“SR2M1PD2S S(N3)D2PM1G3R2S”

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
new_yorker

Post by new_yorker »

In the Carnatic domain, the major tonic is parent to three ragas that share very nearly identical scales, yet are strikingly different in their scope, presentation and aesthetics. Curiously enough, Devagandhari, Arabhi and Shyama were all featured in Kunnakudi Balamuralikrishna's pleasing Mother's Day recital in Queens, New York, a concert that I recently remembered after almost a decade.

Arabhi is clearly the instantly recognizable of the three - extensively chartered by composers and ubiquitously embraced on the concert platform, the raga lends itself admirably to both scalar and bhava-infused interpretations. Anthropomorphically speaking, Arabhi is that dependable sister who aced her classes in college, did Harvard law, married a banker and now lives in the Connecticut ‘burbs with her three kids. Well-defined and picture perfect, her gamakams are crisp, her beauty unequivocal - there's a place for Arabhi everywhere from the off-key "Sadhinchane" sung by the maamis at your local Tyagaraja Aradhana and in the repertoire of that venerable artist with decades of concert experience under her belt. Almost everyone has a good word for her, cognoscenti and lay alike; some are envious, others in awe, of her tremendous success and beauty.

Shyama is our girl-next-door sister, with a personality that is at once soothing and phlegmatic. Sure, she's a doting wife to her high school sweetheart husband, a wonderful mom and an extremely sweet person, but her scope is rather limited and her ideas become repetitive beyond the occasional "Annapurne" or "Manasa Sancharare." Curiously enough, everyone has a good word for her also, but sadly, this might be the only thing she shares in common with her older, more brilliant sister, Arabhi. Surely it isn’t the nishadam that makes all the difference?

Devagandhari is definitely the wild one - artsy and highly stylized in her phrases, her beauty is timeless and classic. She dropped out of Wellesley (experiments with marijuana first, then heroin?) and now lives in her hip (read: poor) Lower East Side studio. Highly nuanced and layered, her gamakams are quintessentially representative of the Carnatic genre (think Surutti, Yadhukula Kamboji). You don't simply ask this sister out on a casual date! Instead, you explore the gamut of her personality and learn a new phrase every time you hear an exposition of the raga. Her moods are as variegated as her personality: from the soulful and resonant “Enneramum Undhan” to the sprightly “Vinaradhana Manavi”, topped off with a brisk set of swarams, that serve as an instant reminder that she shares the same genes as Arabhi, and that she could be equally as successful in a parallel universe. You cringe when you hear that annoying person behind you at the concert mistake her for Shyama, but then you remind yourself how cruel this raga can be, specially when you sing in the shower or dust that old violin off the shelf. Arabhi perennially haunts you on the faster phrases, while the youngest, Shyama, seemingly lurks, as if waiting to trip you up, just as you attempt that beautiful descent into the rishabam. Safe to say, of all things apropos our charming middle sister, the mantra seems to be: she calls you, you don’t call her!

Well, who wins? Why, funny you should ask, it’s almost certainly the scale, “SR2M1PD2S S(N3)D2PM1G3R2S.”

rajeshnat

Re: “SR2M1PD2S S(N3)D2PM1G3R2S”

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice post new yorker , what can i say i wish devagandhari slightly wakes up and shakes his legs in this covid season
I wish Arabi atleast wears a mask and cuts down the walk and jog with corona season.
Shyama may just have to feel content with two vaccines and not search the third booster and chase the omnicron season

Sath

Post by Sath »

Heheh, nicely done, @new_yorker. I'll be citing you when explaining the difference to others. I'll also get a chuckle when I hear these rAgams next.

svensk

Post by svensk »

I was listening to Dr.S Ramanathan's lecdem and your post, @new_yorker. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__NOsnNYLXY

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nice write up new_yorker

Sath

Post by Sath »

Heard a nice devagAndhAri by Nisha Rajagopal today, and couldn't help but look up this post and get a laugh again!

> Instead, you explore the gamut of her personality and learn a new phrase every time you hear an exposition of the raga. Her moods are as variegated as her personality:

Nails it!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Nice to know that rAg divas have started roaming the suburbs of Americana!

For Arabhi it would seem like she adorns two different accessories, but they are made of same stones, but riveted with a bit different shaped covering, albeit 22-ct gold. One pair adorns the ears and the other, the nose sides.

Her descent needs to be described as S(S')DPM1 M1' R2 S. I used some prime notation there - :ugeek: S-prime and M1-prime!