Kanakangi

Rāga related discussions
balusatya

Post by balusatya »

came to know that this Raga may be dealt with by smt Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam in today's concert @Partha.
Last edited by balusatya on 17 Dec 2008, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Sir , Can you please give more details - Are you referring to the first mela ragam - Kanakaangi? What was the song and was that featured as a main or submain of the concert ?

N Sridhar

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

yet to hear.

vijay

Post by vijay »

One would imagine more compositions given that is the first Mela although it is just an accident of Venkatamakhin's sequencing. The following link provides the lyrics of Thyagaraja's composition which is the only one in the raga other than Koteeswara Iyer's (who has covered all the Melakarthas)

http://www.karnatik.com/c2833.shtml

The lyrics strike me as rather Deekshitar-ish and not only because the song is in SAnskrit (the description says Telugu). This is the first time I have seen a reference to Guruguha in a Thyagaraja krithi. Can anyone throw more light on this kriti/renditions by Vidwans

Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, this raga has been incorporated into the Dhrupad repertiore - Dr SAnyal sang a wonderful piece at his Academy sans "Vivadhi effects" and with complete grasp of the swarasthanas. I wonder how the swaras G1 and R1 are actually pronounced by them - do they go SRRGMPDDS or the way it is done in CM. Any recordings available commercially or to dowload?

arunk

Post by arunk »

I think some people think this is a spurious Thyagaraja krithi. Anyways, we had discussed kanakangi in the mela ragas thread (we had energy for the first few melas :) ) - http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ragas.html

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Vijay: I don't know why you thought there were only two songs in this raga. Here are some others.

Annaiye amizhde arum tamizh taye ayiram koti-Adi-Tamizhnambi
Brahma vishnu maheshvara-Adi-Rama Rajan
Chanuramalla (lng)-Triputa-Govindacharya
Kakara rupa patumam-Adi-R.Vishveshvaran
Kanakamaya bhushani katyayani karunarasa-Adi-Ashok R.Madhav
Kanakambari karunyamruta lahari kamakshi mamava-Rupaka-Muttusvami Dikshitar
Kanakangaka sukha guha-Adi-Kotishvara Iyer
Kanakangam-Chapu-Bangalore S.Mukund
Kanakangi-Adi-Bellary Sheshagiriachar
Kanakangi ragam-Rupaka-Abraham Panditar
Manavinivuma-Adi-Ramasvami Shivan
Ninnai sharan adainden devi kanyakumari-Chapu-Cuddalore Subramaniam
Rara rara ramayani vemaru piluva puja cheyu narhat- -Sriramachandra Murti Sistla
Ravi chandragni teja-Rupaka-R.K.Suryanarayana
Shanmukha unai nambinen santatam arul sheiguvai-Adi-D.Pattammal
Shri gananatham bhajamyaham shrikaram chintitartha-Adi-Tyagaraja
Shri ganapati-Adi-Dokka Sriramamurti
Shrisha putraya namostute vighna vinashaya vibhava-Rupaka-Balamuralikrishna
Ullam urugi urugi anbu aghado parama-Rupaka-Shuddhananda Bharat
Vara siddhi vinayakam sanchita-Rupaka-R.K.Suryanarayana
Venkatesha- -Sriramachandra Murti Sistla
Dasharatha bala dasajana pala-Adi-Pallavi Shesha Iyer

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

What a show Mr.Lakshman!
I never knew there were so many kritis in Kanakangi.
Thank you really for the info!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kanakAngi rAgam has been so beautifully handled by genius isaignani illayarAja in this song "mOham eNNUm" in the film sindhu bhairavi. Incidentally illayarAja got his first national award for a tamil movie (though he had got few before in telugu..)

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=FJp2KqnGg4w

mods:
sorry for the digression cant think of a better sticky kanakAngi than this , a case in point where film music has produced a more sticky number than a typical carnatic krithi/varnam

vijay

Post by vijay »

Wow! Thanks Lakshmanji! The Karkatik.com page lists only 2 krithis. But of course it would be unfair to compare your encyclopedic knowledge with any other source!

I am now listening to Dr. Rajkumar Bharati's rendition of Sri Gananatham, right now. Rajesh, will listen to the Illayaraja song

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:I think some people think this is a spurious Thyagaraja krithi. Anyways, we had discussed kanakangi in the mela ragas thread (we had energy for the first few melas :) ) - http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ragas.html
Ha ha - If there is sufficient enthusiasm and participation, we can move on from the 2nd chakra!

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vijay wrote:One would imagine more compositions given that is the first Mela although it is just an accident of Venkatamakhin's sequencing. The following link provides the lyrics of Thyagaraja's composition which is the only one in the raga other than Koteeswara Iyer's (who has covered all the Melakarthas)
BTW, Prof R Satyanarayana, contrary to most other musicologists places the Shadjagrama to be kanakAngi-ish than kharaharapriya-ish. Right now, I still have to read it in detail to see what his arguments are.

-Ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

ramakriya - yes we can (to the amusement of some ;-) )

i would like to hear those arguments as math-wise (if you assume 2 sruthis > 3 sruthis > 4 sruthis in terms of pitch interval - not a bad assumption), IMO it cannot reconcile with Bharata's experiment - the kharaharapriyaish scale can.

IIRC, the main reason for the kanakangi being "first mela" is because of the confused nomenclature on what are the suddha swaras - ( i.e. mukhari (venkatamakhin) <=> suddha-mukhari (dikshitar) <=> kanakangi (govindacharya)) which of course started with rAmamaTya and thus earlier than venkatamakhin. Ramamatya also names mukhari as his first mela.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 16 Jan 2009, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:
IIRC, the main reason for the kanakangi being "first mela" is because of the confused nomenclature on what are the suddha swaras - ( i.e. mukhari (venkatamakhin) <=> suddha-mukhari (dikshitar) <=> kanakangi (govindacharya)) which of course started with rAmamaTya and thus earlier than venkatamakhin. Ramamatya also names mukhari as his first mela.

