Sri Sankara Guruvaram nagaswaravali - doubt

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
HarishankarK

Sri Sankara Guruvaram nagaswaravali - doubt

Post by HarishankarK »

Namasthey
For subject kruthi
In the anupallavi is the first word
Sashaanka or
Saashanka ?

Most of the recordings I have heard as being pronounced as Saashanka
But recently my child’s guru told sashaanka
I asked and Guru told it should be sashaanka as it refers to the moon only and not saashanka
Any Sanskrit experts please help and confirm ?
Thank you

KKishore

Re: Sri Sankara Guruvaram nagaswaravali - doubt

Post by KKishore »

Almost all renditions use "sAshanka ratipati bAna Jala" and 2 web sources (Karnatik site and one more blog source( https://nivedita2015.wordpress.com/2020 ... atha-iyer/)
say the same word sAshanka with meaning of Fear/trepidation.

Sanskrit word : Ashanka says fear too(prounced as āśaṅkā/aashankaa) and so "with fear/reputation" looks valid imho.

Full Meaning of line from 2 souces:
(चिन्तयामि I meditate upon) Him साशङ्क-रतिपति-बाण-जाल-तूल-कालानलम् who is like the fire at the end of time (काल-अनल) for the cotton (तूल) in the form of Rati’s husband’s, i.e., Madana’s (रति-पति), bunch (जाल) of arrows (बाण), (that were sent) with fear (स-आशङ्का).

Note: I am no expert in Sanskrit but pointed to 2 sources.

Sachi_R

Re: Sri Sankara Guruvaram nagaswaravali - doubt

Post by Sachi_R »

Kishore,
I agree with Nivedita's translation.

In both Shivapuranam and Kumarasambhavam, it is depicted that Manmatha was ordered by Indra to disturb Shiva and tempt him to be attracted to Parvati. Manmatha went full of trepidation and "attempted" to shoot his famed arrows that were enough to invoke Shiva's wrath and open his third eye.