Aval Peyar Shakthi - Drama @NGS Main(KFA conducted) on May 03rd,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

------------------------------------------------------
Drama : Aval Peyar Shakthi
Written : Dharini Komal (daughter of Late Komal Swaminathan who was a thamizh writer,dramatist etc)

Cast : Atleast 15 dont recollect their names - million apologies
Special Shout Out : NGS Main hall renting
Sabha :Karthik Fine Arts as part of 12 day KOdai Nadaga vizha

Concert Type : it does not matter nirvana or non nirvana no sabha secy will dare to close without the climax. Any case it was open ended evening slot
Commercials : Free for rasikas

Bit of Prelude
--------------
Post Covid anything live is threatened by poor footfall . In the gamut of reaching out to more rasikas , the so called Internet cancer or Webcasting is surely eating patronage. With say Carnatic Music there is a steady transition that has happened all the way from Poochi Iyengar -Semmangudi/MS - santhanam/mlv- TVS- Abhishek and beyond. What about dramas ,is there a cho ramaswamy,is there a late Crazy Mohan , is there a KS Manohar, there were more greats even before like say K Balachandar or Nagesh acting , but all that is just hearsay .Atleast i have started as a kid with Cho and Manohar and slowly segued maximum to Crazy Mohan,S Ve shekar, Kathadi and YGeeM

Some time back since the 12 day festival was published i wanted to make it to atleast 2 , but could not make it . Karthik Fine Arts are the biggest drama patron and they decided to keep it free to encourage patronage and what other than the most iconic cultural worthy Narada Gana sabha . I was thinking being a ramzan holiday let me make it to atleast one drama as it is last in series . Also i read in the paper the drama is written by Dharini Komal . Is she connected to Komal Swaminathan was my only thought before i headed to NGS .

Komal Swaminathan who passed away in 1990s is a phenom. I recollect one drama that he penned which was televised in early doordarshan days callleed En Veedu En Kanavan En kuzhadhai where atleast then the most versatile film actress Manorama played a role as the main character . What dialogues and story layering in that drama i was surely around 15 to see the doordarshan drama , then at that time we bought a VCR , i decided to tape it atleast for another 10 years i had access to it and i even converted to VCD . But for many years i did not know that EVEKEK drama was a big hit with all , that is the power of well laid out drama - u need zero marketing it was as good as a book by Anne Frank , no selling needed . Then post 2000 i came to know that the film that i once saw where K Balachandar directed by name Thanneer thanneer is also penned by Komal Swaminathan.Only 2 that i have tasted with Komal swaminathan -kind of oru paanai sorukku(need not be onnu) rendu sOru padham

Will Dharini Komal live upto the standards of Komal Swaminathan. As i entered NGS hall i could see a bronze statue of the great NGS Seceretary Late Krishnaswami giving assurance . As i went inside, the hall is mostly full , sign of chennai bouncing

rajeshnat

Re: Aval Peyar Shakthi - Drama @NGS Main(KFA conducted) on May 03rd,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Ok no More Prelude, drama without much revelation
--------------------------------------------------------

Unlike a Classical Carnatic review where whatever you write will not cannibalize as till you hear you hardly get anything, for dramas and cinemas it is better to be bit discreet that way i hope these dramas are screened live - not internet youtube or facebook so that all of you see in live setting

Ok Cast Characters in 5 easy bites
----------------------------------
1. The plot is weaving with say a certain problem which is very much there in todays situation . Work stress where an elder sibling who got married and has a kid is not that supported by a more workaholic spouse. That is track 1 . The stressed spouse decides to relocate from RCB to CSK land

2. The second track is a younger sibling deciding to be independent and not fall in arranged marriage . The toss is between two viewpoints one is what is the fuss about arranged marriage vs future spouses have to understand long enough to commit.

3. The third track is the parents .One is retired and another just about to retire handling the 2 kids with a possibility of things going from bad to worse.

4.The fourth track is the great grand mother / great grand father track who is decisive in acting and stearing clearly towards the solution.

5. There are paraphrenalia characters around as 5th track . They are all there to act to advice , create minor problems all these are drama elements .

In drama there is no song sequence of 6 songs like cinema , so you can add more focus to drama without cinematic escapism

Ok Untieing the plot in 5 easy steps
--------------------------------------
1.Please
2.Go
3.See
4.Live
5.Drama

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Getting internal server error , not able to make 3rd post mods where even 4 lines when i submit i get internal error

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Part 3 is delayed as i had server error issues while posting

My own comparison of the two Komal appa and Ponnu
--------------------------------------------------------
I took a photo in my mobile of Dharini Komal and told her i came to see this after the lovely experience of 1980s of viewing your appa drama starring Manorama. I asked her few questions , she said this is my full length novel and i have done lot of short stories . She is damn sincere , it is not right for us to expect to match the script of the EnVeedu EnKanavanEnKuzhandai. Certainly it is a reflection of how we are in this age , 40 years back i as a grand son could connect to my grand father generation they all had far more bonding on marriage , ceremonies certainly this generation is bit less expressive atleast in the sense of spoken communication. 

All said in the cast i could connect the grandmother lady anuradha kannan who does a lot of compere for many carnatic concerts and festivals .Also the great grandfather/ Great GrandMother character was very familiar , i think i have seen him/her in Crazy mohan dramas. All the rest are new inclusive of the cute iyal who is all of 6 or 7 years who appears to be a prodigy .

Kudos to NGS-KFA-Dharini Komal and all the cast . I wish they screen more live shows. I just googled to find that the komal swaminathan DramA EnVeeduEnKanavanEnkuzhandai was first in drama live shows in 1970s then in 1985 doordarshan screened when there was a flood and then many times till 1990s. That had a such a long run , i wish this En Peyar shakthi also has a big run in live shows

Chennai rocks not just in CM but also in drama that i am partly aware ,it also rocks in dance that i am not that much aware. Only Chennai Super Kings sucks this year 2022. I will upload a photo soon .

Overall an excellent drama close to 2 hours