VK Manimaran, NGS, 5/Jan/2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

VK Manimaran, NGS, 5/Jan/2022

Post by sankark »

@ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDc71v9pqa0

with BRaghavendraRao, PoongulamSubramanian & KVGopalakrishnan

Charming. Miss this not.

sankark

Re: VK Manimaran, NGS, 5/Jan/2022

Post by sankark »

hamsadhwani, rasikapriya, keeravani, nattakurinji, nAgaswrALi, pUrvikalyANi whattay pk it was. the opening phrase just pulled me in instantaneously unlike many others one gets to hear. effortless ease he sings with; not striving too hard.

sankark

Post by sankark »

A good one to lend your ears to @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs32ThsK6Iw from the same channel as the VK Manimaran one.

Girijashankar - a nod to MKT in hairdo - with BAnanthakrishnan, SaiGiridhar & SKrishna

gowLai (a kriti by Ambi Dikshitar), asAvEri & now chakravAgam

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, Sankark.
I listened to Manimaran's concert now after a number of years. Yes, as you say, the effortless ease with which he sings was what made me like his singing then--a concert at Parthasarathy Swami Sabha. He sang rasikapriya there too, and it was delightful. His voice sounds deeper to me now, but that effortless quality stays.
The swara varisai in hamsadhwani flowed with ease. Then the rasikapriyA was as pleasing as before. He has verve and along with it, a contained quality. HMB's amba vANi which started vivaciously, again was tempered. His piDis were very nice. The resonance in his voice can be ascribed to his nAdaswara vamsAvaLi? The unfurling of kIravANi was agreeable. With his sandal paste gOpi, for a moment I thought I was listening to our NSG's kIravANi. The way he developed the rAgA was appealing.

vazhi maRaithirukkudE was emotive.
Fast-paced Sri Sankara guruvaram was pleasant.

Again, poise and feeling in pUchi's pUrvi kalyANi.

Two tukkaDAs (TukDA) rAmanai bhajithAl and tuLLu mada vETkai which happens to be one I haven't heard in ages in a concert, it seems. Takes me back to when Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan sang it in her sweet voice with such energy.

Manimaran also had the support of energetic and expert percussionists.