TMK sings U Ve Swaminathan Iyer poetry

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Sachi_R

TMK sings U Ve Swaminathan Iyer poetry

Post by Sachi_R »

Dear @arasi

I have some work for you.

I am thoroughly enjoying TMK's singing here. Please explain the lyrics to me!

https://youtu.be/Qte-nOFz4CQ

There is a long Tamizh description but I don't understand it.

Others, please pitch in too!

arasi

Re: TMK sings U Ve Swaminathan Iyer poetry

Post by arasi »

Thank you Sachi for sharing tamizh thAthA's works I wasn't familiar with. A fitting celebration of him by TMK. Impressive too, because he sings all the verses--so many of them. I enjoyed listening to them too as you did.

I am not proficient enough in tamizh to deal with it, nor have the attention span to tackle a long song now. I bet one of the true scholars here will oblige. Thanks to all of them. I admire them no end.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Sachi Sir, the lyrics are conveniently given in the description, so I shall attempt a translation

Pallavi :
Be pleased to give me, your slave, the one boon of never forgetting you.

Anupallavi
O Lord (Natha), having taken abode in Tiruchendur that has dense, flowering groves, you give happiness to the devotees who trust you. O Instructor of Divine bliss! Every day(give me the boon...)

Charanam - 1

When will the day dawn when I think of your wandering peacock and your beautiful form without a break?
Am I a slave-man serving the five senses, which cause many miseries?
O Honey(like sweet one) of Tirupparankunram! O Protector of the Devas' clans !
O Gurupara residing in Pazhani that is filled with devotees who have realized that you are the omnipresent Supreme One !
O Valiant one wearing Kadamba flowers! O Best of Gods!

Charanam - 2

Wandering everywhere in this world my mind gives importance to everyone and is unsteady. It rejoices when others praise highly, and wilts even if they deride a little. O One with shoulders like the big mountains, with a charming appearance ! O Lord of the divine Deivanai and Valli! O Lord of Tiruveragam (Swamimalai) where many people of rare austerity gather, praise you with a melting heart and worship you with fragrant flowers!

Charanam - 3
You sent the sharp Vel to eliminate the distress of Nakkeerar who was imprisoned inside a mountain (cave)!
You were pleased hearing the Tiruppugazh songs of Arunagirinathar, of an unwavering heart, and gave (him) your great compassion.
O Gem that is found at the conclusion of all arts and Shastras!
O One who became a Vengai tree (kaNi) to the delight of Valli's eyes!
O One born from the eye of the great lord (Shiva) who has the heavy mountain (Meru) as his bow!
O one with a peacock as vehicle ! The singular lord of the Devas! O one dwelling in Ilandhai which has flowering tree-groves!

PS : I am not sure which place Ilandhai refers to.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajani,
Good to greet you and also to say thank you! You were there too in my mental picture when I said experts. I bet Sachi is very happy to read your fine translation :)

It was interesting to find Fiji Murugan temple when I surfed with the word ilandai but couldn't find the reference there at that impressive temple. Tamizh nADu field workers went to work in the sugarcane fields there (Bharthi's karumbu thOTTathilE). No wonder, like all immigrants, they wanted temples where they settled down. I found places called ilandai kuLam when I searched further. Is it possible some of them migrated from near one of them? Surely, this might also refer to one which U VE visited or lived nearby here in India?

You might know. Is ilandai tree associated with Murugan in anyway? I can think vEngai, of KuRinji tree which flowers once in so many years and is named as one of His trees (have once seen it in flower in Kodaikanal Murugan temple). May be, it's the kshetra tree which flowers only in the hills. Well, unless there is a song with kuRinji mentioned in it, I shouldn't go on! There is one, I don't remember all the lines now!

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

Sharing a link I thought relevant about the place Ilanthai (Ilanthai nagar in SL)
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 936758.ece

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thank you Kishore. Glad to know this missing piece of information. Nice article.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajani, Kishore,
Beginning the day reading Rajani's translation is so uplifting.

Many thanks 🙏