Desakshi Raagam

Rāga related discussions
chithra

Post by chithra »

Would rasikas and cognoscenti share their insights into this ragam - is it derived from Sankarabharanam (in which case, its Aro / Ava is identical to that of Bilahari) or from Harikambhoji? Some books assign the Geetham, Baya Samaya, to melam 29, making it akin to Bilahari. If that is true, what are the differences between Bilahari and Desakshi. Audio clips would help. The only audio I know about is OVS's composition in Desakshi, rendered by Ravi Kiran's group, in the CD / tape named Songs for the Nine Nights (I think).

Please dispel my confusion, folks. Many thanks,

Chithra

prashant

Post by prashant »

Not having heard much dEsAkshi, I wouldn't venture to comment on prayOgas in this raga, but on a purely scalar level, it takes N2 in the avarOhaNA which classifies it under mela 28 and clearly distinguishes it from bilahari. Haven't heard the pieces you mention - the only time I heard this rAgA was in a Malladi Brothers concert where they sang it as part of the rAgamAlikA swaram suite in the pallavi.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Chithra,
If I read what srkris posted under the sOpAnam music thread, it appears to be an ancient rAga, used in the 'sOpAnam' style of singing!
Ravi

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Desakshi is :
janya from 28.. though 29 is agreed sometimes..but not actually becoz.

Ara: S R G P D S
Ava: S N D P M G R S . here 'N' is from Harikhambhoji..

there is a Swathi thirunal composition : Saraseeruhanabha mudharam kalaye

P :sarasIruha nAbham udAram kalayE

A: caraNavi natajana vibhudhasAlam dEvam

C1: kamalAkara jalaja parimrdita tara caraNam khala dAnava kula dahana mati vashA sharaNam
amitAmala guNa jaladhi mati rucirakaraNam hara vAsava vidhi vinutam ibha tApa haraNam

2: bhujagAdhipa shayana varashayitamuru bhAsam bhuja rAjita ratha caraNa dara mamala hAsam
rajanI kara sama vadana mati mudita dAsam rati nAyaka janaka mrjumati hrdaya vAsam

3: karuNAkaramAmrta mada shamana caNa bhASam kanakOpama vasana mati rucira nija vESam
dharaNI bharAhara hara malaghu caritadhuta dOSam taraNI bhAsura bhUSaNa maNi lasita dOSam

Listen to this song in surasa.net , under people - T.K. Govinda Rao

supriyabalaji

Re: Desakshi Raagam

Post by supriyabalaji »

Is it similar to Jhinjhoti

ramakriya

Re: Desakshi Raagam

Post by ramakriya »

For those who want to get a feel of the rAga dEShakshi, you can listen to my swara composition in this rAga:
https://soundcloud.com/hamsanandi2/deshaakshi