Arun

That is what I thought too. But the Prof is saying otherwise. Since I have not read completely, can't comment on it.

He even says the reason for Purandara for choosing mAyAmALava gouLa for beginning lessons was its relation with shaDja grama rAga.

-Ramakriya

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

it is possible to reconcile mukhari with suddha mukhari and hence discover KanakAngi. If we sing phrases like rmpD, rmpnD,RmpdndS/ND*(here suddha) and then rmpD/D*pm where suddha follows chatushruti, onegets the uttarAnga chaya of Kanakangi/ Suddha mukhAri.
Occasional use of suddha ri will transit completely into kanakangi.

vijay

Post by vijay »

That's was very illuminating Ramakriya, Arun and Keerthi. Arun is it possible to use Keerthi's hypothesis to make Kanakangi/"expanded" Suddha Mukhari fit with the Shadja Grama?

arunk

Post by arunk »

not sure. It is perhaps a proposal to explain how mukhari of today (in its old form then) came to be interpreted as suddha-mukhari/kanakangi. However, the texts are very clear that "old mukhari" (i.e. suddhamukhari) had suddha-rishaba, suddha-gandhara, suddha-madhya, suddha-dhaivata and suddha-nishada. In these texts, there was also sadharana-gandhara as well as kaisiki nishada then - both used in mukhari we know today and not present in suddha-mukhari. And there is little doubt that the positions of these swaras as mentioned in venkatamakhin's work are the same as we know today. So IMO, this proposal still is incomplete in the sense it leaves much unanswered.

IIRC, venkatamakhin (or is it muddu-venkatamakhi? not sure) ALSO had a mukhari under sriraga mela i.e. 22. So its not entirely that mukhari of today was not there then - and was somehow interpreted as suddha-mukhari/kanakangi.

However, as I had mentioned elsewhere, in spite of the fact that I consider this mis/re interpretation as "most probable given available data", I am still somewhat confounded that first mela with all suddha-swaras *of today* came to be called mukhari in the old texts.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 16 Jan 2009, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Can someone explain what shaDja grama is?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by sramaswamy on 17 Jan 2009, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

prior to about 14th century AD, all musical treatises talk about a system (later) called "grama-murchana" system (i.e. to contrast with the mela system) - this goes all the way to Bharata's natya sastra. At the base of the system, there were 2 gramas (actually 3 supposedly originally - Bharata says it is not practiced in the mortal world, although a couple of treatises talk about it)), which can be viewed as a "set of tones" (that could be interpreted as a scale). The two are sadja grama and madyama grama (the third one was the gandhara grama). Of these sadja grama was considered the first one.

The sadja grama "scale" (or tone-set) was always considered as the most pure by the texts.

Arun

vainika

Post by vainika »

vijay wrote: Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, this raga has been incorporated into the Dhrupad repertiore - Dr SAnyal sang a wonderful piece at his Academy sans "Vivadhi effects" and with complete grasp of the swarasthanas. I wonder how the swaras G1 and R1 are actually pronounced by them - do they go SRRGMPDDS or the way it is done in CM. Any recordings available commercially or to dowload?
Bahauddin Dagar's kanakAngI and rAgavardhinI on the Makar label, 1998
see
http://www.medieval.org/music/world/cds/mak033.html

I haven't listened to it but would like to...
Last edited by vainika on 17 Jan 2009, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks Vainika - let me see if I can try and get it. There was also a clip posted on MIL I think but it would not play...

vijay

Post by vijay »

I just noticed it should be SRRMPDDS in my post above!

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear CM devotees , Pranams to all of u. Please view and lisen to my comp[osition BRAHAMMA VISHNU MAHESWARA AMSANE' glorifyuing KAnchi periyavaL. Ref/http/www.karnatik.comc3477 shtml , Self RENDITION and also by Smt Rajee gopalakrishnan with Alapanai which is so beautiful .RADHE KRISHNA !
KR
Last edited by vageyakara on 31 Mar 2009, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

A (film?) song in Kanakangi - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTq97w72Sgc

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hi every CM devotee,
Please view and listen to my composition in KanakAngi. Ref: http://www.karnatik.com/c3477.shtml
brahma vishNu mahEshwara hamsanE. Rendered by me and by Raji with a detailed alapana

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sri. Ramaraj's composition, sung by him and Smt. Raji Gopalakrishnan has the right bhava with the vivadhi swaras nicely rendered. But the youtube song sounds quite a bit generic with occasional resemblance to kanakagi. Is that fully in kanakangi? The thanam in the first minute sounded more Thodi'ish ( though I can tell it is not quite thodi ). Is this a case of the singer applying thodi style oscillation to kanakangi?

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Thank you very much VK madam .You are abaosluely correct.The reason beheind the dubious reemblanmce of ATHODI (YOUTHTUBE) IS DUE TO THE USAGE of sadharanaghandaram instead of sudh
ghandharam Since kanakaangi which is the one and the only ragam which has all sudha swaras.it has to be dealt with care. Given this back round Raji has simply excells in rendering vivaadhi Ragams with consummate skill.In this context it may not be out of place to request u to listenm to her RASIKAPRIA which yet another difficult ragam in which she has rendered a RTP innher Music Academy co ncert and enthralled th e audience and earned a name "RajiRasikapriya"
KR

Charan

Re: Kanakangi

Post by Charan »

Anyone send me the notation of kanakambari karunyamrutalahari - deekshitaar please