Karunai seididal aagaado Varnam - Lyrics and meaning

Classical Dance forms & related music
preyas

Karunai seididal aagaado Varnam - Lyrics and meaning

Post by preyas »

I am trying to find the composer for this varnam along with its lyrics and meaning. Some one had quoted that it was Papanasam Sivan. They also say that it is similar to Manavi Cheko - Both are in Sankarabaranam. I have not been able to locate the audio for this song, nor its lyrics nor the composer. Can some shed some light on this varnam. Guru Radha seems to have performed it in Chennai a number of times.

ardhanariswar

Re: Karunai seididal aagaado Varnam - Lyrics and meaning

Post by ardhanariswar »

The entire varnam is on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTeyW8uhhdw
It's an arangetram of one of Guru Rhadha's disciples. Its sung by Sudev Warrior.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is very difficult to figure out the lyrics from the video. The audio quality is poor.

preyas

Post by preyas »

I did try to track down the varnam online through searching for the composer. I could not. I am not sure if there is a place to validate if this was Papanasam Sivan composition.

preyas

Post by preyas »

I came across the lyrics. I am posting it in case someone might need it.

KARUNAI SEIDIDAL AAGAADAA EZHIL MIGUNDA ENDAN SWAMI

KAADAL UN MEEDIL MEERUDE

THIRUMAADA MAYILAI NAGARIL THIGAZHUM SREE KAPAALEESAA

NAADAN NEEYE ENDREN NENJIL NICHAYAMAAY NAMBINENAE

CHITTAISWARAM

PAAR PUGAZHUM SUNDARAANGANE UNDANAI NAAN ANDARANGAMAAY NINAIKKAVE
APPOZHUDEN MADI MAYANGI VIRAHAMENUM SAAGARAMADIL MUZHUGINAEN IDU THARUNAM

CHARANAM

MODEE ENO EZHAI EN MEL

1-SWAMI EN MEL KUTRAM EDUM KANDADUNDO

2-MAARAN KARIMBU VILLIL VEGAMUDAN VARAVE BAANANGALIN THOLLAI THAALA MUDIYAVILLAI

3-SURAADHI PATHI ENA DARAADARAM PUGAZHUM PARAA ADIYAVAR CHARAA CHARAM ARIYUM
DHEERAA VIRAINDU INGU VAARAAY KADAIKKAN NOKKI PAARAAY KAVALAIGAL THEERAAY ADIMAIYIDAM

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks for the lyrics.

sands98

Post by sands98 »

Happy day.

Can you please post word meaning of this varnam.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Sandhya sankar

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Give me a day or two.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here you go. I have corrected some of the text posted by Preyas, based on what I heard in the link posted by Ardhanariswar and the associated abhinaya. If I understood correctly, this varNam follows the varNamaeTTu of the uber famous padavarNam in SakarAbharaNam, manavi(ni) cEkOnarAdA. Is that correct? Do these two varNams share the same notations?

The caraNam, and the caraNasvarams and their sAhityam that follow remind me of the gamaka-less nOTTusvarams of Sri muttusvAmi dIkshita.

pallavi
karuNai seidiDal AgAdA ezhil migunda endan sAmI kAdal unmIdil mIRudE

Will it not be possible (AgAdA) to shower (seidiDal) [1] your compassion (karuNai), my (endan) handsome (ezhil migunda) lord (sAmi)? (My) love (kAdal) for you (unmIdil) [2] is becoming excessive (mIRudE)!

anupallavi
tirumADa mayilai nagaril tigazhum SrI kapAlISA nAthan nIyE enRen nenjil niccayamAi nambinEnE

I definitely (niccayamAi) believed (nambinEnE) in my (en) heart (nenjil) that (enRu) you alone (nIyE) are my lord (nAthan), Oh kapAlISa, who is so resplendent (tigazhum) in the town (nagaril) of Mylapore (mayilai) which is like the holy street leading to the temple (tirumADa) [3].

