthanams have always been intellectual, yet full of melody. As a Guru, he is a great inspiration to all his students.

His style speaks volumes of his lineage under Sri Tanjavur Upendran and Sri Umayalpuram K Sivaraman.

It would be nice to get feedback / contribution to this post from other fourm members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdsLx9auOdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfgeLbRM8k

mahavishnu

Re: Neyveli R Narayanan

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you for starting this thread. Interestingly, I just posted about Sri Narayanan in the Jayanthi Kumaresh kutcheri review thread, a few moments ago.

Sri Narayanan is one of my favourite mridangists on the scene today. Excellent nadham, anticipation and kaNakku as well. He blends the Upendran and UKS styles to create his own unique sound. His arrai chapu has such a unique ring to it.

Personally, I have heard him most with Smt Sowmya and more recently with Abhishek. I also enjoy his superb performances with instrumentalists like Jayanthi Kumaresh, Ganesh-Kumaresh and others. The clip with MSG (posted above) is a very good example of his ability to blend in with the violin, both through his sarvalaghu style and more complex patterns.

Another thing I admire about him is his perfect posture while playing the mridangam. He always uses the classical posture as seen in this picture, just like his guru UKS. This adds to his solid presence on the stage.

I believe he is also a scholar of some repute in music theory with an advanced research program in the structure of rhythms. I am told that he was also highly involved in helping with Dr. Somwya's experiments for her PhD thesis on the effect of temperature variations on mridangam tuning.

NadhopasanaUSA

Post by NadhopasanaUSA »

Hello Mahavishnu, thank you for contributing to this thread. You are absolutely correct, Sri Narayanan has post graduate in rhythmology from Madras University, and he is pursuing his PhD as well.

He also had the privilege of sharing the stage with the Grammy Award winner, Tabla Wizard Maestro Zahir Hussian along with Violin Vidwans Sri Ganesh Kumaresh. He has also accompanied great Vidwans such as Sri T.V. Sankaranarayanan, Sri K.V. Narayanaswamy, Sri T.R. Subramanyam, Sri O.S. Thyagarajan, Sri T.N. Krishnan, Sri Mandolin Srinivas, Sri Flute Ramani, Sri Chitravina Ravikiran etc as well. Which only echos your views on his accompaniment style.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I like his playing that too for krithis that have a great speed
Is there any recording of him playing with TRS ,I would love to hear that.

There is a website of his, http://neyvelinarayanan.com/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Neyveli Narayanan is a fanta fabulous mrudangam artist - who has learnt from two top gurus Late Tanjore Upendran and living legend UKS . His naadham is fantastic . His style is to keep the kalapramanam intact with may be a slight higher speed that gives a fantastic contrast to krithis.

One of the finest krithis is Sukhi EvarO to demonstrate mrudangam that too when the singer is from ganakaladhara school. Brilliant patterns from Narayanan especially from the anupallavi all the way with such great rotations with chandrasekara sharma and also a crisp and lovely tani. Needless to say his play in ma da da ni pA pA patterns of mrudu angam was wow

Neyveli Narayanan did few things to interact with me personally. Once I think in ratnagirieeswarar temple atleast 8 to 10 years back i think concert was either vijaysiva or abhishek , he talked with me and said he knows me . I have smiled at him once or twice near vanimahal , he always has got the same smile like his illustrious guru UKS . All said brilliance all through with right roll and sarvalaghu , most important fantastic naadham.

https://youtu.be/5hWCB0NQUf0?t=3166

p.s Thanks Mudhra they are doing fantastic recording . They encourage by also brining a young violinist Krithik Kaushik who recently got awarded then and pair with seasoned Suryaprakash-Neyveli Narayanan and another genius in the making chandrasekhara sharma