Suryaprakash@Madhuradhwani(Arkays Luz) on May 15th,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : Vaibhav Ramani ,student of Kumaresh of Ganesh Kumaresh fame
Mrudangam : Mannargudi Eswaran
Kanjra : BS Purushottaman
Tambura : Vaidyanathan

Concert duration/Day : 2 hrs and 40 mins - 06 30 to 09 10 pm/Sunday
Concert Type : Nirvana (no concert to follow)
sabha/Hall : Madhuradhwani(Arkays Luz)
Occasion :

1. varnam -kanamum maravom - sooryavasantha - suryaprakash
2. jaya jaya padmanAbha (RS, S)- sarasAngi-ST
swaras for 5 mins
3. dunmArga charA (R,N) - ranjani -T
5 mins alapana and 2 mins violin return
5 mins neraval in paluku bOTini sabhalOna patita

4. ninnu sevinchina(R,CS)- yadhukula kambodhi -subbaraya sastri
4 mins alapana and 2 mins violin return

5. saravana bhava guhanE(S)- kannada - p sivan
3 mins swaras
6. appan avatharitha (RS,S)- kharaharapriya - p sivan
2 mins swara

7A. meenakshi mEmudham (R N S T)- poovikalyani - MD
10 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
neraval in madhurApuri nilayE mani varlayE for 6 mins
swaras for 12 mins
7B. tani for 10 mins

8.RTP in thillang for 37 mins
8 mins alapana with 2 mins violin return
Taanam for 8 mins
pallavi and ragamaliga swars for rest of 37 mins with brief tani sketch
Pallavi was mAruthi jayamaruthi lanka vijaya maruthi mAm pAhi
swararagamaliga in thillang + KAnadA+ Rakeshri

9. Theertha karaiyinilE - mukhari + suddasArang (Malika ragams tuned by suryaprakash) - mahakavi bharathiyar
10. thullumadhu vEtkai - thirruppugazh - hamsanandi - AGN
11. brief madhyamavati sketch
Last edited by rajeshnat on 19 May 2022, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Suryaprakash@Madhuradhwani(Arkays Luz) on May 15th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

It is a joy to hear atleast three extremely creative numbers that were presented in this concert .In addition few words about the accompanists especially vaibhav Ramani whom i am hearing for the first time. Review follows

1. RTP in Thillang
------------------
Any raga attains more expansion when only presented as RTP. Thillang was kind of taken to a nattaikurinji stature . The joy of thillang raga devata and feel is so great , an exotic raga that has lot of overlap in feel and gestalt to bahudari. Suryaprakash told at the beginning of pallavi neraval that he had taken this pallavi with some changes and he told the inspiration was mahavidwan TN Seshagopalan who created the pallavi. The words maruthi & lanka clearly incorporates the raga mudra as first added by TNS . Suryaprakash took the pallavi with few key phrases of TNS and added few other phrases with the pallavi line "mAruthi jayamaruthi lanka vijaya maruthi mAm pAhi". Particularly the taanam was very well done , the ragamaliga of both kAnada drop and the rakeshri drop was aesthetic.

2. Creation of varnam and raga -sooryavasantha
----------------------------------------------------
The most respected vidwan who was a prolific vaggeyakkara was GNB. GNB created say the ragam shivashakthi. Is it not wonderful for Suryaprakash to create a ragam sooryavasantha. Ragam was very nice with the varnam being on Lord Vinayaka this can go for more concert circulation. There are two varnas one that falls at the feet with obesiance like say sarasooda or viriboni, the other like say TRS behag or BMK kathanakuthoolam varnam more a joy of celebration with gusto.This appears more like that , quite a bit of tongue twisting thamizh words .

3. Theertha karaiyinile - ragamaliga in mukhari and suddhasarang
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bharathiyar thukkadas are taken as baseline where most vidwans and vidushis retune with their musical insight. There are atleast 8 plus ragamaliga variations of this particular bharathiyar krithi. I liked this combination of mukhari and suddhasarang. He sang and tuned as well

4. Accompanist of various experiences
-----------------------------------------
Mannargudi Eswaran has completed 50 years of playing. He had tuned very well the mrudhu angam. Not that much speed but all was extremely aesthetic in madhyamakalam. BSP played with extreme confidence , he also showed quite a lot of restraint ,they also gave more air time by having a perfect 10 mins tani, in turn giving more space for RTP.

The joy of hearing a young Vaibhav Ramani was immensely satisfying with nice shruthi suddham. His low was bit on the yadhukula kambOdhi but all through he played with lot of shruti suddham,no intrusion during the course of vocal delivery . He made this concert extra special.

5. Miscellaneous
-----------------
I would not rate sarasangi that well and also only neraval without swaras in ranjani. But i liked the double fast filler with both kannada and Kharaharapriya and it was well received by me. The patron Arkay ramakrishnan sir told after a minute of alapana rendition of Kharaharapriya that the previous artist before this concert and also a day before the artist only took KHP . The melakartha 22 was truncated at fly with a brief alapana and suryaprakash quickly changed plan and sang with the sivan kharaharapriya , with lovely swara pattern. For a change i liked the demoted promotion of Kharaharapriya with appan avatharitha with fast swaras , where easwaran played with interesting pattern. For a change i liked nee nama roopamulaku replaced with just a sketch of madhyamavati alapana as full stop krithi.To the best of knowledge i have never heard this ykkambodhi number Ninnusevincha in any live concert . This krithi was popularized mostly by GNB and Brinda.I liked that and also the last minute main which was the master piece meenakshi me mudham with madura puri nilaye neraval and also well done second half poorvikalyani swaras with nice rotation by percussion team . BSP did very well in main swaras.

6.Special kudos to Arkay Ramakrishnan
--------------------------------------------
ARkay Ramakrishnan madhuradhwani is improving year on year. Addition of nice stage lights and Arkay Ramakrishnan is doing yeomen service that too giving 2 hours and 40 mins was just too special to me.IF that did not happen thillang RTP would have never happened with such elaboration.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 40 mins with zero sag.

arasi

Re: Suryaprakash@Madhuradhwani(Arkays Luz) on May 15th,2022

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
As always, Suryaprakash's concert was lively and engaging. I also could listen to some of my favorite rAgAs and kritis--and in yadukula kAmbhOdi, doubly so. A pet rAgA and kriti combined! Yes, the til-ang pleased no end. TNS-inspired at that.

Suryavasantha is an addition to his already created rAgAs. On the one hand, a varNam has a merely text book like feel personally for me. Call it my peculiar trait, I don't get to appreciate a rAgA as much in a varNam as in rAgA singing and a kriti to go with it. Neraval and SwarAs bring it home to me. That's why it's hard for me to be impressed with a varNam that easily.
Yes, there are some extraordinary varNams which stand out, even for me. I hope Suryaprakash would also compose a kriti in the rAgA to make more of an impression of this creation.

As for tIrthak karaiyinilE, I am prejudiced. I have heard several versions of it in the past so many years. However (nepotism?), VVS's rAgamAlika of it with its emotive richness is still on the top of the list for me.

I hear Vaibhav Ramani for the first time. He is very good and indeed promising. He would gel with a concert even more as he accompanies more and more. It was great to hear MAE play again--though not much, it seemed. I thought it would be a longer tani.

Sri, Ramakrishnan is someone I admire no end for all that he brings to listeners. I haven't had a chance to meet his so far to tell him how much he's appreciated.

tirupugazh: tuLLu mada vETkai