Hemavathi - Music Festival

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
CRama

Hemavathi - Music Festival

Post by CRama »

I am delighted to inform you that the book co authored by me along with Dr. Harisundar.G, titled HEMAVATHI – the musical biography of celebrated musician (Late) Padmasri Parassala Ponnammal of Tiruvananthapuram is being released on 22 April 2022 at 5.30 P.M. in the Ragasudha Hall by Cleveland Sri. V.V.Sundaram Sir and the first copy will be received by noted Guru and Violinist Sri. R.K.Sreeramkumar. Poojyasri Kasi Viswanathar Swamiji of Vedavyasa Tapovanam has kindly consented to bless the event and give his Anugrahabhashanam. The book release will be followed by a Music Festival for three days.
The formal invitation is attached. I request you to kindly treat this as my personal invitation and grace the occasion and get soaked in the following music festival.
C.Ramakrishnan
(CRama of rasikas.org)
Mob: 9445070656
Email: ramkarthik55@yahoo.co.in

arasi

Re: Hemavathi - Music Festival

Post by arasi »

So happy to hear of this three day festival in celebration of the Golden Girl as we fondly referred to her. Great to hear she is being honored in a favorite venue by musicians and rasikAs.

CRama,
Congratulations on your co-authoring a book on the grand old lady. Others singing and a listening session of her lovely music too. How apt, Hemavathy Music Chamber honoring pon AmmA!

Best wishes to everyone involved in this special event ...

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

CRama
Great. Congratulations to the team. Your services to CM will ever be remembered. Wishing the function a grand success.
Thanjavooran
19 04 2022

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama
Keep up your great work. You do know a lot about the golden girl having spent lot of time in trivandrum. This book must be a treat to understand a very accomplished but certainly not that known musician

RSR

Post by RSR »

came across this upload
Just now came across this URL.
https://youtu.be/sBqs1aYwsko
====
Vidushi Amritha Murali Concert in memory of Sangeetha Vidushi
Parassala B. Ponnammal
Concert in memory of Sangeetha Vidushi Padmasri Awardee Parassala B. Ponnammal

Vidushi Amritha Murali – Vocal,

Vidwan R.K. Shriramkumar - Violin,

Vidwan Mavelikkara R.V. Rajesh - Mridangam,

Vidwan Anirudh Athreya - Kanjira,

Vidwan N. Guruprasad - Ghatam.

On Friday, 22nd April, 2022, 6.15pm onward, Raga Sudha Hall, Luz,
Mylapore, Chennai 600004.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Congratulations CRama! You are a great role model for all of us
1. Great interest in CM
2. Encyclopedic knowledge
3. Great singer
4. Regular concert goer
5. Fair and unbiased reviews
6. Diligent researcher
7. Good writer
8. Reaches out to people.
9. Active in rasikas.org

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

well said sachi. Can some one like srk write a review of the proceedings

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Let Mr. Sivaramakrishnan also review the book please.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I attended most of the function and two of the concerts.

I have to confess that I simply won't attend these things any longer, unless, specifically, friends are involved. My previous experience of the function that took over two hours, with a mere half hour concert, caused me to make that decision!

Nothing like that here. It over-ran by a short time, but it was a friendly affair with a limited number of speakers. I was happy to see my friends on the stage and the emergent book.

I was also happy that the concert duration was not at all compromised, even though it made for a late night! RSR has given the link. Amritha's concert was mesmerisingly beautiful. Everyone's contribution has to be recognised, but the outstanding feature was the synergy between Amritha and her now-guru, RKSK.

I missed the next day's proceedings, but came for the concert of Palghat Ramprasad on the next day. Another superb concert.

I just caught the end of the guided-listening session, and here, for me was a Great Education! I caught just a very few minute's of Smt Parassala Ponnammal's voice. Astonishing! So sad that I had not taken any opportunities to see her sing.

If I remember rightly, before retirement, CRama was a bank manager. Now he has been able to make the transition to authorship and, now, even manager too. A true servant of the music.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks RSachi and Rajeshnat for your appreciating words. I know well that I am not qualified for all all those epithets. I do qualify for some of them- like passion for music, meticulous in planning and execution, hard work, reaching out to people etc. Any how thanks a lot for your kind words. I expected Rajeshnat for the book release function as a representative of the forum and also taking into account many evenings we have spent together in various concerts. Nick was there for two days and active with his camera. Sivaramakrishnan attended on all the three days from a very far away place beyond Tambaram.

