वन्दे मातरम् - vande mātaram

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Sachi_R

वन्दे मातरम् - vande mātaram

Post by Sachi_R »

I find many musicians sing brilliantly but with phonetic errors especially in Sanskrit. In Sanskrit there are 21 vibhakti endings and all need to be enunciated. A common example is here:

वन्दे मातरम्।
सुजलाम् सुफलाम्
मलयजशीतलाम्
शस्यश्यामलाम् मातरम्।
वन्दे मातरम्।

शुभ्रज्योत्स्नाम्
पुलकितयामिनीम्
फुल्लकुसुमित
द्रुमदलशोभिनीम्
सुहासिनीम्
सुमधुर भाषिणीम्
सुखदाम् वरदाम्
मातरम्।।
वन्दे मातरम्।

vande mātaram
vande mātaram
sujalāṃ suphalāṃ
malayajaśītalām
śasyaśyāmalāṃ
mātaram
vande mātaram

śubhrajyotsnām
pulakitayāminīm
phullakusumita
drumadalaśobhinīm
suhāsinīṃ
sumadhura bhāṣiṇīm
sukhadāṃ varadāṃ
mātaram
vande mātaram

So when someone sings
śubhrajyotsnāpulakitayāminī,
they have missed two endings
śubhrajyotsnāmpulakitayāminīm

See what I mean?

I would imagine there will be many such issues in Tamizh, such a sophisticated language too!

🙏

arasi

Re: वन्दे मातरम् - vande mātaram

Post by arasi »

Sachi,
Yes, indeed. How grand it would be if singers paid as much attention to sAhitya!I know, it's hard for the learners, especially with sanskrit and old tamizh. All we would ask them politely, is to pay attention to the words. Yes, old words are very hard for the younger generation to get right because of their antiquity in some songs. We know, it's harder for the young singers because thy do not hear or speak tamizh as their parents or grandparents did, let alone their exposure to tamizh--except in a mundane, practical way.

My wish is that when they pay as much attention to the musical grammar in their singing, they also consider singing the sAhitya correctly, at least in their own language--get the meaning and the mood of the song in order to bring out its emotional content.

Yes, it is hard, especially with sanskrit and the older lyrics in any language. Yet, it's part of the rigor of learning your art. I am certain there are many young singers who are diligent about this, but at the moment, Amrutha Venkatesh comes to mind as a good example. What I am trying to convey to the youngsters--the future of CM is--yes, bhAva can be achieved by a voice or musically appealing phrases, but experiencing the emotional impact of an old verse can certainly enhance their performance.

Am I asking for too much?

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

But शुभ्रज्योत्स्ना-पुलकितयामिनीम् is one single samasa

so it cannot be
शुभ्रज्योत्स्नाम्

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajani, I also thought so. But the original I copied from (Bengali) shows two words.

I think it makes sense to make it one word.
"Oh Mother whose nights thrill to the spotless moonlight".

If we use two words, it would be
Oh Mother shining in splendid moonlight, Oh Mother whose nights thrill us by their cool breeze...

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

That feeling of the cool night we used to enjoy sleeping on the terrace in Madras IIT...

And Delhi...

And Calcutta...

In fact a whole paradigm of Barsati was created in north India.

The covered place you rush to half asleep with your bedding and all as you rush to escape the sudden and welcome cool night showers! Located on the terrace it was excluded from FSI calculations!