Pandit Shivakumar Sharmaji Passes awy

Remembering musicians of the recent past
hnbhagavan

Pandit Shivakumar Sharmaji Passes awy

Post by hnbhagavan »

Another shocking news.
Pandit Shivakumar Sharmaji Santoor passed away .
Great loss to the world of Classical music.

thanjavooran

Re: Pandit Shivakumar Sharmaji Passes awy

Post by thanjavooran »

Very sad. Ohm shanthi. RIP. Grat loss to Music world.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very sad to hear this today. Chanced upon the news while "mindlessly scrolling" through instagram. Shocked me back into mindfulness.

Among my first experiences of music from India, his stand out. I loved his concerts when he came to London.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Condolences to the family and to students--his son (s?) too, who played with him. I have heard him only on tapes and on the web.
As it happened, he was a fellow traveler once. It was a transatlantic flight. He was impeccably dressed in white silk and in white patent-leather shoes. Soft-spoken and yet making heads turn as he passed by during the flight. At the journey's end, arriving at the luggage carousel, he was standing aside when the son was looking for their luggage to arrive. The first thing I had noticed was that of an attendant at the airport retrieving a case and setting it apart afar. Meanwhile, the son was still looking, though the suitcases had arrived. Shramaji was getting restless. Then it struck me. The case put away afar must have contained the santoor. I then pointed out the Santoor case(s?) to the son, away from the carousel. He was relieved and hurried to retrieve their precious possession! Sharamji's face registered a sigh of relief and a smile to go with it.

As travelers, we all get stressed by mishaps or by missing things, but for musicians who travel, it's part of themselves, losing or not sighting the means of their art--a missing instrument--even a voice-box which malfunctions! As rasikAs, do we take them for granted at times?

May Sharmaji's students continue his heritage and may his soul rest in peace.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Condolences to a person where many associate the instrument santoor with his name. I have heard one recording of chaurasia flute with sharma ji in santoor. Om Shanthi