The book release function started as per schedule as all the VIPs arrived in time. But speech prolonged a little and hence delayed start of the concert. There were limited speakers only, but they had close acquiantance with Ponnammal mami. Cleveland Sundaram Sir spoke about his experiences of inviting Mami to U.S. and the warmth she exuded during the entire trip. If not for Sasikiran, the Chennai audience would not have known about such a consummate musician. Never you would have seen a house full audience for a book release function in Ragasudha Hall. There was good sales of the book also. My son Karthik was in charge of book sales. Some of the gentlemen conveyed their appreciation also after reading the book. Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLCZ_VTetF4

The names of the participating musicians were mentioned by Mami herself when she was alive. She had great appreciation for Amrita Murali that Amrita Murali accompanied her in the Navarathri Mandapam. Sreeramkumar accompanied Mami in the U.S tour and many other concerts. After hearing a lec dem of RKSRK, Mami wondered openly why Sangeetha Kalanidhi is not given to him so far. Mami also mentioned about roping in Palghat Ramprasad for the concert. And all the musicians wholeheartedly participated in the concert. Jaya Balakrishnan of Ragasduha Hall also cooperated well in the success of the programme.

The concert of Amrita Murali accompanied by RK Sreeramkumar. Mavelikkara S.R.Rajesh, Guruprasad and Anirudh Athreya started at 7.30 P.M., but the concert was not chopped. It concluded at 9.30 P.M. You would not believe if I say that the crowd in Ragasudha stayed till 9.30- a good portion of the audience. Even then people were not in a mood to leave. Guru Suguna Varadachari Mami also stayed till the end of the concert. We were talking in groups and left after 10 P.M only. Normally people will not stay beyond 8.30 there. But the concert was of such intensity and craftsmanship. Amrita sang mostly Ponnammal Mami’s favourities. Merusamana, Narasimhamamava, Dwaitamu sukhama, Amba Kamakshi as main song. The alapanas of Ritigowla and Bhairavi were elaborate and her voice delivering the choicest brighas and gamakams in a measured manner. RKSRK embellished the concert significantly. Mavelikkara Rajesh is the grandson of Mavelikkara Krishnankuitty Nair and a disciple of T.K.Murthy and staff in TVM AIR. He was a good support to the concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBqs1aYwsko&t=218s

The second day started with the concert of Lalitha and Lakshmi- granddaughters of Ponnammal mami. They are blossoming singers. They have been shattered after the demise of their grand mother and yet to resume their music lessons. They sang Gajananayutham, Sambo Mahadeva with Pantuvarali ragam, Dayapayonidhe- a composition of Meesu Krishna Iyer in the ragam Jaganmohini, which is Mami’s favourite and Bhavaye Sarasanabham in Keeravani as main song. One hour concert.
SreeLakshmi Bhat on the violin and Karukurichi Govindarajan on the Mridangam provided pakkavadyam. Link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnC38UhXGs8&t=118s

The main concert of the second day was by Mami’s disciple from TVM- Sri.Gitakrishnan accompanied by Chidambaram Badrinath on the violin and Guru Raghvendra on the Mridangam. Gitakrishnan is an Engineering graduate, worked abroad for many years and now settled in TVM. He initially learnt from his father Raghunathan Nair who was a student of Ponnammal teacher. Gitakrishnan continued his lessons with Music Director Dakshinamurthy Swami, Kumarakerala Varma and Ponnammal teacher. He packed many heavy weight kritis like Yadukulakambodi Swarajati, Sankarabharanam Navavaranam, Eesanei inda, Neevadanegana, Nenarunchara, a composition of Dr.Harisundar, Devadeva in Thodi- a composition of Swati Tirunal which is special to Semmangudi and Ponnammal mami and also a brief RTP in Hemavathi- on Ponnammal Mami. The RTP had to be rushed through- due to lack of time. The concert lasted two and half hours. The concert maintained admirable standard and the pakkavadykaras provided excellent support. Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEBUmoEg1hs&t=26s

The third day started with a listening session of Mami’s NP concert containing Merusamana, Marivere (Latangi) and Thodi ragam for Sree Venkatesam of Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar. It was good recording and Mami’s voice also sounded good. Dr. Sajith, Mami’s disciple spoke of the subtle nuances in the singing. Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xJDKbOP34