ciTTaisvara sAhityam
pAr pugazhum sundarAnganE undanai nAn antarangamAi ninaikkavE
appozhuden madi mayangi virahamenum sAgaramadil muzhuginEn, idu taruNam (karuNai seidiDal…)

Oh handsome one (sundarAnganE) [4], who is praised (pugazhum) by the entire world (pAr), as I (nAn) started to think (ninaikkavE) of you (undanai) in an intimate manner (antarangamAi), at that very moment (appozhudu), my (en) mind/heart (madi) became confused (mayangi), and I drowned (muzhuginEn) in an ocean (sAgaram adil) of sorrow caused by separation (viraham enum), this (idu) is the time (taruNam) (won't you shower your compassion…).

caraNasAhityam
mODi enO Ezhai en mEl

Why (EnO) are you being this disagreeable (mODi) to me (en mEl) [5]

caraNasvara sAhityam 1
svAmi en mEl kuTRam Edum kaNDadunDO (mODi EnO…)

My Lord (svAmi), have you found (kaNDadunDO) any (Edum) fault (kuTRam) with (mEl) [6] me (en)? (Then, why are you being disagreeable to me?)

caraNasvara sAhityam 2
mAran karumbu villai Endi varugayilE bANangaLin tollai tALa muDiyavillai (mODi EnO…)

As manmatha (mAran) comes (varugayilE) carrying (Endi) his sugarcane (karumbu) bow (villai), it is not possible (muDiyavillai) to tolerate (tALa) the torment (tollai) of his (flowery) arrows (bANangaLin). (Oh lord, why are you being disagreeable to me?) [7]

caraNasvara sAhityam 3
surAdhipati ena darAtalam pugazhum parA aDiyavar carAcaram aRiyum
dhIrA varaindu ingu vArAi kaDaikkaN nOkki pArAi kavalaigaL tIrAi aDimaiyiDam (mODi EnO…)

Oh supreme lord (parA) who is praised (pugazhum) all over this earth/world (darAtalam) as (ena) the master (adhipati) of the Gods (sura), the skillful and intelligent one (dhIrA) perceived (aRiyum) by his devotees as well as all the animate (cara) and inanimate (acaram) beings in this world, please come (vArAi) here (ingu) quickly (viraindu), and look (nOkki pArAi) [8] (at me) from the corner of your eyes (kaDaikkaN), and put an end (tIrAi) to my worries (kavalaigaL), (why are you being disagreeable) to (iDam) your devotee (aDimai)?

FOOTNOTES
[1] seidiDal literally means ‘to do’, ‘to create’
[2] ‘For you’ in English works out to ‘on (mIdil) you (un)’ in tamizh
[3] mADavIdi refers to the main road(s) that lead to the temple, but I think Sri Sivan is saying that the entire town of Mylapore is like a mADavIdi leading to the kapAlISvara temple
[4] sundarAnga – literally means one with a handsome (sundara) form/body/limbs (anga)
[5] Being disagreeable in this instance refers to the fact that kapAlISa is ignoring the nAyika, plunging her into the depths of sorrow caused by pangs of separation
[6] Fault with me in English works out to ‘fault (kuTRam) on (mIdil) me (en)’ in tamizh
[7] The torment of manmatha’s arrows are magnified several-fold when the loved ones are apart
[8] nokku and pArAi both mean the same - they're used together for emphasis, I think.

There is one more caraNasvara and sAhityam, with the composer’s mudra (rAmadAsan), but I could not catch all the words from the video link that was posted eons ago. Here are the words I am sure of. If someone can fill in the rest, I can translate that verse as well.

caraNasvara sAhityam 4
painkiLigaLin mozhi yennai varuttudE kuyilin isai sevi tuLaikkudE
edum aRiyAda pEdai yenadu nenjil niRaindu varundaviDalAgumO
parama kRpAkaran unaiyE nAn ninaindurugi……….
…………..rAmadAsan pugazhum, manam bhajikkum ……

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »