Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan

Carnatic Musicians
venkatakailasam

Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan

Post by venkatakailasam »

The unforgettable voice ....

"Doesn't Pappa sing just like our Kunjamma?" Shanmukhavadivu's voice glowed with appreciation as young Ananthalakshmi faithfully reproduced her famous daughter M.S's film songs....

"Music found me; I'm grateful to have been given a chance to take a dip in the ocean of music." Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan speaks in soft cadences...

Read more at ..

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/12/15/stor ... 670300.htm

Listen to some pasurams by her..What a voice..

E SWARA-01-Pasuram - Smt.Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan-1.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUgqycHmkNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENcQVGaea1I

She is one whose songs which my mother was very fond of...the others being Savithri Ganesan ( disciple of MMI) and another from the family of AS..VVSadagopan..
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 15 May 2013, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Re: Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Vkailasam!
Let us have more of the musical tributes to this all-time veteran of CM...

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Here's a full length concert;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjiCy7yeTg

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I know the family closely. Great loss.
I think the photo is not her.

cacm

Post by cacm »

THE PIC looks like Mrs. Jayalakshmi Santhanam. VKV

venkatakailasam

Thank you,Sir,
It was a mix up by me..

removed it..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Pasupathy!
Any idea which year the concert was?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I took this photo at her grandson's wedding a few years ago;

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That is certainly her!

venkatakailasam

some lively songs of her are here..

http://www.inbaminge.com/t/carnatic/Ana ... -%20Vocal/

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

cmlover wrote:Thanks Pasupathy!
Any idea which year the concert was?
Sorry,no.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I'm moved that Venkat K started this thread and there is so much of her music already here to be heard!

Sachi,
That picture at the end of the concert in the video is hers too.
Hope more and more of her singing is posted here and even those rasikas who had
no clue about her can also listen to her now.

venkatakailasam

Sankara Srigiri (Hamsanandi) -Swathi Thirunal

listen at...

http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=227936

Nidhi Chala (Raga - Kalyani / Tala - Mishra Chapu

http://music.ovi.com/in/en/pc/Product/A ... u-/9440979

Sukhanubhavam - Live Concert - Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan - Vocal
http://music.ovi.com/in/en/pc/Product/A ... al/9440972

venkatakailasam

Madurai R Sundar on his Guru..

I was one of the few fortunate ones to grow up in a household where music was a part of the daily routine. Thanks to my aunt, Smt. Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan. Her sonorous and felicitous voice was my first introduction to Carnatic music at a very early age.

Later when I started learning from her during her visits to Madurai, I understood what a great tradition she had imbibed in her music. Learning from the illustrious Sathur Sri. A.G.Subramaniam, Semmangudi Sri Srinivasa Iyer, Nedunuri Sri.Krishnamurthy, Sri. V.V.Sadagopan and Smt. T.Muktha, she had one of the best kriti-pAtAntarams. She had training in Hindustani music from Sri.Vaman Rao Sadolikar. Her tutelage in Carnatic and Hindustani music brought a lot of creativity into her raga expositions. Her alapana of ‘Sowrashtram’ won her the prestigious Vocal-Ladies prize in Madras Music Academy in 1943. The versions of songs she presented always had the mark of authenticity and she strictly enforced that her students carried forward the tradition. Her felicitous voice could traverse octaves effortlessly in fast speed and at the same time peg itself at a specific note like it was a huge cricket playground. The RTP in four ragas (Shankarabharanam, Todi, Kalyani and Durbar) that she had recorded for HMV while in her early teens stood testimony to her musical prowess. She had impeccable memory. I could wake her up and ask for the 6th variation in ‘chakkani raja margamu’, she would know exactly what it was. Talk about random access memory to a computer savvy. She was an ‘A’ grade artiste of the All India Radio.

Even today her presence in my concerts make me nervous. While she has a lot of affection for me as her nephew, she is one of my fervent critics.

venkatakailasam

Mithri Bhaggame (Raga - Kharaharapriya / Tala - Adi)

Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan

http://music.ovi.com/in/en/pc/Product/A ... i-/9440978

venkatakailasam

Some of the above postings require registration with Nokia...

In case ,if it is found to be difficult,

please have this link...

http://mio.to/artist/10-Classical_Carna ... Sadagopan/

venkatakailasam

venkatakailasam

SOLITHAN THERIYUMO - Hamsanandhi ...

http://soundcloud.com/pcsubramani123/so ... amsanandhi

venkatakailasam

I neither entertain any illusions nor do I have any regrets..

Most of the songs I have posted above were the ones which I have enjoyed sitting along with my mother in my earlier days and hearing them now produces some kind of excitement in me which I am unable to express…..I am able to recapitulate the occasions once again…
I am thankful to the unknown up loaders for providing the exhilaration
It provides…..

I am least concerned about those who skip as the loss is only theirs…
As they can produce only thesis on music without enjoying it….

But I am happy about the 250+ viewers who hopefully enjoyed them..

Unfortunately all her songs are in Albums which I suppose have copyright tag.. and are not available for free download..

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Listening to the full concert mentioned in Post # 196.

This is so beautiful!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Yes, that concert has so many great songs of hers. kOlam kANa vArIr and yEmayya rAma are so fresh and bright. And great energy and flow in sollithAn TheriyumO - Hamsanandhi. Thanks Venkatakailasam and Pasupathy for the links.

What a great artist!

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
And what a great woman in giving affection and spreading good will!
Let alone family, friends and musicians--even others who had met her only once (including you!) speak of her warmth.

Those who were close to her are going to feel the void she has left in their lives--particularly in their music. Her guidance, presence in their concerts and encouragement afterwards--that's what they're going to miss a lot...

I fell more in love with her at the time she welcomed my songs, cheered me all along and worked with them with love with Sumitra,
was involved in getting the songs ready for my two CDs. Just recording them while I sang them to her was enough for Sumitra to learn them.

Mami treated every line in the songs with such diligence, polished them up (with my tAlam going nowhere!), and whenever I moaned about it, would say: nIdAn appaDi ninaichuNDu irukke. TALam ellAm sariyAdAn vandirukku--to encourage me. VVS mAdiri pATTu vandirukkE! (a hype, no doubt). AK mAdiri vArthai amainjirukkE (imagine!).

A generous soul she surely was. She wanted to keep the music in my
songs the way they came to me. She put in a few fine touches, no doubt.

VK,
That last sangathi in mayilERi oyilAi varuvAi murugA was hers. When I heard Sumitra sing it to me, I was moved.

Sumitra says that working with her grandmother on the Arasi songs added to her valuable musical moments with her.

(I should thank Maduraimini again for being the catalyst in my getting some of the songs out in those CDs and for my spending some precious time with A Mami. Maduraimini had heard my songs in person and over the phone, for the past quarter of a century. It was because of her suggestion that I thought of recording them. She was the one who said--you go to Bengaluru every year. Why don't you ask Sumitra to sing your songs?).

AS was equally happy when Neela Ramgopal sang the songs in my second CD. AppA, ennamAp PADiyirukkA! were her words. It was a pleasure to see her beaming a sshe was listening to Neela at the CD release.

DA few Rasikas members are sending mail to say how happy they were to meet her at various concerts.

Didn't want to go on about the CDs, but couldn't help it. They brought her even closer to me, and I couldn't help sharing that experience. Thanks to all who have brought a lot of her music for us to listen to at Rasikas.org.

A thought while my mind still hovers around AS MAmi. It seems to be the case with most mature CM musicians. They seem to gain more listeners after they are gone :( Another vidushi in the family, Jayalakshmi Santhanam (may she live long!) is an example of the not-very-well-known artistes from yester years.

While I admire the younger generation of rasikAs for worshipping long-gone veterans, I would also appreciate their sensitivity in paying attention to the merits of today's artistes before dismissing them. We don't have to wait for a whole new generation of rasikAs to arrive years from now to appreciate them (just in line with our adoring the great musicians who are no more with us).
The reason I bring this point up is because: today's performers deserve our appreciation if they have merits (the standard by which they are judged surely is very high). They are under scrutiny at all times. The 'old golds' were shielded because the media neither followed them to every concert in every town, nor were they written about as widely as they are now and are given instant critiques which can be heard (read ) not by just a circle of friends but by as many as you can imagine who can read them on the web!

A separate thread for this subject, I know, we have talked about it too, yes, but it's a sobering thought for me when we hear that AS wasn't known to many listeners until now!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Arasi for those pesonal recollections !
We all should be grateful to AS for bringing you (and many others) into limelight
by encouraging your innate skills !

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

arasi - can you please compose a song in AS mami's memory?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

பண்ணுடைப் பாவலர் பாடிய பதங்களெல்லாம் (பழுதின்றி)
எண்ணுடை எம் இதயத்து இசை வடிவாய் (இருத்தி)
விண்ணுடை வானவரும் வியந்து களிக்க (எமை வருத்தி)
நண்ணுதல் பயின்றனயோ அனந்த இலக்குமியே !

PaNNuDaip pAvalar pADiya pathangaLellAm (pazhuthinRi)
eNNuDai em ithayatthu isai vaDivAy (irutthi)
viNNuDai vAnavarum viyanthu kaLikka
naNNuthal payinRanayO "Anantha ilakkumiyE" !

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you CML!

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Most of my memories of mami were when I was a young girl in Madurai. I remember going to their wedding in Madurai. My sister and I sat near mama and I remember I felt proud I belonged to the groom's side! I remember the Nalangu and mami singing a song- I can't recall which song she sang. My mother knew her parents who will ask us to come to their house for all festivities. I also remember going to her Valaikappu and how we got so many bangles! Like I said, she (and her mother too) were always were very nice and took extra care of us. They were very generous too. Later I moved to various places and she moved also. I will meet her on and off. When She came to Trivandrum (Mama's house), she will come to see my mother. When I came back to Madurai from up North, mama and mami were also there and I used to go see them and they will come to see me sometimes. Then I saw her in Boston. Like Arasi says whenever I think of her, I remember how kind and friendly she was. We never thought she was related to us by marriage. I am glad to know that people who got to know her found her to be friendly. Her daughter Suja has taken after her mother not only in the arts, but also the friendliness.
Thanks CMlover for the little song on A.Sadagopan. I am sure Arasi will come up with some nice one too.

All the famous poets and musicians are always appreciated more after their time. During their life, people don't honor them well. We know how Bharathiyar was treated. His wonderful works became famous only after he was gone. His intelligence and patriotism were encouraged only by a few patrons. He suffered almost all his life. Now his poems are sung everywhere. It would be good if we could honor the old vidwans and vidushis when they are alive. Jayalakshmi Santhanam's music is drenched in traditional Carnatic style. She learnt from famous vidwans and vidushis and practiced diligently. When she teaches, she won't let the student skip a sangathi or sing it wrong ( I know as I have learned from her!). She is not somebody who just teaches and wants her student up on the stage. She will make sure that the student has learnt the kriti the way she was taught. Even though they talk about her vidwat, she is not given her due. Thanks to VV Sundaram, many people heard her here in the U.S. and those who like Carnatic music want their children to learn from her.
Thanks CM

sitaky

Post by sitaky »

Smt. Ananthalakshmi Mami's demise brings so many thoughts about our association with the family . We lived opposite Ambu (Smt. Ananthalakshmi 's mother) Mami's house. In the early sixties at our Uncle's wedding , Smt. Ananthalakshmi sang accompanied by Smt. Rukmini on the violin. Those were leisurely days and the concert went on to thrill the music lovers. In fact the marriage was arranged by Ambu Mami and so music was the staple diet at the wedding. I still remember my mother and aunts speaking about the music not only of the evening but songs that were sung at every possibilty at the wedding.I also fondly remember Pappa Mami coming home on a few occasions to listen to her records on our Grundig record changer.Navaratri on our street was an occasion of songs and classical music wafted in the air to be mingled with film numbers blaring from Thangam Theatre.
The musical soirees at Ambu Mami's were proverbial. Smt. M.S. Subbulakshmi's cousins lived next door to us . Meenu Mami was a veena player par excellence and she looked a replica of M.S. She never entered the concert circuit. She started playing late in the evening to the early hours of the morning. The swaying neem tree in front of her house and I glued to my books to pass examinations were the only rasikas. I have seen Sri. S . Balachander visit her to listen to her playing.Sometimes Meenu Mami accompanied by her maid would cross the road to Ambu Mami's . The music there was irresistible and it definitely lured her.I was a mere passive onlooker to the musical happenings on our street and today I have turned an avid listener. My only regret is what I had missed.
Sujatha , Nana and I used to go to school together in the school bus. Sujatha was always a 'prize' student. Sitting beside her one could hear her humming all the way to school.During the season ,I have attended her lec dems., Madurai Sundar's concerts and also Sumitra Nitin's. What an accomplished family!We have lost contact over the years but what would I not give to renew it. If only the pages of our lives could be turned- I would literally be at the feet of Pappa Mami and Meenu Mami.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sitaky,

What fine recollections! How our childhood experiences (especially with music) shape us both musically and as rasikAs!

sitaky

Post by sitaky »

Arasi., Here also I am a passive reader of the threads in the forum. Nevertheless. I am mesmerised by your writing. On Bharathiar Day in the school where I work I spoke on him borrowing from your translation .So many thoughts to feed young minds with! Thanks a million.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

uksharma3

Post by uksharma3 »

Recently the Hindu has restricted access to the digital pages to subscribers only.
Therefore those who have not subscribed, cannot see the contents of the above page.
Fortunately, the page has been archived and the content is visible at:
http://web.archive.org/web/201307142127 ... 670300.htm

RSR

Post by RSR »

https://solvanam.com/2013/07/19/அஞ்சலி- ... -சங்கீதக்/

A very fine and informative article from the web-mag SOL VANAM
Madam @arasi
It speaks about Saathur Subramanya Iyer also and about daughter of Smt.Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan
@Pasupathy

arasi

Post by arasi »

Endless thanks to Serpent maigre who is bringing vintage records for all of us to listen to :)
It made my day to listen to Ananthalakshmi Mami's kaDaikkaNNAl enaip pArAi (a Vedanayakam Pillai song) in PanthuvarALi.
Her voice is something else...