The main concert was of Dr.Palghat Ramaprasad accompanied by L.Ramakrishnan, Thrissur Narendran and K.V. Gopalakrishnan. The concert started with Seethamma Mayamma with heavy dose of swaras followed by Rave Himagirikumari, and RTP. Kanada (list incomplete). It should be mentioned that the three main concerts contained the three Swarajatis of Syama Sastri without any repetition.
Link to Palghat Dr Ramprasad’s concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-qDgPYE94A

Mami’s two sons with their families and grand daughters attended the three day function. That added colour to the function and they were overwhelmed with the success of the three day Music festival.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I dont know if it was just coincidence all 3 singers took up each of the syama sastri swarajathi gems , the bhairavi, the rarest yadhukula kambodhi and the todi. Was that planned and thought through before @CRama

Sorry Crama , i had work and calls during this time , it was a monthly meet with my bosses in USA . I am glad to report that there was a Rajesh from Mavelikara who was far more active for one of the days.

At my leisure i will hear , my thought process as of now is to first start with Gitakrishnan's yaddhukula calmbodhi swarajathi. Tx also to vidwan sasikiran who did bring in golden girl to the concert , i cannot forget in my life once i heard once golden girl singing bowli , the krithi parvati nayaka of Swati and one neelambari , the song is kalakanTi katam hAram

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thank you Rajesh. The singing of three swarajatis was just coincidence. Never planned. After the concert of Palghat Ramaprasad, I asked him, how he chose Thodi swarajati. He said I saw the songs list of previous singers. They sang the Bhairavi and YK swarajati. So I sang Thodi,

We were touched by the respect and regard the musicians had for Ponnammal Mami. That was the main reason for the success of the festival.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The third Todi was surely planned as per what you stated. I just heard the YK Kambodhi by Geethakrishnan . His singing bit reminds of Thamarakkad Govindan . Then i also heard the sari evarrE -shriranjani just to check the other side of ykk swarajati. His forte is nidhanam in diction , bit more swarakalpana with more tight leash in layam with more open throated singing like his paramaguru SSI would have been more enjoyable .

i will stop here and i hope i get to hear a live concert of GeethaKrishnan, hope he turns into the league of few extraordinary students of Golden Girl like Amrutha Venkatesh and NJ Nandhini when i soon hear him in my first live concert. For both the songs Guru Raghavendra(Mrudangam) was very impressive , and also somewhat Chidambaram Badrinath(violin) and Papanasam sethuraman(Kanjira)

Thank you for brining in GeethaKrishnan

CRama

Post by CRama »

Nick, I will be much grateful if you can upload some of the photos you have taken in this forum or in our whatsgroup or send to me.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I will be editing and post-processing the pics over the next couple of days, and will send them to you.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks a lot, Nick.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Nice review and write-up
Anyone mentioned why the book is called Hemavathy?
Was this Ponnammaal Mami's favourite raga or any other reason?

arasi

Post by arasi »

HarishankarK,
As I have mentioned earlier, whatever the reason, it seems like an apt translation of the name 'golden girl'...:)

Nick,
Would like to see a few pictures, please...

CRama

Post by CRama »

Reg Hemavathy, Arasi's interpretation is correct.
Further, Ponnammal Mami learnt the HMB krit in Hemavathy- Manthrineem directly from him and has popularised the song. I have never heard the song from any body else.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@CRama I do not generally view video concerts but chanced upon the first concert and was very much impressed by the traditional culture, serenity and stage presence and bearing of the artiste. Was expecting a review of the concert but no review as yet. A viewer has given song list and his impressions...very nice selection.
https://youtu.be/sBqs1aYwsko

CRama

Post by CRama »

RSR, Reg your above post, please see may post 10 above. I am not well after this event and now only slowly recovering. HEnce I did not give an elaborate review. But my post 10 gives a brief account about the concerts.

RSR

Post by RSR »

CRama
Get well soon. Stay safe

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

CRama wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 09:20I am not well after this event and now only slowly recovering.
So sorry to hear that. Wishing back to full health soon!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

CRama avl
Pray for ur quick recovery. Stay safe.
Thanjavooran
04 06 2022

arasi

Post by arasi »

C Rama,
Rest and recuperate, please. Music will help heal. The best to you...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of the book in The Hindu dated June 15th,2022

https://www.thehindu.com/books/books-re ... 533232.ece